xb2002 setup

Bill Kemp

i have been playing around with my setup and have got a question, i have been running my motor at 1/4 below and discided to raise it up to even with the pad gained alittle speed so i want to raise it somemore what is this going to do to the handleing and what should i look out for as far as driving goes at the higher engine hieghts. motor has over 20 pounds water pressure

1990 xb2002
yamaha 2.6
10" set back
29 srx
titius lower unit
top speed 96.8 at 6800 rpm

Jimxb02

I have a xb2002 with a modified 225 Promax with a Bob's CLE gear case that I run 1" above the pad for top end running. The boat is stable and controlable at top speed with no chine walk. I should also say that I have hydraulic steering that is an improvement over my old cable steering.

I would recommend that you raise your motor 1/4" and try it at that height. You should see a 1 to 2 mile per hour increase in speed with no noticeable change in boat control. However, if your motor is stock, you are outside the peak power band. I would also try a 30" pitch prop.

Jim

badbait

This is my opinion only. A quarter above the pad is still safe as long as you don't have any water presure problems. If your going to run your motor high it's important that your setup doesn't require a lot of positive trim to get bow lift. If you currently get plenty of bow lift with the motor perpendicular to the pad you should actually notice the bow being a little lighter when you go up since your reducing drag. If you go much higher than a 1/4" above you will want to pay attention when making lefthand turns. The prop will paddle wheel the backend around and you'll make a hook turn. Just need to trim in before making that turn.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I too have a XB2002 (Comp Pro) with a 2.6L Yamaha, 10" set-back.

I would agree to keep raising but just make sure your Yammie doesn't get below 15 psi! Handeling shouldn't be much different IMO.
The 2.6 Yammies are good for producing power up to 6400 rpm and will live fine at that rpm. However if it has some mods than I have been told that 6700 is no problem...unless you hold her there for long periods. At least that is the case for my 98 200 VMAX.

lundy02

My XB02 set up even with the pad 260 efi 200 case with titus mods 8 inches of set back 15 inch mota.. handles excellant no blow out. I have driven 5 Xb02s my set up is the best handeling of them all. not the fastest for top end but easy to drive..it will run 106 thats fast enough....

tomoad

jim,

what kind of prop, Rpms you running, What kind of set up, how many batteries & location? trolling motor on? just wondering

Bill Kemp

thanks for the info , i have tryed it at 1/4 above and lost some speed, prop slipped real bad on hole shot also so back down to even now,

lundy02 what prop are you running

badbait have you installed that f1 on anything ( it was nice meeting you at jasper)

jimxb02 what speeds are you getting at 1" above and with what prop

Bill Kemp

bill, i think i lost speed due to the props condition it's a good fishing prop but maybe a little ruff for some real speed. going to install my yamaha f1 in a couple weeks will buy a good prop for it and see what it can do

Jimxb02

tomoad and Bill,

I am running a Hoss hyperdrive three blade 14.5 X 30" prop at 6900 to 7000 RPM with 13" setback. I have one starting battery and no trolling motor. The boat is a tournament model but I use the live well as a beer cooler ; I don't fish with it. On a good day I can hit 98 to 99 MPH with smooth water and enough room to trim it out. I'm not the original owner of the boat and when I got it someone had taken most of the pad lip off. So I'm trying to work on the pad and replace some of the lip to get more lift at the transom. This is why I am currently running the motor so high ---- to get the motor to spin the RPM I need in order to get some good speed.

Jim