Xb2003 owners???

Mick

Hi guys, working on the setup of my xb2003, I'm just trying to get a consensus on how you guys r running the skid plates/or if you feel it's not a necessary accessorie on the 03. I just got my new brackets from Bill Amd in order to mount them I'm A: gonna have to mount them on the inside of the jp with my set back configuration, or B: add a spacer or cut them to make them fit in the space provided in the outside of the jp. These brackets are wider in the mounting area than the old ones that were on the boat. Also wondering if the stock length of the planer needs to be modified shorter? Craig is playing a major role In helping me out, (huge help, top notch guy) couldn't do all this without him. So I'm sure he'll chime in and ask something I might be forgetting. My main concern is having a nice spot to mount my lss2, but also have it do what it's designed to. So basically just wanting to hear some input from the 03 guys and how you've mounted them. I have 14.5 inches of setback in case that helps. I'll be watching as I'm sure I'm missing some critical info. Thanks guys

scj

image.jpeg I had the same issue so I swapped the brackets from left to right and installed with the flanges facing outward. Brackets inside the jack plate.

Mick

Thanks scj!! I feel a lot better. I was looking over some old posts and noticed someone else did the same. Been racking my brain all day trying to figure out the best way to make this work. Nice colors on your 03 btw. I also notice you have boat buckles, any issues with them hitting the hull during loading/unloading? Just installed a pair and purposely went with the 1" smaller unit cause it looked like they'd be close to hitting the hull. Actually mounted mine with the bolt right in the middle of the buckle not in the hole loafted where I believ your supposed to bolt them.

gmorgan

I just put mine on a couple months back. I have 12.5 inches of set back. I flipped and installed the verticals on the inside. Only thing I would suggest is to shave about a half inch off the front of the verticals or mount them a little to the rear so they don't impinge on the radius in the 90 degree of the two front jp angles mounted to the transom.

gmorgan

This is a work in progress but as it is you cannot make water come on the back deck. I can stay on plane with a chopper at 16 to 18 mph.image.jpeg

Allyfishing

OK, this makes sense. Now for another question. I asked Bill what length skid planer is for the XB2003 and he stated 19". Mick's planer is 20" and when it was mounted on the boat (I'm only assuming it was the correct distance away from the pad as in the instruction sheet I got from on here) with the cheesy paper thin homemade brackets the planer stuck out toward the gearcase a lot further than the 2 pictures posted above.

so that gets me to thinking, is it because mick has over 14" of setback and the plate NEEDS to be as long as the engine mounts or should it be shorter? Steve and Gmargans are cut flush with the end of the brackets. gmorgan how long is your plate??

Thanks for helping guys

gmorgan

I know it's less than 20, seems like it is somewhere around 16 inches.

gmorgan

I couldn't get mine quite as low or as close to the pad as the instructions said, so I just put it as close as I could get it and said good enough.

Allyfishing

Did you notice an appreciable difference with out and with the planer?? I'm thinking the end of the planer needs to be close to the end of the JP where the motor mounts for it to be effective. I see yours and SCJ's pics where your plates end right about even with the JP.

GotMyAlly

I'd start with it long, run it with a go-pro stuck on the back of the boat, and shorten it if it's disturbing the water flow.

scj

The set back on my 03 was 14 1/2" and I was able to run the skid planer exactly as per the installation directions as far as height and set back off the hull.

Allyfishing

Steve, your setback is the same as Mick's and I see the end of yours is rear near the end of the brackets. So you remember how long your planer was? I didn't get a chance to take actual measurements from the pad and the height of the planer before Mick removed it but I do remember the planer sticking way back toward the gearcase. I'm thinking that contributed to it getting as bent as it was. Guess I'll just to wait and see once the boat is here again to clamp the brackets and plate together temporarily once all measurements are as per instructions and see where the end of the plate is compared to what I see yours are.

Allyfishing

Got off the phone with Bill and he stated that the setback from factory on the XB2003 was 14.5" so the plate needed for that combo is the 19" + plate. So Mick, this is the correct plate. I'm looking forward to getting it in place to see how it fits with the new brackets.

David Lanham

Mick: Nice looking and clean ride you have there. What year is it?
Once you're done with all the assessment testing of the foil, I suspect you'll be satisfied with just running the tail/foil on the gearcase alone (without the under jack-plate foil).

Mick

Mick: Nice looking and clean ride you have there. What year is it?
Once you're done with all the assessment testing of the foil, I suspect you'll be satisfied with just running the tail/foil on the gearcase alone (without the under jack-plate foil).
My boat/motor is a 96, I'll post more pics when's she's cleaned up and setup is done