WHY...do Allisons suffer from a lack of cleats?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering if anybody knew why. I don't know about the new 21s, but the 2003s only have one up front per side, and that's it. Yeah, you can tie a rope around the swim handles, and that's a pain. I end up using the rear grab handles for the back. Even that's annoying. My XTB-21 had no cleats. Just doesn't really make sense to me.

catfish123

I agree 100% with you........the 2003's would have been better with cleats in the front and back.

tolatenate

Before I sold mine I mounted pull up mushroom cleats drilled in the compartment doors instead of the gel-coat put them in the corners so out of the way when reaching in or pulling something out, made rope rings to length on bumper for the rub-rail this solved it for me.

Attachments

whipper

I dont tie mine up. To low for most docks anyway. I like that theres no cleats. That way im not tempted to tie her up exept breifly for fuel or lunch.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I trailer mine and need to tie it up when launching or loading when I go alone. I have rigged a couple ropes that work but cleats would be a lot more convienient. I may do like tolatenate did, that looks good. I have adequate bumpers.

GotMyAlly

Careful tying up by the swim rails. I did that on my 03 once in rough water and it loosened up the swim rails. If I wasn't paying attention, I think the movement would have let it start cracking the gel coat around the swim rails. I started tying up to the jackplate at the rear. I had a manual plate and the adjustment bolts made a convenient attachment point. Plastic caribiners will clip right on there for a quick hookup.

The 21's have front and rear cleats.