XB-2002 Fuel Tank Pick-Up

Casey G

not sure how many of ya'll are aware that the stock fuel tank pick-up sucks at best. 2" above the bottom and in the front?

last weekend i was making a pass with Eric when i almost popped my motor. the boat launched, then about 100' out the fuel pressure dropped to almost nothing. luckily i was watching it and caught it before the motor had a chance to stumble. once i lifted the fuel pressure when back to normal and i made it back the the ramp. when i got home i dropped the nose on the trailer and pumped out 6 gals of gas.

i was either going to fix the problem with the stock pick-up or swap to a fuel cell. i was totally shocked when i pulled the tank and noticed it had a sump. instead of modifying the stock pick-up with a longer one that still has to go up and over i decided to install a #8 fuel cell fitting toward the back of the sump and off center so it cleared the center stringer. I also added a fuel cell cap to make life easier.

problem solved, i ran the boat almost empty today and the fuel pressure never moved. i just ordered a huge Mallory Comp 500 filter to install before the pump to act as sort of a surge or vapor tank to help even more.

Last edited:

Bobalouie

Thats awsome man. I just checked my tank and it has the same sump, so I am thinking of making the change this winter. What did you use for the thru tank fitting and where did you get it? Also, what did you use for the seal? Did you seal it both inside and out, and did it come with the fitting?

Casey G

You can order fuel cell fittings through online stores like Jegs or Summit. I ordered one from Jegs, but ended up not using it. I believe it was for an aluminum and not a thicker plastic tank. The threads were not deep enough and the teflon washers sucked. I ended up using an old used one I pulled out of a fuel cell I threw away a few years ago. The threads were a little deeper and the washers were much heavier duty. They do not use sealant, they use a slightly undersized hole and teflon washers inside and out. that’s the way all plastic and aluminum fuel cells are made. Make sure before you drill the hole you measure twice, where I put the fitting was only unobstructed place I could find that would get the best flow.

procomp

pain in the *** to get it out and back in!
Ya I have to take my grandsport tank out to do the bolt update, not looking forward to getting mine out either but I like your pick up idea and fuel cell cap. I guess we have to find a source for the same one with longer threads.
I had the fuel cell cap mod on my STVs.

Bobalouie

I found the fittings on the Jaz website and went and cross referenced over to summit racing.