XB03 Setup

Westy

I'm having issues with the way this boat drives. Below is what I have and how it was set-up from the original owner.

99' XB03 / 99' 280HP 20" mid sportmaster LU 100% stock.
Hoss HPD 14.25x28 Everything I read is that this is supposed to be a great prop for my boat.

propshaft is

bassracr

how exactly did you measure your propshaft height ,in relationship to the pad ?
and does the bottom/Pad appear to have been altered?

Westy

Bassracr:
I checked the level of the floor(it was level) then made sure the pad was level; I measured the distance from the bottom of the pad to the floor and got 14-5/8". I leveled the lower unit at the cavitaion plate and measured the center of the prop shaft to the floor and came up with 14- 3/8". Did the math and came up with 1/4" below the pad.

The pad is stock, the lip is intact.

Thanks,

Westy

whipper

I mesure the top of the flywheel for level for nutral along with every thing else. Some nose cone points arnt the same as the propshaft as far as that mesurement. Center of prop shaft at nutral trim all leveled up. BTW you cant use the pad as a level because its not level. The trailer must be level. Theres a few guys running 14 not so many 15 and more at the 13 inch mark than any other from the guys Ive talked to with your setup. Try another prop. Not all props are created equal.

Last edited:

Westy

I got her all tucked back into the garage right now but when I come back from the lake tomorrow I'll re-measure leveling the trailer and the flywheel. I did measure at the prop shaft though. Stay tuned for the results tomorrow night:laughing

Thanks,

Westy

whipper

I got her all tucked back into the garage right now but when I come back from the lake tomorrow I'll re-measure leveling the trailer and the flywheel. I did measure at the prop shaft though. Stay tuned for the results tomorrow night:laughing

Thanks,

Westy
Theres a way of doinging it in the owners page some were also. I know I mesured mine and thought I was at the right spot only to do it again and discover I was almost 1/2 inch out!!!:banghead My garage has a slope out toward the road thats why its inportant to cover all bases like trailer level exetra. The flywheel trick I think GFinch turned me onto. I like that one never thought of that before. but thats the best way to find Nutral over the skeg for sure. You should be level at the flywheel,the propshaft and the trailer. I also mesure the rubrail to the ground also. If you have a lazer on a straight edge you can also just use the propshaft lazered to the lip with a peice of wood like a ruler leaning up against the transon. OR

hullbilly

Sounds like prop, from my experience with the xb2003. Do you know the history on your hoss? Does it have a pretty heavy cup in the trailing edge?

For me, what you're describing has always come down to motor height too high (which it sounds like you've got under control, and/or a prop with no bow lift characteristics. A good prop guy can fix that with no problems most likely.

Good luck!

GFinch

This is how I skin a cat. Just a figure of speech, I like cats!

I get the pad/boat level by using the trailer wheel/jack. I use a 3' level centered right to left and a couple of inches in front of the lip(very end of the pad).
I use a 8' level on the ground, using shims to get it level. You could use a straight piece of wood just make sure it's straightnot bowed.
Now the hull/pad should be level/parallel with the level on the ground.
Lay the 3' level on the flywheel, bump the trim up and down to get the engine level.
Measure the distance between the hull and the level on the ground and then the prop shaft center point counter sunk hole.
The difference is your prop shaft height.
Many of those 1' long levels are not accurate, use a long one turn it over and check it again.
I use a scribe to score the jack plate and then a metal stamp to denote what the scribe line means.
Hardest part is getting the hull level front to rear as I'm only one person with a gimp for a wife and no friends. Crawling under to measure then out to jack the tongue a dozen times takes it's toll on a body thats 2 months shy of 60. Poor me :rolling eyes :very happy

Whip my boat isn't level on my trailer or at least I wouldn't expect it to be, so I just level the pad/boat.

whipper

Ya I never trusted the pad for even though 6 inches infront or so is supost be a good straight spot.Maybe I did I dont remeber? Sure I did? I got a email telling me all the ways a while back.
The trailers the big one and the engine N useing the Flywheel. I havent done it since Fall when I moved my motor up 2 inches.
I marked were I figured 1/4 above is and have run her there 10+ times wot over 90 with a 27 and feels great with my lipless wonder. Ive spun out in the past a few times and dont want to do that again. Every prop is differant hand some like it high some a bit lower. My seat, rpm and GPS and the bow are my guide.The most nerve racking is establishing a base line with a new prop! Once shes been there a repeate should be the same result water conditions calm. As fuel gets lower she runs with less trim. If your running the edge all the time every little detail has to be considered as Im sure you agree.
I also marked the trim guage at 1/4 below even and 1/4 above. My drag4 loves to be high at speed! Stock trophy 1/8 blow to 1/4 and Alicut even. BTW I raised my motor so I can run a 32 Cleaver at sealevel to 7000 1 inch or so above to pad one day. :help

msagro

Westy, if it were mine I would call Dave at Hoss props and discuss with him. (918)479-5167

Matt

GFinch

The lakes that are near me are Ok only very first thing in the AM during the summer. Today was Ok because the storm front is comming in. During the summer the Wake Board boats have big lights to run with when it gets dark.:banghead

zatchmo

Hey Westy-

I was following this thread this spring and forgot all about it. How did this ever turn out for you? Did you get it to run out with that prop? I have the exact same setup (99 XB2003, 99 280, MG Troller on the bow, extra batteries) and the same 28" Hoss HPD. I've run mine as high as 1.25" above the pad and it does run good up there on the big end, but doesn't have the low end or mid-range like I'd like. It seems like at lower motor heights, I can't get it to run much faster than low-mid 90s, but the mid-range is way better.