Xb2003 No more carpet!

ntxwaterfowl

Thanks for the feedback, I’m going to have a hard time making up my mind. I’ll have to come up with something before too long though, the last time I power washed my boat some of the carpet decided to leave.

Drake Martin

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I am in the process of doing something similar now and I have two issues/questions... #1 is when I removed all of the carpet I removed the carpet that was sandwhich between the lid and hinge and afterwards the latch doesn’t seem as secure; did you have any issues with this? If so how did you solve this problem. Issue/ question #2 is concerning reattaching the lids and hinges to the boat how did you go about it? Re-riveting or did you use some counter sunk screws. I went with counter sunk screws but they seem to be binding so I’m conflicted now.

ntxwaterfowl

Jared may have found a better solution but I cut out neoprene gaskets as spacers for the latches. I will probably change that eventually but it has worked alright for the spacing. As far as rivets, I can't get them to work, just suck at it lol. I ended up using all stainless hardware from Lowes. small screws with a washer and a nylock nut on the back. Bit of a pain to get to but works just fine. Hope that helps!

Drake Martin

Thank you, yea the only place I’m having issues with the hardware is the front lid, the little hump or whatever it is just on the backside is a pain in the butt lol

ntxwaterfowl

Thank you, yea the only place I’m having issues with the hardware is the front lid, the little hump or whatever it is just on the backside is a pain in the butt lol
Yeah, that is tight there for sure. You can tape a nut on the open end of a wrench with some masking tape and ease it up there. Start hand threading it in and you can feel if it catches right then finish it off with the drill or screwdriver.

I want to turn that lid around the other way but it would require some fiberglass work to do it right and I can't bring myself to cut on my Ally that much.

xb03

I used aluminum flat bar to space out the lids to make them more even. I put the lids back on using stainless machine screws and lock nuts.

Drake Martin

I used aluminum flat bar to space out the lids to make them more even. I put the lids back on using stainless machine screws and lock nuts.
Thank you I should’ve know that the carpet was there for a reason but oh well... now time to take them all apart again

RiverRocket

Funny, I did the same thing. I used an aluminum flat bar on all the lids to space them into place.

FYI, on my XB21 Allison the carpet and glue weight was 25lbs. I left the carpet under the deck in the hatches.

Climatemaster

Probationary User
Love the idea of getting rid of carpet.....I am replacing the interior carpet in mine with colored Rhino Liner/Line-X or similar