Wood burning stove ???s

RedAllison

FINALLY startin to lay the plans together (meeting with 1st architect Thurs) for a house on the farm. It's obviously out in the sticks so muni gas lines aren't a possibility so it's propane for primary heat. I want the classic vaulted ceiling, wood trim and beams, large fireplace with my elk head hanging on it "look" in the living room. But instead of a traditional open wood fireplace that sucks the heat up the flume, I think I want a stove with fans in it for function and looks.

The last time I lived in a house with a wood burning fireplace was eons ago, so I assume technology has changed "the latest and greatest" options. What do I want and more importantly DON'T want in this stove? (And anyother ideas ya got.) With 500 acres of timber I naturally want to stick with wood logs instead of coal or pellet fueled stoves.

:at the bar
RA

82alli

Inserts do not heat as will as a stove. I heat 2600 sq. ft. all winter on 6 cord of wood.

wc911

Get you one of those nice stainless outdoor furnace. It will heat the house and the hot water if you want. They just plumb in to a central unit and the fan pushes the air through a raidiator and into the house. I have several neighbors that have them and they love them.

catfish123

I have had in my house for 23 years the type of set-up Red that you think you want. I have a fireplace insert with glass doors and a 3 speed blower hooked to it. The claim that just a woodstove is more efficient is true. However, I love to be able to see the fire, and the glass is VERY easy to keep clean. We have about a 2500 sq. ft. house and it will roast you out of the downstairs if you want it to. I burn it mainly for enjoyment, but we certainly get a heat benefit from it too. Just depends on what you want and what your priorities are.

motobuffy

Go for an exterior wood furnace with floor radiant heat. Then add a propane log to your fireplace (no chimney). This assumes you will be able to keep the fire stoked during all sub freezing weather.

strip

I have a rock fireplace with insert and blowers. I can heat my 2100' home with no problem. The problem with a free standing stove is that you cant plumb combustion air in from the outside. If the fire is burning air from inside your home it is being replaced with cold air from the outside, making your heat system work harder to heat this constant inflow of cold air. I installed a return air vent to my main furnace in the ceiling just above my insert. By leaving furnace fan on, I pull the heat off the ceiling and distribute it throughout my home and keep the whole house toasty. My problem is that working a full time job, I come home to a cold stove everyday so my heat system ends up running about 12hrs a day. The wood stove helps, but after checking prices I think I would go with pellets to essentally stop my propane heat from ever kicking on. If you ever have to buy firewood, you will see the pellets are cheaper and a whole lot less mess. Also, whatever you buy check the decible ratings on the fans, It is sometimes bothersome trying to watch a movie with fan blowers running in your living room.

strip

Another thing to consider Red, is that you can sell your unlimited supply of firewood you plan to cut to pay for your pellets you will burn and not have the mess that comes with a stove. then when you get tired of jacking with cutting wood, you will already be set up for pellets. You will also put some $ in your pocket with the savings on the pellets. But do check shipping costs on the pellets to your location. You will save a bundle buying by the truck load.

Blue Gray in PA

Apparently these guys all missed the point - when you said recommendations I immediately wanted to recommend you invite us all there to break in the new place once it's finished.

Seriously, a pellet stove can be easier (and more efficient) since you can go away for a day or two and still be warm when you get back but nothing beats a true flame from logs for the look of the room - just remember the cost of chainsaw gas, mixing oil, sawchains and the "free" labor that is measured in numbers of beers consumed while working. That all adds up to over the years...

ragtopvet

I have a hardy outdoor woodstove that heats my house and preheats the water going to hot water heater,works very well. The only downside is that u need electricity for it to work,so it would be smart to have a backup generator also. Also woodstoves in the basement with a hood over them ducted into your central units duct work is very good also.

Texan

With the allergies you have, I don't know that I wouldn't go with propane or pellets over wood. Just a thought. I've got a gas fired, wood burning fireplace with fake logs that are very realistic. They don't put much heat off early on, but will after some time. All it takes to fire them up is to twist the knob and click the clicker. That might not be the best solution for a rural application because I admit to being hooked up to a natural gas company for my heat and hot water. Down my way, it is cheaper than being all electric.

Beyond the aesthetic appeal of the wood burning fireplace, I would consider the health and well being of the family before I would go with something for heat that might create health issues during what should be an enjoyable time spent at the farm

mtolley

i have 2 buckstove branded inserts. one in my house(2200 square feet) and one in my business(4000 square feet) and both will make your nuts sweat! i go outside to get cool in the wintertime.