Xb03 /280 setup

300R Ally 2+2

I'm setting up my 2000 XB2003T /2000 Merc 280 wth stock sportmaster. It has 14 1/2 set back, 1 Optima battery in the port, 2 Optima in the center, lightweight troller, skid planer,Hydro 28 Todd set me up with, side steer. I'm installing a Stainless marine mech trim this week.

What has been the best setup on these? (Engine height, batt placement, setback.......)

Thanks

catfish123

I'm not familiar with the Optima battery weights but I have the same boat and motor as you have. I only have 2 "regular" batteries. One is in the port compartment, the other is in the left side of the center compartment in front of the gas tank. I have 13.5" of setback. The engine height will be dependent on whether or not your lip on the back of the boat has ever been worked on. If it has not been worked on, I would try running it at about 1/4" below the pad. If some of the lip has been taken off, you may be able to come up slightly above the pad. Proceed with caution however, on raising it too much without really trying it out first. Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss it..........717-965-7176......Bob

fnshrmaster

I wouldn't run 3 batteries, I did at first but took one out and went with two, and this is with my 16 amp 260 charging system. One port side, one in the center, slightly to the left. I like the way it drives and rides better.

Setback I am at 14" and height I like even with the pad to a touch above. Mine drives best that way and I will say it drives well, it took me one afternoon to have my son running it in the 80s.

Good luck, you just bought the best boat built! Kurt

300R Ally 2+2

Do I measure the center of the prop shaft with the level pad (not the lip)?

Does anyone make an auxiliary fuel tank for these?

fnshrmaster

Do I measure the center of the prop shaft with the level pad (not the lip)?

Does anyone make an auxiliary fuel tank for these?
That's how I measure it. There use to be a page with lots of good how too's around here, not sure if it can be accessed. Perhaps a moderator could bring it up, it helped me tremendously when I was new at this. There are lots of guys on here with decades of experience that can help too.

I level the boat with a six foot level on the flat part of the pad. I get the motor perfectly level using the lower unit planer as a surface with a small level. It's good to have a flat surface to measure from. Measure from the pad to the ground. Then measure the center of the prop shaft to the ground, I also measure to the front of the bullet to be sure they are the same. It works for me, if I'm making a mistake or doing it incorrectly let me know guys. Kurt

catfish123

I don't think the center of the bullet on a sportmaster and the center of the prop shaft would be the same distance from the ground. They do not line up with one another. I would stick with the center of the prop shaft for this measurement.

Last edited:

catfish123

One more word of advice, ANYTHING that is wrong with being EXACTLY level will have a MAJOR impact on the result you get as the final measurement.

SLOmofo

I mark the hull center then put a line on the hull on the side of the level , puts the level straight each time. Then put my level on top of the flywheel. Small levels can be off. I use a 6' level on the ground to measure up to the hull and prop shaft.
When I level the engine I bump the trim up to level. If I go past, I trim under and start again. When it's level this way I mark the trim guage as neutral trim. The cable can have slack and not indicate with small bumps up and down.

300R Ally 2+2

Great info... I plan on going to Lake Powell beginning of May and I want it setup right. There's a lot of big water I'd like to open her up on.

Thanks for the advice! It's nice to get info from people who know first hand...Cheers! :at the bar

njj502

Good advice from all. One point I noticed is when measuring in my garage I can't use the floor b/c it slopes to the drains.

Good luck with it and be careful. Take your time to learn.

catfish123

The taking your time to learn, especially with a 280 on it, is the best advice you have received!!!!!!!!! If you can't drive it on the pad for miles at 70-75 mph, then don't go any faster than that until you can.

300R Ally 2+2

I believe that is good advice. Not like the other boats I've owned for sure. I took it out at the end of last year before winter stopped me and it has been a bit of a challenge. Not the usual open it up and trim her all the way up without worry of steering. I've had it at 80 after a solid week of nothing but running on big water. I'm hoping the additional info on setup and balance will start me off right this year.

njj502

Easy on the trim too. It's not like a fishing motor where it stops. It'll keep going up and up on the 280

cj707

Lake powell can be a HURRICANE in May. Be careful! They also have nothing but 87 octane at the marinas. I ran that setup many times there. I ran 3 optimas. 1 starboard, 1 center, and 1 port. Right at even with the pad. A 26 Ally cut chopper or drag 4 at 3600' Carry a marine radio. The place is freakin HUGE!