winter striper fishin from the Ally

Speedman

My 94 has never been winterized and I live in Mass. here is what we do all winter.

Weds, Rivernut and I met up with my friend Gregg for a day on the Housatonic River in Ct. This was the first time out there in my boat Last week when I went, I fished out of a small boat with no trolling motor and the wind was blowing hard but we still managed a bunch. Mike, who took me out, showed me the channels to run and the rock piles to avoid which was all we needed. Put the boat in the water and drifted out a little and on my first cast nailed a 25" striper, a good way to start the day for sure
I had gotten an email saying the fish were in a deep cove within site of the ramp so we idled up. The cove was 1/2 froze and the fish were on the ice line stacked by the THOUSANDS!. We all started catching them on just about every cast for hours! Several times we had triples and too many doubles to count

We all had different soft plastics, I had white, RN with Chartruse and Gregg with bubblegum and they all worked well, but I was kickin' butt with the white and after a 50-30-15 lead, they both sort of switched to white. At one point the fish started to slow down, so I used the Allison as an Ice breaker through about 100 ft of ice to get to some open water on the back side and we got right back into them. I got a few in the keeper range of 28" but good ole Gregg didn't push the camera button down hard enough with his gloves on, so I got NO pictures of me

At about noon we had over 100 fish from this one cove and decided to take a ride up the river. It didn't take long to locate a school that was 10' thick and 1/2 mile long The river fish seemed to be a little bigger with many this size.

The guys in the background were flyfishing and were also catching a few, but maybe 1 for every 10 we got. Gregg won "species man" for the day when he connected with this little guy.

We worked our way back to the ramp with another 100 or so fish and just as I was about to pull up to shore, Gregg nailed his HAWG of the day, a nice 28"er

Note the funny hat and glasses on Rivernut! Alot of the fish today were suspended in 20' of water over a 40' hole and swimming the baits through them was the ticket to success. There were quite a few boats around us, some were catching, some were just getting frustrated and leaving.

And you guys want me to take up ice fishing??

o.k. maybe for some of the food, until then, granola bars, crackers and PB and J sandwhiches will have to do on the boat. Besides, who has time to eat!

Attachments

jimmyb

gotta love the winter fishing!

i wish we had open water here!

R

Redding XB21

River striper fishing, all that I've ever fished is lake planted fish. I know how the planted fish fight, they pulled my stratos around, how about the "fresh ones. I could take the boat down to the Delta and fish there when they are running.

Gene