Why I am glad I have an Allison

redwingally

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p210/dluke4137/Clewiston 1-08 Allison on bank/

Lost a skeg at 6450 rpm in the rim ditch on Lake Okeechobee yesterday. Fortunately I found the only stretch of white sand beach with only 1 cypress tree on it. I scraped the tree with the side of the boat as I came ashore. I had started trimming down and backed off the throttle as soon as I felt the rear end start comming around on me but had no steering. Ended up 150 feet into the brush right side up. Having the motor trimmed down when I hit shore helped slow me down and acted like a "hook" on the fighter jets when they land on an aircraft carrier. When the boat stopped it went up on the right side so hard it tore the bucket seat out of the floor bracket. I crawed out without a scratch or sore muscle. I thought she was going to barrell roll on me but she didn't, amazing boat. Some great Fast Bass / Stroker guys were in the neighborhood and came to my rescue. Dan Hare, Deana and Lou, Scotty Brennan and Ron Brown. Terry Evans (Allison XTB21) and Dan Blakenship (XB 2003 / 300X) were also there. Special thanks to Dan Blakenship for teaching me how to drive an Ally and to trust it in just such situations. The fact that I started to trim down and back off the throttle right away thinking it was a blow out probably saved my life as I went through the check list for a blow out as he had taught me (never had actually blown out before) I believe this slowed her down enough to change the angle of the nose as I went ashore, as you can see by the pictures I missed hitting the cypress tree head on by a mere 3 foot or less. The cypress knees scraped the hull and ripped my Hummingbird off the bow as I went by at almost full speed. The tree is only 10-15' off the water were I came in. The Stroker and Ally boys tied a rope to the Stroker with the 250XS and the rest of us pushed until we got her in the water. I started her up and idled to the ramp 1/2 mile away and drove her onto the trailer. Yesterday wasn't my turn to go obiviously. I am sure that is BECAUSE I was in an Ally I didn't get tossed out when I came ashore and it leaned heavily to the right or I may have been thrown into the tree. (8' around)

Ever since Paul Nichols got tossed a couple of weeks ago I have been anal in checking my skeg for cracks. I didn't see anything that morning so I must have really hit something hard but it happened so fast I really can't remember anything except the back end comming around and the surprise when I couldn't steer her away from the shoreline, the rest is a blurr.

Chedk your skegs guys, no defense for catastrophic equipment failure except being seated in an Allison. God Bless Darris Allison.

catfish123

Wow.......I'm sure glad you are OK......that could have been a real bad one. Was the skeg modified in any way at all?

pickwickangler

That tree was a close call. Glad you made it out safely :beer:. This year has been a wake up call for me, I am definately thinking ALOT more safety going into this boating season.

redwingally

Thanks, no modifications. No visable cracks that morning when I checked it. I was making runs and taking numbers with a brand new Brucato SVS / ACU when it happened. I am a lucky man, extremely lucky man. From the pics you can see up the canal a very large stand of very large cypress trees that I just passed when it broke. I also had just made a 7 mile run before I got there that has the 25 foot high rock levy on one side and nothing but large boulders, cypress knees and 100,000,000 malalucca tree stumps on the other side. Just passed them no more than 20-30 seconds before it happened. There is NO forgiveness on that run. It has cured me of making the TE runs in a canal. From now on it is in the big Lake or no where. I mean it can happen to you at 50 or 60 mile an hour also but...........high speed is a disaster.

K

Kevin from FL

Lucky ain't the word for sure....glad you are OK and had some good buds close by.

Bob Ant

I'm glad you're Ok. You never know when something is going to come and bite you. Thank goodness you are are ok.

Bob A.

BigRedAlli

HOLLY CHIT !!! You are one lucky Guy !!! Thank God for a soft landing, and Good friends close by.

We run in a river smaller than that ditch you were in. Makes you think...

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
THANK GOD and DARRIS!!! GLAD to hear you are OK!!!

Is that a 4-blade ET on there and how fast do you think you were going went you went ashore?

