XB2003 / 280 Merc

Westy

I think I'm done screwing with the boat now so it's time to get the set-up right and learn to drive this thing. I can't believe how different it is then my old Astro Quickfire. Astro driving = tuck, hammer down, trim till it stops.

Here is how the Alli was set-up when I bought it. 14" of setback (allison manual), propshaft is even with the pad, The props I have are a 4 blade 28 pitch Hoss (don't know the model) or a 26 pitch Trophy. This boat was run mostly at Tenkiller Lake, OK so the elevation was a lot lower. I'm running the boat at 1100-1650 depending on which lake I go to.

Since I bought the boat I've changed the batteries (1) Optima D31 mounted in front of the gas tank towards the port side (because the trim pump and fuel system is on the starboard and (1) Optima D34M mounted in the port compartment. I also replaced the wimpy TM with a 82# Tour Edition. I know that TM weighs a lot more then the original. Everything else I've done has not added any real weight.

I've been to 84.5 mph by myself but it just doesn't feel right to me and I know this boat is capable of alot more. I've made a couple of 90 degree turns one at about 60 while letting off the gas the boat hooked right and the other time the boat hooked left while we were slowing down from 80. The first time it hooked right I know I had to much positive trim. The second time I have know idea why it did what it did espesially since it hooked left.

Help!!!

Westy

FLYING BUTCHER

give me a call anytime I will be glad to share my experience with ya on the 03 I ran for several years with exact same setup as you have more than happy to help out fellow family member have fun be safe oh cell 940-783-1236

John S

Take the TM off, drop the motor to 1/2- 3/4 below the pad, and play with it. That troller, even a light one, is a huge variable in how these boats handle. Im guessing that the troller is easily equal to a 200+ lb person in your front seat. Its way easier to learn how to drive an ally, then add variables, than to deal with all of them at once. My .02

xb2003

I personally think it's just overtrimming. Sitting beside an experienced pilot like Mr Bill will speed up the learning curve faster than anything you can read. Good luck and be safe.