XB2002 Rod Organization Help Needed

CarolinaBurt

Hey fellas. I see a lot of the old names from years back - Lou, Jimmy, Red, T-Rex - I caught a pic of Glen Reynolds in this month's BWB magazine - still active in the racing. I was glad to see it. T-Rex, are you still doing the drags?

Darn I miss those days. I have a question. Can a few of you post photo ideas or what you've done for your rod storage locker in the XB2002, please? My son and I just pulled the Allison from my home in South Carolina to the lower part of Alabama for some bass fishing on Lake Eufaula. Great trip, but I heard one complaint the entire 4 days. "Dad, your rod locker is a joke - there is not room for more than 3 without getting them tangled.

Have you seen or made a tube or rack system that can store 4-6 rods properly? I'd love to see it and copy it.

Thanks again,
Gordon/CB

A B

Just put your rods in rod socks, problem solved! I personally take the rod organizer out of all of my boats and put the rods in socks...I had a 20' Triton demo that I had over 30 rods in the locker that way.

mtolley

Gordon, i feel your pain! though i only use about 3 of the rods i carry(usually around 10 total) sometimes mine get tangled also. have to try AB's rod socks and see how that goes. next time your son complains about the rod box, remind him of the days past when basboats were 15' long and powered by at best a 85hp v-4. i can still remeber riding in my dads lap straked sided 1974 skeeter hawk. hell he it powered with a 1500 inline! boy bassboats sure were SMALL back then! mt

NoviceDave

Hey Gordon! How the heck are you? I think I told you this before but you are the reason I purchased an Allison. Way back when I had a GT150 on my Skeeter and you were trying to help me make it go faster. The best advice you gave me was to look at the Allisons if I really wanted to go faster. Anyway, it is good to read that you still have your Allison. Hope all is well.

The rod storage is my biggest struggle in trying to make the Allison real fishable. I am in the process of installing a rod tote-um (sold at Cabellas. link is too long). I'm putting it on a sliding track (like the slides used in cabinets but the ones I'm using are used for computer cabinets) so that I can slide it under the front deck for storage and slide it out to access the rods for use. It can be accessed easily by the driver and the passenger. I can take pictures when I'm done if you are interested.

Thx,
NoviceDave

CarolinaBurt

Guys, I'm fine - I hit the 50 mark back in late February, but I'm doing very well in spite of old age :)

Dave, I remember. I'm sorry about that - getting another person hooked on Allisons, Mercury V6's, and going fast just means you had to spend some of your kid's inheritence. Tell them I didn't do it on purpose.........

Yes, I still have my Allison and the Jay Smith modified Merc SS - both perform flawlessly. I don't use it a lot and keep it in a heated garage. I've been involved in restoring vintage motorcycles and now have a collection of 22 - something I've always loved since I was 10 and my Dad brought home my first Honda S90. I really enjoy the research, tracking down parts for rare bikes, and then the restoring itself.

Please do keep me posted on your rack. I was thinking about making something out of PVC tubing and lightweight plastic as a custom-fit, but wanted to make sure someone didn't have the perfect piece already for sale at $39.99. If I do make something, I'll share the ideas with you all.

Best Regards,
Gordon/CB

wasmeneh

Gordon,
Nice H1. I've got an H1-B myself and now looking for a XB2002. Where in the Carolinas are you? I live in Wilmington, NC>

Mike

K

Kevin from FL

Hey CB, long time man...good to see ya again on here.

You still got a copy of that test article you did for B&WB about trailering vs on the water transom stress from outboard motors?

I'd like to add it to the Owners Stuff section.

RedAllison

GORDON my man, hows it goin bud? Wondered what ever happd to you. Good to hear you still Aboatin. :at the bar

I got his article layin round somewhere, maybe I can dig it out!
RA

ps
The rod sacks are what I'm about to look at myself, got plenty of room in the 21 but just wantin some "cushion" and to eliminate tangled tips here and there.
http://www.stors-it.com/

Last edited:

CarolinaBurt

Kevin, I've got it scanned and saved somewhere - give me an address to send it to. You've done a great job keeping this up and focused - I thank you for that. You even saved my old pics!!

Red, it's good to see you all still having fun and flying those Allisons. The sock ain't really what I want - I'd like to try something more purpose-built. I think if I took my time and used cardboard templates - I could come up with something using foam and tubing to rival the Ranger's locker - compacted of course. I'm not complaining about the size or shape - we all knew that when we bought the A models we did. But to not have anything inside the locker to hold/rack/fit a rod into/onto is my beef. I'd be happy with being able to arrange 5-6 rods in there with some kind of guide. Mine has absolutely nothing and worse - the 2002 hull starts it's sharp transition to the narrow, shallow frontal area - just ahead of the locker's lid, so entanglement is almost 100% guaranteed. Even two rods is a pain sometimes.

Let's see what gets posted. I don't plan to do a HGTV type makeover on my boat - whatever is done must be removable, functional, and look the part.

Any and all ideas would be fantastic.

Gordon