xb 2003 setup

spd663

Is There Anybody Close To Scottsboro Alabama That May Be Able To Help Me Out. I Have Bought A 28 " Hydromotive Prop And Now Have Been Able To Drive The Boat To 82.6 Mph On Gps But It Don't Seen Like The Boat Is Lifting Up On The Pad. Any Ideas? I Have Tried To Check The Motor Height But I Have Everything Raised All Of The Way Up An I Still Measure The Prop Shaft Almost 2" Below The Pad. I Had A 26" Trophy Plus On It . It Ran 83 Mph And Was Lifting Way Out Of The Water. I Have Tried A BUNCH Of Three Blade Props And I Have Not Found One That Would Run Over 80mph. Myself Along With Another Experienced Allison Owner Are At The End Of Are Ropes And We Do Not Know What To Try Next. I Have A 2000 Model Xb 2003 With A 2000 Model 225 Promax. Everything Is Stock.

Take it to Greg Dawson at Dawsons Marine in Scottsboro AL. He was an Allison dealer for several years and raced Allison's for a few years, He can probably point you in the right direction. Your setup should easily run mid 80's with a good three blade. If it is 2'' below it would not handle well above 65-70.

Last edited:

Bob Ant

Hey SPD663,

I would be glad to help you out with anything I can bring to the game. I live in Chattanooga , but work in Jasper, tn. Go to Scottsboro on the Big G numerious times. I own a 96 XB-2003 and at one time had a 225 on it with the exact prop you have. On a good day I would hit 94 -95 . We can arrange to meet at Gunersville or you could run up to the Nickajack. Call me when you want to get together.,

Bob Anthony 423-718-0737

spd663

I Have Got A Two Piece Jack Plate In Front Of An Allison Hydraulic Jack Plate. Does Anybody Have Any Pictures Of What One Would Look Like That Is Set Up Right. I Was Going To Try And Post Some Pics But My Pic Size Is To Big To Post.

RedAllison

Hey spd try this website to downsize your pics. I HATE complicated computer crap and this one is the easiest site I've found. Just click on the Browse button and pictures in your pic folder will come up, select the one you want to downsize and then just click on the size you want it. I don't know squat about what size it what, I typically just select the "I don't care just downsize it 50%" and sometimes 75%.

:beer:
RA

pickwickangler

SPD663.... I think you have a jackplate that is made for 15" and 20" motors. I think you can flip the side plates and get the motor height you are looking for. I never set mine up for a 15" motor so I aint exactly sure sure wich way you flip flop the plate but that could be your problem. Later

RedAllison

My DUMBA$$ :idiot

Give the man a website to shrink pics and then DON'T put up the link!!! :embarassed:banghead (Did I mention I hate computers?)

http://www.resize2mail.com/

Now back toda task at hand. You GOTTA have more travel than 2" above pad. I'm tryin to figure out by those pics wtf is up...

Heres the only rearend pic I could find of RDW1 (15" SS rig) and it's not very clear when you blow it up. (This was taken at the first rally in 2001, lol I was still usin the motor toter then.)

We'll get this beyatch figgered and flyin yet!!!
RA

Attachments

RedAllison

btw spd, what kinda Rs were you turning that 28" Quad IV when you were runnin 82? If you truly were 2" below pad you could floor the hotfoot and with alot of trim you MIGHT get 6200-6400 TOPS and it would be one VERY ill handling beyatch because a Sportmaster doesn't like being submerged. If you were on the limiter or at least over 6800 and only doin 82 then I wonder if maybe you have the motor to high, alot of slip? If the prop were 1" above pad with a full load it wouldn't lift the hull, the entire keel would be wet and that's about what kinds of speeds you would be gettin.

:confused: just more questions and possibilites without seeing it,
RA

spd663

it was turning about 6400 to 6500 rpms with the hydromotive. it will turn about the same with a 26 trophy but the front end is extremely light and very hard to drive. the hydromotive is alot easier to drive but now i don't have the bow lift.

spd663

i was wondering if anybody would know if it would be ok to raise the setback jackplate up one hole and just leave two bolts on each side of the plate. i can raise it up looks like one hole and that would give me the extra i need?

brotherxb03

At 2" below the pad it will be hard to drive above 60 with any wheel. about 3/4 below the pad is about the lowest I can run unless just cruising or I have to lower the hydralic plate in real ruff conditions.

spd663

I Just Wanted To Think Everybody For There Imput. I Plan On Moving The Jack Plate Up Next Week And Trying The Boat Out. I Will Let Everybody Know What The Results Were

spd663

i got the boat on a level pad and measured the engine height. i have got the motor know where it is 1/4" below the pad. but know i do not have any bow lift. i tried my 28 hydromotive ran it to the limiter of 6500 at 83 on a gps. i tried a 30 mazco re3 ran it to the limtier of 6500 with the speed of 79 on gps. i have been told in the past the limiter for a 2000 mercury 225 promax should be higher then 6500 rpm. but that is what it says on the plate on the motor. does anybody think that it would be worth me trying to have the limiter raised. i don't know why i can not get any bow lift. would plugging any of the holes in the prop up help with the bow lift?

FLYING BUTCHER

something isn't right. I'm sure lots of guys would talk with ya about your set up even an old fat guy like me. My cell is 940-783-1236 call anytime. I'll be glad to share the experiences I have had with my Alli

GotMyAlly

i got the boat on a level pad and measured the engine height. i have got the motor know where it is 1/4" below the pad. but know i do not have any bow lift. i tried my 28 hydromotive ran it to the limiter of 6500 at 83 on a gps. i tried a 30 mazco re3 ran it to the limtier of 6500 with the speed of 79 on gps. i have been told in the past the limiter for a 2000 mercury 225 promax should be higher then 6500 rpm. but that is what it says on the plate on the motor. does anybody think that it would be worth me trying to have the limiter raised. i don't know why i can not get any bow lift. would plugging any of the holes in the prop up help with the bow lift?
6500 RPMs on the plate is the max recommended RPM. I think your rev limiter kicks in at 6750 though.

spd663

The Only Weight In The Front Of The Boat Is 9 Rods And Reels In The Rod Locker And Three Life Jackets In The Big Fron T Compartment. The Passenger Was Sitting Right Beside Me. The Trim Was All Of The Way Up But The Rooster Tail Was Straight Out And Below The Cowl. I Bought The Boat Used And I Do Not Have Any Idea What The Gears Are In The Gear Case. The Bottom Of The Boat Is Very Clean With No Dents Or Dings. The Pad Lip Is Perfect Too. I Did Find Out If I Lifted The Jack Plate With The Mazco It Would Blow Out And Send You Sliddin Sideways. The Front End Lifts Up To Were It Looks Level When You Are Going Down The Water. Most Of The Other Boats I Have Been In The Front End Lifts A Little Higher Then Level. The Pad Lip Is About An 1/8" Lower Then Where I Measured From Three Inches In Front Of It.

RedAllison

Spd I wouldn't be runnin over low 80s with someone over about 150#s sittin beside you. When you want to run "2 up" and run for the moon you best bet is to put them in the back.

How much do you weigh and how much was your passenger? If you had 400#+ in the front seats then you aren't going to get any bow lift and that will of course keep the Rs down. You motor should turn over 6800. (The limiter is just going to richen up the motor but it'll keep on turnin.)

When you measured the gearcase height, was that 1/4" below taken from the center of the nosecone or the center of the propshaft? On a Sportmaster the propshaft is a higher than the tip of the nose.

Are you DEAD ON CERTAIN the pad is straight/proper?
RA