XB 21 not to be

wasmeneh

Need to rant a little. Saw a 2012 XB 21 I liked for sale outside at a dealer's lot. Called and was sent the check in list with everything checking out OK except TM batteries which showed low, no problem there. Spoke on numerous occasions with dealer and finally settled on price, all pending on the water test, he advises no problem. Even had my nephew drive an hour to look at it first hand. He has little boat knowledge but does know a lot about restoring cars he said cosmetically it looked good. Drove 1174 miles in 16+ hours and arrived at shop.

Checked tire pressure and found a little low checked lights and went with dealers son in law to lake. Gear shift was a little out of alignment and the ignition switch was loose but we got her started and went out in the lake. Engine seemed to run well but hotfoot had to be manually pulled back for return to idle. All small issues so far.

Noticed the Jack plate was at full up position and wouldn't budge downward, top two washers were not free and appeared stuck (one on each side top). Back to the ramp figured quick adjustment pay my money and I would be on my way back home with my new to me boat.

At a stop light less than a 1/4 mile from dealership, 15 minute ride total), smelled something and the son in law jumped out of the truck, Smoke coming from drivers side rear hatch. Hatch opened by son in law flames from jack plate up and down relays which were next to a large wiring bundle. Got fire out bundle appeared very compromised, relays shot.

Got back to the dealer no real apology, kind of these things happen you know. He knew I was coming from a long way away and had advised that boat had been checked out I guess I should have tried everything before leaving fro the water test but had taken him at his word. He said he could contact owner and see if he would take $1000 less, I looked at him and said I got to get the seat out of my truck and got the two fishing seats out of my truck and left. 1174 miles later I'm still not a happy camper....

scj

Hate it for you......dealers are busy right now and if on consignment, probably not as important to them.
Short drive over to Tennessee and no disappointments guaranteed on my 2+2