XB2002 engine height

Ally1209

I'm currently running a bobs coned 200 case with a merc 30p ET I'm at 3/8" above the pad with a 10" rapid jack boat has stock lip the driver 175lbs. I know these wheels like to run high as they are a semi surfacing prop I had it set at 1/4" above the pad with a 7" setback Allison plate and you could pretty much let go of the wheel at 97 a regular chopper was fine even with the pad. It still feels like it needs to come up some more it wants to roll to the left unless you put a lot of trim in it and then it gets kindve loose feeling in the rear in the low to mid 90s but has no signs of going to the right only to the left. I know I need to come up more for the added setback just don't want to go to high

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
IMHO you're already way too high. Mine is stock lip 8" setback SS drag motor set even with pad, steckbauer XR6 case and 110-112mph is routine.

Running high like that is a recipe for gettin wet.

Ally1209

It drove like a dream a 1/4 above with the 7" I am also not running a drag motor with the power to run that hard but i do agree with you about the height but i also know people running same gearcase as mine with 12-14" of setback running 3/4" to 1-1/4" I have a 225pmax 20" mid with a few things done to it I started out level with the pad and you can barely drive it into the high 80s because it wants to start chime walking out of control 1/8" above a little better 1/4" drove decent in high 80s 3/8" above I'm in low to mid 90s but still not solid like it use to be

Ally1209

I Leveled the boat and then leveled the prop shaft made sure the boat was still level pulled a measurement to a leveled straight edge then leveled the prop shaft to the pad to start out then started coming up in 1/8" increments it started driving better at 3/8" above the pad

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

I'm at 3/8" above with 9" of setback and stock lip on mine with a Titus coned sporty. It drives like a dream. I think you're just about right where you need to be as well.

Ally1209

Yeah I'm gonna give the half inch a try today see what happens I was at 1/4 at 7" offset so that's a 1/4" higher for 3 more inches of setback I know it puts the motor lower in the water the further you go back ive seen some say an 1/8-1/4" for every inch you go further back depending on load driver and other things but I also know its trial and error.

patches

I had an XR2002 that was almost as heavy as the XB and I ran it at 3/8" above on 8" of setback and you could hardly make it do anything stupid. I think you're at a pretty safe height. I'd leave it there

Ally1209

Thats what i did left the height alone took the ET off and put a offshore cut chopper on went run it again runs good now and no more going to the left and no more porposing at 80-87mph! like it did with the ET

fnshrmaster

Thats what i did left the height alone took the ET off and put a offshore cut chopper on went run it again runs good now and no more going to the left and no more porposing at 80-87mph! like it did with the ET
My 03 drives better with the ET, the cut chopper is good but the ET drives nice and is very predictable. Each boat and setup is different, what works on one won't work on another, that's the fun part.

h2oskiier30

My 03 drives better with the ET, the cut chopper is good but the ET drives nice and is very predictable. Each boat and setup is different, what works on one won't work on another, that's the fun part.
Yep. My xb02 is a totally different animal then my xb03 was. Two totally different setups, completely.

Ally1209

Finally got it driving good running 1/8" below the pad 32p chopper 2 100mph flat on gps with full tank of fuel best yet