who to send gearcase to?

mtolley

i know that this question has been beat to death thru the years on all the boards, but yet it still seems to be very opinionated. im going to send my 200 case to someone to have a nosecone installed and a tork tab also. have talked to titus awhile back seems like a really good guy and very informative. his cases look the best i have seen,but there seems to be alot of talk that his are not as fast nor handle as good as others do. Bobs on the other hand people claim his to be the best handling and fastest but as of lately i here the quality has gone to crap and folks are having to send there case back several times to get it right. i also here nothing but good about jc's work but how do i contact him to get a price quote? Then i think that someone next to sanderson marine(cant remeber thier name) also does gearcase mods, but havent called them yet either. i want to send my case ONE TIME and get the best job i can for the money spent. its not going on a raceboat or even a racemotor,just my xb2002 with a free revving 2.5 200 that ill be fishin from and also have my family in the boat at times. yes i want it to be fast and yes i want to handle properly so i dont get thrown out of the boat due to a ill handling gearcase, so who,s my best choice and how much will it cost? mike t

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I had a 200 case done by Bob's in October and it look good and ran good. Quality seemed to be there. I have since went to a sporty.

nickens21

Had my 200 case done at Bobs, looks like they done a good job on welding, filling, and blending the cone. It handles great and performs great. Only one complaint and that is the paint. I had them just prim it and not paint it black to match the motor. The thing is they did not blast it before they primed it and some of the primer is coming off and there is still my old original black paint underneath. Maybe they need to hire a new blaster/painter. My 2 cents.

beanieoz

Banned
Hey man there will always be alot of opinions on this topic. Bobs does a good gear case but everyone I know has had to send it back, but they seem to be cheaper than others. Titus is a great guy but again has had some problems with work having to go back. Titus learned from Tooter and Tooter learned from JC. Will not get into that story, will let JC tell it for himself like he told me. JC has been doing it for a long time and tried to get out of it. That is when he sold to Tooter but people around here and others obviously want him to keep doing it and so he is. He has done all of Jaco`s world record running lower units and for me he has done four and they are perfect and stay that way. Absolutley no complaints. As far as speed and handleing, I havent ran anything better. JC gearcases and props is what we all run around here and we all love them. Just tell him what you got and what it weighs and that is it. His number is 1-256-757-5718. Good luck to you on your decision and have some fun on the water. Maybe will see out there someday. Ally Rally 08 in middle TN in Savannah.

ImbadBob

The Bob's was the fastest case on my 2003. I have not had ant work from them in 10 years. The only problem I ever had with a Bob's case was shipping damage, the U P S demolition derby thing. I am now running a Titus and like it a lot. As for the way they drive I can not tell any real differance. I have had a bit of paint peeling with every modded case. The Bob's case had the center of the nosecone about 3/8 below the prop shaft centerline and allowed the motor to be raised a bit higher, this was most likely why it was a faster case.
So how is florence SC , i used to live/ work there. Thats been a long time ago. Like early 80's
Bob

J

John Richied

Honestly where you are running a 200 Mercury, I would buy a Sportmaster and be done with it.

mtolley

bob, im a transplant here due to marraige. the ealy 80's.... i was @ 10 years old! ive heard alot of stories in the past year or so about bob's quaility. some say all is ok, then i hear of the multiple times of having to return the case because they just cant get it right. mostly due to not setting the cone up right before welding it on. like i said earlier i want to do this once! mt

mtolley

Honestly where you are running a 200 Mercury, I would buy a Sportmaster and be done with it.
john, not sure i understand the first part of your response. i have thought about buying a sporty but have "x" number of dollars to spend and there aint enough for a sporty

J

John Richied

Well a stock sporty in my opinion is good to 103-104 mph… with a 200 Merc you won’t have to worry about over 103 mph.
With a Sportmaster you won’t have to worry about cracking paint and epoxy.
The Sportmaster also has heavy-duty internals stock and the 200 gearcase surfaced (even with the pad) should have a heavy-duty bearing carrier.
So by the time you take your 200 gearcase… let’s say it’s worth $1000 as it is now.
Install a Bob’s heavy-duty bearing carrier $
Torque-tab $
Nosecone $
You probably could sell your 200 gearcase, buy a used Sportmaster and be in better shape in the long run. Not to mention more time on the water…

mtolley

i understand where your coming from now! lol i do have a hd bearing carrier and a one piece propshaft( i have a complete set of cle gears also) as well as the stock 200 stuff.

going by what used stock gearcase's are selling for on greedbay and the rest of the boating forums, i would just about have to give it away for someone to take it and still have to shell out alot of cash for a used sporty as folks seem to think there gold. hell, even on an ally if i had the sporty id have to modify it before it would handle right! but as it is the question was not what case woud be better in the long run. thanks for your opinion though. mike t

citabriatom

FYI,I called the prop shop next to Sanderson a couple of weeks ago to get mine done and was told that they had quit doing this about a year or two ago.The web site had not been updated.I was really hoping otherwise as they are a short drive from here and I would not have had to roll the shipping dice!

mtolley

yea i shipped a few items out this morning and about died! sad to hear lee's not doing case's anymore. i saw one of his a few months back and it was really nice looking. mike t

FLYING BUTCHER

Don't know who you talked to but Robbie just did my case a couple months ago. He is the guy next to Sandersons=he also did one for Lou just a short time back????

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I believe he bought the prop and lower unit buisness from Lee. I think he also worked and learned from Lee.

citabriatom

Don't know who you talked to but Robbie just did my case a couple months ago. He is the guy next to Sandersons=he also did one for Lou just a short time back????
Really?I'm not sure who I talked to but was told that they stopped because the profit margin was so thin that it wasn't economically feasable.I'll give them another call Monday morning and post ASAP.I can't tell ya how much I hope I was wrong.

realdealprops

Probationary User
We did stop installing nosecones a few years back. We do still modify all lower units. We just don't install cones anymore.

Robbie