Xb2003 setups for fishing

Mick

Hey guys, this winter I plan on rigging my boat to gear up for the upcoming season.. Coming from a gambler the storage snd layout is very different. Hoping the 03 guys could shed any insight or tips on what y'all have done as far as tackle organization, electronic placement, any tips, maybe some
Pics of your setups etc.. Also I'm looking for a few items that if anyone is looking to get rid of please let me know..
-retractable transom buckles
-mg tour edition 82, considering mk
- gauges, if anyone has a set I might take it, couple of mine r not working. Would like to keep them matching so will probably get them at a later date.
-pedastal, 1 power pole and 1 for sitting seat with back
Thanks in advance

scj

A Touch 7 or HDS 7 Gen 2 is about as big that'll fit in the recess on the left side of the dash area. Anything bigger will set out beyond the dash. I used a Touch 9 on the bow with a raised mount. The LS2 structure scan was mounted on the skid planer and everything was networked together.

Look around and find someone selling off their gauges. You may be able to find a really nice complete aftermarket set up someone is getting rid of.

Bass Pro sells the retractable buckles. They are not cheap but IMO, are worth it.

Mick

That's what I ended up going with, the hds7 touches, there leaps and bounds from what I used to lol.. Just figured I'd post some of the stuff I'm looking for, you never know what guys have laying around.. I'm gonna be a bargain hunter this year til I win a couple T's out of my new rig and fill the kitty back up!! ; ) lol

Mick

Lmao, if I can talk mama into packing up for Tn I'm sure that'd be true, I'll trade the Rods for beer!! (Except when the rally comes to town) then I might wanna get my hands on that perty trophy..

hirk

Cooks tackle system are nice under the front lid if you dont have the factory trays. I put a normark magnetic tool holder under that lid too for sizzors, pliers and a file. Retractable rod strap is nice, you can put it in the deck floor flush since it doesnt fit the gunnel contour very well. Rod sleeves in the box, I like the loose fitting bps much better then the tight fitting mesh sleeves. Motor guide is lighter and has a smaller peddle.

Mick

Thanks hirk, I cannot find anything on the Allison website showing pics or describing there organizer, but have been told they make one. Any idea what 1 of those cost?

hirk

Call Bill on price/availabilty. I would look for a desk file holder for your plano boxes and place it on the floor below the lid instead of the box that way you can hang the cooks system. I keep the bulk of my tackle in a big rubbermaid tray with gallon bags marked dropshot,creatures etc on each in one of the back storages

Mick

Hirk- great idea with the file holder for my my Plano boxes, I think I'm gonna go with Craig's idea of the foam on the lid, I watched that you tube video of Aaron martens boat that he posted a link too on bbc and really liked that inexpensive idea for holding baits.

Chad- are those milk crates you cut too fit in there? They look to fit in there nice and tight.

hirk

Nice setup Chad, I will have a look at the foam. The cooks system is good for hanging bags of plastics, you can load 3-4 bags on each hook of what you fish most often.

GotMyAlly

I know MK vs MG trolling motor debate is about as hot of a topic as ford vs chevy, but I'll wade into this. I've had both on my Allisons. Yes, the MK weighs more. Hard to build a light weight, high quality trolling motor I guess. I was never happy with the last two MG's I had. The brackets squeaked/flexed/popped every time you got on or off the go button. And even the motor was noiser than an MK. I'll take the weight penalty and run an MK from now on........

An 82 ought to put an XB03 on plane. That's about what I've got on my 21 (Fortrex 80). I think I ran a 67 on my last 03 and it was as quick as my 21 with the 80. I do fish in current, and both combos were equally sufficient. The Fortrex is easier to hold straight at WOT.

For tackle organization, I put clip-strips on the outside of the tackle tray in the front storage to hold bags of soft plastics. That setup worked well for me.

Mick

I know MK vs MG trolling motor debate is about as hot of a topic as ford vs chevy, but I'll wade into this. I've had both on my Allisons. Yes, the MK weighs more. Hard to build a light weight, high quality trolling motor I guess. I was never happy with the last two MG's I had. The brackets squeaked/flexed/popped every time you got on or off the go button. And even the motor was noiser than an MK. I'll take the weight penalty and run an MK from now on........

An 82 ought to put an XB03 on plane. That's about what I've got on my 21 (Fortrex 80). I think I ran a 67 on my last 03 and it was as quick as my 21 with the 80. I do fish in current, and both combos were equally sufficient. The Fortrex is easier to hold straight at WOT.

For tackle organization, I put clip-strips on the outside of the tackle tray in the front storage to hold bags of soft plastics. That setup worked well for me.
Dude you nailed exactly what I wanted to know on the great trolling motor caper lol.. I really enjoyed my mg on my gambler but it was noisy, and from using the mk on my buddy's BC, it just was awkward from being so used to the MG. with that said everyone I talk to says go with mk, just tying to find "clean" used as my funds r getting tight after my purchase. Posted on bbc and someone messaged me last night with a 3 yr old tour 82 so going to inquire on that, should it not be what he says think I'm gonna drop down to a 70 or so maxum or fortrex.. As far as the on plane I do fish a lot of electric only and with a 101 on the transom also, the ally will still be in front of the pack :) lol...

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
As far as trolling motors go I have had both on mine. Both were 24 volt. The MG was 62# and fishing tidal rivers worked but, that's about all. I now have a 80# MK Fortrex. It is much quieter, doesn't squeak, pop and has a lot more power than the 62# MG. But, If I could do it all over I would have went 36 volt MK Fortrex.

As far as storage goes. To me the XB 2003 fishes like a 17-18 foot standard bass boat. But has loads of storage. The to rear compartments are 1.5 feet wide and like 4 foot long. I just throw all my plano boxes in the one behind the driver. I took the battery and battery tray out of the drivers side and put it in front of the tank on the drivers side. The compartment behind the passenger has 1 troller battery and the oil tank plus a small/medium igloo cooler. There is still room for my raingear, TP and lots of other small do dads. The picture of my front storage looks a little messy but, it has the stuff I use 85% of the time in it. Hooks, sinkers, favorite plastics, etc..... O yea, as far as throwable floatation extra jackets and other crap. I just stuff it under the front deck as you can see from the pic.

hirk

I do the same as you K dawg since I have the trays in this boat (didnt in my other so I used the cooks). Im running a 70lb motorguide with a brute mount and I fish lots of slop with no complaints power wise but dont fish current.

Mick

K dawg , those trays that r in your compartment, are those from Allison? Where would I get those.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Yes, those are the trays from Allison. They were in it when I bought it. I like Chads set up.

Chad, what are those things, rubber made containers?

Mick

Does Allison have a site where you can look at these accessories? Haven't been able to find much..

chad202

They are plastic bins for manilla folders I found at Walmart. I wanted something deep enough to hold my stuff but high up in the compartment. I just measured the opening and brought my tape measure to Walmart and started measuring. Had to do a little modifying but nothing hard at all. It wasn't pretty but sure did serve the purpose.