Last edited:

redwingally

Thanks guys it is much appreciated.
No that is an older Ron Hill Yammi 28p drag copy that Mark Croixton blue printed for me. It was not set up as a race prop for top end. Speed? Well.....if Ihad to guess, I did think it was a blow out so I started trimming down right away and backed off the throttle, but probably still at 70-80. I was a little left of center when I came around the corner and stuck it, I bumped the trim and WHAM! Back end started coming around on me and started heading towards shore, which is only approx. 40 yards. I tried yanking her left but no response. I got 150 feet deep into the shoreline in a blink of an eye never saw the tree until I rolled out of the boat. If I hadn't burried the trim I think I might have gone another 150 feet into it. The lower unit acted like a drag line or the hook on a fighter jet for an aircraft carrier. When it accumulated enough brush on it stop it, it stopped very hard, pulled all 4 quarter inch bolts out of the brand new slide bracket. I also feel very stronly that the center steering helped keep me from any serious injury. Might have banged my head on something if I still had the side steering. Just moved it last week.

JR

I am glad you are OK. I did almost the same thing last Summer in Black Creek.
I was running about 90 and backed off for a very sharp turn and lost all steering. I figured I was just going to bat-turn and my Wife [who has bat-turned before] grabbed the grab bar.

The boat spun and lost all steering, heading for the beach on the inside of the turn. It went up the beach and landed on a stump with the nose up in the bushes.

The problem was caused by a 3 foot 4" diameter submerged log that jammed between my jack plate and my gear case, ruining the hydrodynamics of the gearcase [but no damage].

I had some hull damage from the stump [and being pulled back into the water by a wake board boat], but Jack Barsch at Full Throttle Powerboats not only repaired it as good as new, but re-gel coated the entire bottom of the hull, erasing all the stuff I had hit in the water and from going aground in the ICW many times.

My seats had been already been re-enforced due to tearing them out when I first got the boat.

Take your boat to Jack and he will return it, better-than-new [like mine].
JR

redwingally

Hey JR,

Where are they located? re-enforced seats sound like a very good idea.

Real glad you guys weren't hurt.

No steering, no defense, just hang on and hope you don't roll.

I am glad you are OK. I did almost the same thing last Summer in Black Creek.
I was running about 90 and backed off for a very sharp turn and lost all steering. I figured I was just going to bat-turn and my Wife [who has bat-turned before] grabbed the grab bar.

The boat spun and lost all steering, heading for the beach on the inside of the turn. It went up the beach and landed on a stump with the nose up in the bushes.

The problem was caused by a 3 foot 4" diameter submerged log that jammed between my jack plate and my gear case, ruining the hydrodynamics of the gearcase [but no damage].

I had some hull damage from the stump [and being pulled back into the water by a wake board boat], but Jack Barsch at Full Throttle Powerboats not only repaired it as good as new, but re-gel coated the entire bottom of the hull, erasing all the stuff I had hit in the water and from going aground in the ICW many times.

My seats had been already been re-enforced due to tearing them out when I first got the boat.

Take your boat to Jack and he will return it, better-than-new [like mine].
JR

JR

Jack is the best in my opinion and incredibly honest.

I got into an argument with him when he did my work since I felt he UNDERCHARGED me for the weeks he spent on mine. His work ethic is extremely rare nowadays. His yard is usually full of Allisons needing repairs or "makeovers".

You can talk to him also about re-enforcing the seat bases while he is at it.

Even though anything can happen, I am not sure an '03 hull will roll since I have bat-turned my boat 50+ times, with a full load of passengers even. The other A-boat hulls with heavier/taller engines......maybe.

BTW he also has good relations with Bill at Allison on getting OEM parts quickly.

http://www.fullthrottlepowerboats.com/
904 448 4029

JR

Last edited:

redwingally

Thanks JR, they are great boats for sure but given the right dynamics you can roll a cement truck, especially on ground.

Thanks for the info.

JR

While we were traveling up the Kisimmee River, just on the North end of Lake Kissimmee, We came across a Stratos Bassboat just about as far out of the water as yours. The two older Gents had tried to take a shortcut between two grassy islands and got launched onto the beach.

We managed to get it turned toward the water [it was a real lead sled] and used my boat as a tug to drag it back in the water. I did not realize my boat would pull that heard.

As many times as I have also gone aground, especially on South end of Lake Monroe, I need to get rollers underneath my Pad.

JR

redwingally

Retractable rollers sounds like it would work JR. I plan on trying to stay in the water though. LOL

redwingally

THANK GOD and DARRIS!!! GLAD to hear you are OK!!!

Is that a 4-blade ET on there and how fast do you think you were going went you went ashore?
Yes Thank the Good Lord, I didn't mean to slight him. Darris for building such a fine boat and the Lord for being with me no doubt.