xb-21

RedAllison

I had a 225SS on my XB03 and LOVED it once we got the slippage issue on holeshot cured, had to have dual PVS holes on each blade because the majority of the exhaust in a 15" mid goes out over the cav plate instead of thru the hub. And of course the offshore trim is bombproof but extremely slow unless you do either 24v or put a Alpha pump on it. (Which would be my recommendation for a lake/fishin boat) And of course THE best thing about a 15" mid is the rock and roll sound and kickazz looks of them.

But on my XB21, NO WAY JOSE!!! The boat is so much bigger it would look queer as a $3 bill to begin with IMHO. The hull is alot deeper back there so a SS motor would look like a 9.9 kicker and would get dunked everytime you came off plane. A 21 is a fully grown boat, it needs a fully grown motor.

Think about this... My 2+2 weighs nearly 1500#s. An XB02 is under 1000 so right there the 2+2 is appx 50% heavier than the XB02!!! :surprised

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to play with a big block XS motor on a XB02-03 with a custom/trick 15" mid and reduced setback. On those rigs I think you could pull it off. But like I said, the 21 is so much bigger I just think you'd be alot happier and the whole thing would look and perform better with a 20" mid. Because of what I said about the exhaust, the SS motors just don't have the power/slippage when you stomp it from a dead start that the 20" motors do. Now obviously with any of the 20ftrs you can play with skidplaners, balls in the jackplate, over hub props and alot less total weight so the 15" motors can be made to rip out of the hole on the smaller boats. But I just don't believe you are going to setup a 15"er on a 21 and ever have it get quickly out of the hole and haul the loads that most of us do with the big boats. Ask Neal (GotMyAlly) Edwards, he owned his XB21 ProSport for a year with a great 225X on it (was previously on his XB03). And back in January we put a 250XS on his XB21. I'm sure he'll comment but you'd probably have to pull a gun on him and threaten family before he'd let you replace his big XS with another smallblock motor on his yellow barge!

And I won't even go into the fuel/oil savings between the XS motors and regular carb/efi engines, :beer:
RA

props4u2

RA,
Believe it or not the 21's do not dunk the 15" engines as bad as the XB-2003's do. It does look like a V-4 on the back though, maybe an alien cowl 260 would look better.
I have a customer running a 2+2 in Wi. with a 15" Modified 260. He's on a small lake and runs a 24" over hub Yamaha drag prop. With two guys and a light load it is a rocket out of the hole but with a Trophy it was a dog because of the lack of prop slip.

Lee

RedAllison

Lee he must run essentially empty/light if he rips out of the hole with a 260SS on a 2+2barge.

Folks just don't understand my term of "TRULY LOADED", there's "tournament load" then there's MY fishin loaded/packed for an expedition on any body of water anywhere. :laughing Denver told me on the phone the other day that all I was missing in my boat that BPS had was a turnstile and customer service desk on the bow!!! :LMAO: Kitchen sink hell, don't forget the microwave, fridge and forklift load of Yeungling. :at the bar

I'd actually like to run my regular plate and then change to a short plate 2 days in a row in March on Pickwick or KY Lake to see the roughwater difference if any before I'd take a Dremmel to my plate. But I rarely run over 84-85 anyway in a typical day of fishing so I probably aint as worried about this as Neal and the "light 250/300ers" are anyway.

I guess if worst came to worst you could always gain back any lost holeshot by putting a cav plate on but I liked the wedges replacing that affect without holding the bow down in rough water. :gone fishing
RA

GotMyAlly

But I rarely run over 84-85 anyway in a typical day of fishing so I probably aint as worried about this
My azz................

I ain't seen you run over 45 in the last 2 years.

:LMAO:

Must be gettin' slow in your old age.

:LMAO:

But you're right, as much as I loved my 225X on my 03, there's no way I'd go back to a small block on my XB21!

props4u2

Jim,
Yep he runs it light but with two onboard the hole shot was unreal. Of course 8500 rpm's was not a problem with the 24" drag prop either. I was pretty shocked with the whole set up for a play boat. I certainly wouldn't recomend it for a true tournament rig.

Lee

Last edited: