XB2003 Rear post beef up for ski pylon

Stace

Decided to install a swivel-eze ski pylon on my XB03 but didn't have a drill small enough to drill the hole through the rear post. I decided to remove the post so I could measure and drill on the drill press. In removing my father in-law came up with the idea that on the install to use 1/4" flat head stainless bolts and countersink them flush with the top deck. Off to Lowes for the hardware.

4- 1/4"x 1.5" or 2" stainless flat head bolts
2 1/4"x2" stainless bolts to replace the bolts on the bottom of post
8- stainless 1/4" washers
6- 1/4" stainless lock nuts
1- 1/2" countersink bit

When all done this really stiffens up that rear seat post. Pics to follow.

To remove the post you need to get the 4 screws out underneath the deck and the 2 bolts down at the center stringer.
Now comes the fun part as its pretty tight. Pull the bottom of the post toward the fuel tank while wiggling and pushing down. I used a piece of pipe to drive it down from the top while my father in-law pulled and wiggled it out. Once you get it out make a mark on the pipe to reference the back side toward the tank. Peel the small strip of carpet back to prepare for drilling. Drill the pipe for the pylon making sure you are square. I drilled mine on one side with the pylon installed so once you get thru, the hole in the pylon sort of guides you. Now place the pipe down the hole in the top of the deck with the reference mark facing back, square up and drill your holes using the plate on the pipe as you guide. Countersink your holes and put the pipe back in with your new screws washers and locking nuts. Put your new bolts in thru the bottom of pipe and center stringer. Tighten up the top 4 then the bottom 2. Re glue down your carpet and your done. Good Luck!! Stace

Attachments

Last edited:

Fishforcash

Great information.

Has anyone tried to put a 3/4" nut in the pipe so the swivel eze gas seat pedistal will screw in for running? That is my biggest issue when running from spot to spot is pulling the pedistals when I move.

Stace

Nut could be done but you might want to make a new pipe out of steel or epoxy the nut in the alum. ally tube. Stace

Blue Gray in PA

Looks like a neat install. Did you notice any problem clearing the motor cowling? I'm particularly interested in clearance when pulling a tube versus a skier since the rope goes down at a steeper angle. Let me know how much clearance you have - I'm thinking of trying mine with just the pole and the rope attached but no weight on the tube. If it clears, then I'll drill and add the rear braces before actually towing anyone.

John S

Wow, we must have that espn thing, I was gonna ask about any tips for a ski pole install. Good job.

props4u2

Looks like a neat install. Did you notice any problem clearing the motor cowling? I'm particularly interested in clearance when pulling a tube versus a skier since the rope goes down at a steeper angle. Let me know how much clearance you have - I'm thinking of trying mine with just the pole and the rope attached but no weight on the tube. If it clears, then I'll drill and add the rear braces before actually towing anyone.
This type of ski pole is not designed to pull a tube which puts a lot more stress on the pylon. Most have a warning decal on them stating so. I have installed several ski tows on XB-2003's without removing the pedestal pole, you have to use an angle drill to drill the hole for the pin. The four bolts in the top plate are a great addition which can also be done without removing the pole.

Great information!

Lee

Last edited:

lightening rod

Scott, I have pulled a tube with my swivel-eze and never had a problem with it clearing the cowling. Most of my pulling has been kids and nothing real crazy, but I do not think the cowling would be an issue either way. Just make sure you pin it at the pedestal hole, I found out the hard way that the pole will come out and hit the cowling if you dont.

Chris

Lotus 50

The tube problem is if the tubes flip and catch water, they can create a big load very quickly.

I only tow tubes with the transom mounts, which is a shame, as the pylon works a lot better.