XB2002 / 16" Looper question

loop

I've been running my boat w/ a 20" Looper. I'm going to a 16" mid and have a question or 2 about setback.
It has 10" of setback now with a Land&Sea hydraulic plate (4") on a 6" manual plate. It looks like if I do a way with the manual plate I can bolt the L&S plate directly to the transom. This will put my motor real close to the height I wanted. I was thinking that 10" was too much for this heavy motor anyway,but is 4" going to be enough? What changes can I expect with less setback?

GFinch

I don't have the same boat. 1994 XB2003. I do have a 16" Taylor mid. What I did find with mine when I tried to use a 4" manual Rapid Jack was that there wasn't enough space between the engine cowl and the area the engine would tilt into(splash well) at the height it would take to run. So with that said maybe with the L&S hyd you will be able to over come that obstacle.
Rule of thumbs.
Engine closer to transom= better hole shot.
Engine set back farther for balancing load.

Another thing is the L&S I have has studs on both sides so you would have to take the existing ones out of the boats transom.

loop

everything is apart right now so I guess I could dummy it up together to determine if there's any interference probs. Mine is a cut down OMC mid.
Ths may be a good time to go to a Bob's or CMC. I could get to 5-1/2 or 6" and be able to keep the existing transom bolts. Never been a fan of the studs in the L&S plate. Feel more comfortable with thru bolts. Thanks

Casey G

Alan i'm not sure about the set-back with that motor, but 6" sounds like a good starting point. I'd ditch the hydraulic and keep the manual plate.

I do know we need to get together one Saturday and make a run down the intercoastal. Last summer we ran the San Bernard pretty often, but I’d like to run to the mouth from Galveston. It would be a nice trip!

loop

I havent been on the San Bernard in a couple of years. Last time i was there you couldnt get to he gulf. Looks like its been dredged since then. Your pics from last years trips has me itchin to go. And Id like to check out the Brazos a little closer too. I plan on spending ALOT more time on the water this year if this winter will ever end. An intercoastal run sounds like a blast,count me in.
sounds like I better hurry up and get this project finished...

Casey G

Yep they opened it up and it’s killer! We always put in at the 521 bridge near Brazoria and make the 18 mile run to the gulf. One day we did run the intercoastal north to the Brazos and ran up it about 15 or 20 miles. That day we covered close to 100 miles, it was a nice trip!

M.ALEXIE

Alan, I would go with 10 " or more. Just from my experience.

Can't wait till the water warms up to go down there.

loop

this would be the winter when i have fiberglass and paint projects going on. cant even remember the last time we've had several days straight of 60-70degree weather.
newsman said our normal high for January is 68. no sign of that in the next week or more

Mr. Scary

I've got the standard 9" manual plate on mine and it works great. I'm switching from a 20" to a 16" and am going to leave it the same. I don't think staying at 10" will be a problem (especially if you actually fish....I don't with mine...and have extra weight from gear, trolling motor, etc.) or if you have a tournament weight boat.

loop

thanks for all the input. As it stands, I've cut down my 6" setback to 4" so I'll end up at 8" with the hydraulic L&S on it.
Casey I'd like to lose the hydraulic plate but we still ski alot and I dont think the family would be happy if the boat wont pull well. I've tried getting up behind it with the motor jacked up and it just didnt work. Was ok for wakeboarding but yanking up my 220# *** on a slalom ski wasnt happening.
Dropping off parts at the anodizers tomorrow and if we can get some decent weather I can get the rest of the parts painted and get it together in the next couple of weeks. We're starting a shutdown April1 that will last into mid May. Probably be 7-12's so I dont expect to get on the water much then.