Which motor?

bill

I am looking at buying an xb2003 and do not know enough about these high perf. engines. I am seeing a lot 225 pro max, 260 and 280 efi motors on these boats for sale. My question is are these motors somewhat reliable for a fishing rig. I would like a fairly quick boat and I have a decent mechanical ability. Will I be working on these engines more than running them? Is it possible to ring these motors without taking into the shop. I have experience with refreshing my 2 and 4 stroke motocross bikes when I used to race. Are these way more complicated having 6 cylinders instead of one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to gain a little knowledge before I pull the trigger on one and possibly regret the engine choice.Thank you guys in advance.
Sincerely Bill

scj

It's just an engine but having a service manual will be a must. Do not buy unless you have leak down test numbers. The 260 and 280 engines are nickasil cylinders whereas the 225's are cast sleeves. The 225x engines from the early 2000's have a very good oil injection system and the later ones can be used with Mercury's smartcraft gauge system. Most owners of all other promax engine premix as they do not trust the oiling system.
If I were looking for a 260/280, it would be a must that the leak down numbers are within tolerance and that the previous owners used a synthetic racing oil.

bill

Thank you SCJ, the 260/280s sound like a lot of fun. I am just scared to not have enough motor and end up being unsatisfied. I usually get bored pretty quickly with stuff and all of my friends seem to love that pitfall when it its time for me to upgrade!! I am trying to go to therapy for this but it is still not working. LOL
Thanks for the reply

Dave Hensley

Buy a boat without motor and send me a PM. I will put you in a 280 That will put a smile on your face a mortician can't get off

xb03fs

Get you a boat and motor and we will go boating... I only have a slightly modded 200.. Light and dry I touched 90 on my previous xb2003, it's been 83.5 on,y xb21 (84.5 downriver, 82. Up). It fished at 86 on the xb2003 and fishes 78/79 on th 21.

Go for a 225 promax or better, I have wanted one for the last 5 years but now I don't know what I want my next motor to be..3 liters are not as quick but 2.5 are not as fast....

There are a few allisons and a few performace boats in the area.

whipper

280 is the motor you will never get board with. Take up Dave on his offer and you will have as hot a xb2003 as there is. 100 Pluss and in a hurry! Trust me there's a learning curve but thats half the fun. There wont be very many boats quicker than an Allison with a 280 except another Allison with a 280 thats lighter.;) The acceleration will remind you of a CR500 2 stroke only quicker and on water.:eek:

ally2dextreme

Un
Thank you SCJ, the 260/280s sound like a lot of fun. I am just scared to not have enough motor and end up being unsatisfied. I usually get bored pretty quickly with stuff and all of my friends seem to love that pitfall when it its time for me to upgrade!! I am trying to go to therapy for this but it is still not working. LOL
Thanks for the reply
There a lot of fun but if you boat alot be prepared to spend money on gas oil and rings.If you don't have money to burn you can't beat a promax 225,if you've never had a fast boat this will keep your heart pumping for a while.

whipper

Ally Extreme is right. :D Youll be in the 90,s with a 225 Promax. That will make you happy for at least 5 years. then you can always decide what motor. who knows there might be some interesting new power buy then. its only now after 10 years that my 225 gets a little boring and Im an adrenaline junky! Not that its slow and still wows me. Its just time for a change ya know.

bill

Thank you guys for all of the educated advice, I am looking at some boats and hopefully will have one in my garage quickly!!!!

xb03fs

If you get a promax I have a svs that will be for sale when I upgrade to a 3 liter...on my 200 that and 1 of additional setback was good for 3.5 mph and some quickness

flying07

If you get a promax I have a svs that will be for sale when I upgrade to a 3 liter...on my 200 that and 1 of additional setback was good for 3.5 mph and some quickness
I may be interested in that svs for my promax if you decide to sell it. . . thanks