Why no factory gas tank?

Lotus 50

Why does Allison sell boats with no fuel tank? Do they sell the tanks separately?

Side note, I wish my SS2000 tank was a lot bigger.

BGohr

The don't have fuel tanks from the factory? What boat is this?

FFWD

The new EPA requirements on fuel tanks is crazy. You have to have coated tanks to stop fuel permeation and carbon canisters to prevent fuel vapors from being released to the atmosphere. All this has added about $300-$500 to all boats and requires some tooling changes to get it all to fit in a lot of boats to meet the new regulations. For Allison it would not be worth All the work for a few boats so they just sell it with no tank and you install your own.

B HEBERT

They will sell you a boat and sell you a gas tank. Install it yourself. They do install tanks on the 21 foot boats, but it would cost too much to engineer a tank for the other boats that they don't sell a lot of. Thanks EPA.

fasteddie

They have the tanks you just have to buy it separate. Install is easy! They will not cut the hole for the filler. The hardest part was cutting the hole.

Lotus 50

2015 XB2002 and 175XS = very nice. If I had that combination maybe I would not need a bigger gas tank.

The lake to the south of me is 19 miles X 16 miles. Add some distance going into bays, some loss of fuel from putzing off a plane, and I need more gas.

To the north is a series of rivers, lakes, and canals. I can run 4 hours north and then back in a day. The no wake zones are a killer with old style engines. I could probably do the one day north trip with a DI engine and my 24 gallon tank. But no chance with my 225 PM.

mxzx

From what I have read a Brucato ACU will help a lot with gas mileage on the low speed running. The stock ECU is really rich at low rpm's.

whipper

From what I have read a Brucato ACU will help a lot with gas mileage on the low speed running. The stock ECU is really rich at low rpm's.
Ya you can set up the acu to sip at lower rpm and feed it for higher rpm or any other way you may need it. Very adjustable. I run a lake 30 miles each way wot for lots cruise at 50 for lots. It takes just over a 1/4 tank to do that. I can play around most of the same day not really conserving fuel type driving with my 225 pm Brucato acu GS. i find always having the motor high when running on plain I burn way less gas. Also a 28 pitch 3 blade prop is key. ill burn twice the fuel it seems with a 25 pitch 4 slinger as an example.

What you described Lotus seems doable. Prop and engine height makes a huge difference. The 28 performance prop Drag3 seems to be one of the most efficient ones ive used on my hull for distance and over all performance without actually measuring just eye balling it. i also noticed a big difference with the plugs I use. I run the big buck ones surface gap. brzw comes to mind but I would have to double check that?

Last edited:

whipper

Ya those 225,s are thirsty with anything smaller than a 28. i find a 30 pitch just a little tall for everyday running with Passengers. I cant tell for sure but my guess is 28 is the sweet spot. A 30 is great for long range cruising but out of the hole if you make lots of stops and goes will drink a little until up to speed. A 28 still gives decent hole shot enough to not be into the gas as long to get to speed. pluss more responsive in the waves to change attitude in a hurry. Smaller is best for that but there always seems to be a compromise.:sad

Alternately. Theirs enough room in the bilge area forward of the gas tank to mount and plum a second piggy back tank for an extra 10 gallons. Then you could run a 26 or 27 pitch and get a little more range. The cost difference in doing this might not be justified over a used 200XS and selling your 225PM. That motor is probably the best combo for your SS ever made for efficiency with the least amount of compromise.

Last edited: