XB21/250XS prop testing (95 mph challenge)

GotMyAlly

Here's the video, but first.....I'll try to preempt some questions.

-Temps were in the mid to upper 90s
-Boat was loaded as normal
-Those familiar with the area will note that I was going upstream when the readings were taken (but current typically does not flow behind that island except when the water is really high)
-Numbers verified by 3 GPS's in the boat
1. Smartcraft which uses my humminbird 798's internal GPS antenna (showed 97.5mph on my best run)
2. Humminbird 998 which has no recall but showed 96.9 when I glanced down just before shutting down. Reviewing the hi def version of the video and zoomed in, I could see the numbers click 97.something several times, but couldn't read the last digit due to glare.
3. Old Garmin handheld GPS in the glovebox. (Full disclosure, the recall on this one showed 95.8, but I think it just didn't have time to catch up on a short run)

Probably should have made a few more passes with it, but the props for the test didn't make it to the rally until 4:00 on the last day of the rally, so I didn't get to play with them long enough to really get comfortable enough to hold it on the floor for miles and miles on end.

The first prop ran like other props have on my boat - just a little below the pad. Nearing the point of even with the pad, it got unresponsive to trim so I didn't jack it any higher. The second prop liked the height though. The higher I went, the faster it ran. My jackplate was just a couple taps from topped out and I was nearing the point of running out of water pressure when I made my best run.

Last edited:

Podge

-Those familiar with the area will note that I was going upstream when the readings were taken (but current typically does not flow behind that island except when the water is really high)
1. Smartcraft which uses my humminbird 798's internal GPS antenna (showed 97.5mph on my best run)
2. Humminbird 998 which has no recall but showed 96.9 when I glanced down just before shutting down. Reviewing the hi def version of the video and zoomed in, I could see the numbers click 97.something several times, but couldn't read the last digit due to glare.
3. Old Garmin handheld GPS in the glovebox. (Full disclosure, the recall on this one showed 95.8, but I think it just didn't have time to catch up on a short run)

Probably should have made a few more passes with it, but the props for the test didn't make it to the rally until 4:00 on the last day of the rally, so I didn't get to play with them long enough to really get comfortable enough to hold it on the floor for miles and miles on end.

The first prop ran like other props have on my boat - just a little below the pad. Nearing the point of even with the pad, it got unresponsive to trim so I didn't jack it any higher. The second prop liked the height though. The higher I went, the faster it ran. My jackplate was just a couple taps from topped out and I was nearing the point of running out of water pressure when I made my best run.

What props were you using?

GotMyAlly

Both were Hydromotives. One of their offshore props cut down in diameter a little. The first one had a little less pitch and a little more cup. Todd tells a little about it in the video, but I'd recommend you call him for more details.

xb03fs

If he's loaning the prop out I'd like to see what I could do in cool weather with my 200. I think it would take a 30p to put up a big with 1.87 gears and the meat of the power band below 6k.

xb03fs

I recently,reduced my setback from 11.5 to 9 and it was the correct decision. The ride improved drastically, I feel if carries a load better which seems contrary to what it should be, and holeshot is even better.....I may have lost a little quickness from on plane to 40 is the only negative. Rear of boat takes better set in the midrange as well.

30 p @ 6000 at current slip would be 88, not sure if 88 is possible with a 200 but I think 85/86 with a topend setup instead of a all around setup is possible

GotMyAlly

One more thing I forgot to mention before. Even with all the weight from two trolling motor batteries, that soft yeti cooler, rods, and trolling motor all on the port side, I still had to add a 25 lb bag of shot in the port side to counter my weight and balance the boat out. I can only imagine how much weight it would take to offset the weight of the driver in a 2+2 or a 2-seater.

xb03fs

I would be pretty surprised if a ton of additional weight needs to be added solo? The center line of both boats unless you set it up for center steer has a very similar offset. I would be surprised if the driver is more than an inch or so further right. On the 2+2 the center step is not so wide. Maybe not any wider than the Prosport step.

Also, I feel the consoles being symmetrical probably equalize the downforce better than all the downforce offset to the left. Due to this I think the extra 2-3 mph the prosport has is due to 1. Being 250-300 lbs less weight and 2. the center console keeping more air out of the cockpit creating better aero.

Attachments

GotMyAlly

I think it's only 100-150lbs difference between an prosport and a 2+2.

I didn't think about the downforce being offset to the right, but that may have something to do with the necessity of the shot bag on the left side.

xb03fs

Darris is a pretty smart feller, I bet he planned all of this long before he started the first plug.

your right I was thinking xb2003 weights for some reason.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Video shows Neal running 107...... Who ya gonna trust, me or your Lyin' eyes???

whipper

I get it. Hes being Facetious. haha In other words the GPS is what it is and Lyin eyes is a song but in this context meant for anyone who dispels what they are seeing perhaps and shouldn't be up for discussion as it is what the gps says it is not 107 that anyone can say if they have no proof. Or something like that...;)

Alli-drenaline Rush

Neal you coulda gone big if you had not shown the GPS number! The distance between these two points on the right of the video at the 5:58 - 6:10 time marks is 1,930 ft. You traversed that distance in 12.3 sec...... Yielding a speed of 107 mph....... never mind that YouTube probably sped up the video from a real time to traverse of 13.8 sec to a perceived time of 12.3 sec...... Never-you-mind! You coulda been stud duck for a 107 mph run, but now you're just a loser for only posting a 95.7 mph run, and giving GPS data to back it up lmao!
image.jpg image.jpg

Sincerely, your buddy ADR :)

Alli-drenaline Rush

I get it. Hes being Facetious. haha In other words the GPS is what it is and Lyin eyes is a song but in this context meant for anyone who dispels what they are seeing perhaps and shouldn't be up for discussion as it is what the gps says it is not 107 that anyone can say if they have no proof. Or something like that...;)
Bingo Whipper!