XB-2002 Jack Plate Question

Casey G

I'm about to order a jack plate from Bill @ Allison and I'm not sure which one to get, the 8-9.5" or 10-12" manual? My wife will be racing this boat next year in a stock bass boat class in the DSRA. Right now the boat has a 260 on it with a 9.5" Allison hydraulic, but soon I will be swapping to a either our 2.4 200 @ 1795lbs race weight or our 2.5 200 @ 1950lbs. I will also be swapping to a 15" mid at the same time as the powerhead swap. I'd rather not waste money on a high dollar Allison plate :very sad just to find out 9.5" is not enough and I really needed 12".

What are ya'll running on your XB-2002's

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I run a 10" CMC Hydraulic plate. But I use my boat entirely different. Seems to work good for fishin and playin.

Barefoot Bob

Dam...That looks just like my boat.
I run a 260 with short mid on a heavy tournament model like yours. For the last four years I have had a 12" setback and just a purchased 7 to 8 1/2" Allison plate. I have it adjusted at 7" setback at the moment and what a difference in driving. The boat runs completly flat on the water now. I did raise the motor to almost 1/4 inch above the pad and ran 100 last night so its starting to come around.

ally2dextreme

it will come out of the hole better with the short plate but might suffer on top end...you have to decide whats more important..all the records are set at 10-12 inchs..if you get the short plate for racing you can always add the spacers...

Brack

Casey, I would go with the lesser offset....if you need more you can buy just the side plates,....they do have a J-plate that will work with both mids.

btw........good looking 02

J

John Richied

Since you are going to be drag racing and running @ 1795 or 1950 lbs with 200 horsepower I think you want to go with the 10 to 13” adjustable (three setback increments) manual Allison jackplate; probably set at 10”s.

To add weight (since you have to) you might as well run a big battery with a lot of cranking amps in front of the fuel cell. The battery in front of the fuel cell helps bring the bow down faster. You also might want to mount the battery a little to the port side for balance since your XB-2002 is a side steer.

Also when you order your jackplate some of them can be used with either a 15”or 20”mid ONLY and some of them will work with either a 15 or 20” midsection, not both.

The 10 to 13” Allison setback jackplate will work with either a 15” or 20” midsection.

If you already have a 20” midsection I wouldn’t get too hung up on going to a 15” mid unless it’s just for the cool factor… :cool :cool looks and sound. :cool

With 10" of setback, a foil on the cavitation plate, 24 Yamaha drag prop with some cup added or a 26 Yamaha drag prop (depending on your rev limiter), with the propshaft about 1/8” below the pad works pretty good on a low horsepower XB-2002.

When going from a 260 plus to a 200-225 (or visa-versa) EVERYTHING changes as far as setup for a drag race.

Casey G

When going from a 260 plus to a 200-225 (or visa-versa) EVERYTHING changes as far as setup for a drag race
actually you'd be surprised in how little is does change. once you have a boat dialed in your set-up will change very little. on my XR i can go from my top running Pro Gas set-up to a 2.4 200 river set-up and not need to change a thing. The boat is on a rail regardless of power. Same goes for our top running Lake Racer V-21. Jason does not change much when he goes from a drag motor to a 150 or 200 powerhead.

and yep i'm swapping to a 15" cuz i can't stand the "tower of power" look

thanks for the info everybody :beer:

Casey G

John we're you drag racing much before you swapped motors? if not that may be why it changed so much.

this boat will have a mercuriser pump, 24v up, trim computer, limit switch and a plate for the jack plate and gear case before it every gets raced. once every thing's in place a few small changes to the trim delay, maybe the gearcase height and a possible prop change is all it will need when going from a drag motor to a stock 200.

bullwhipjkg

i dont do much changin wit them either to run the stock bass boat class im at 1800 wit 2.5 150 i throw out a anchor and some kids toys and im where i need to be

lundy02

A friend had A 12 inch plate on his 02. mine is 6 with drag center 2 inches built in. my boat would kill his in a drag race about 90 mph the 12 inch plate would start packing the air and go by at about the 2000 foot mark.both were stock 260.