XB21 280 power?

silverfox

Anyone tell me how the XB21 performs with 280 power.I have seen the pictures of Ed Browns on this site.Anyone know this boat and where he is located?

jdm90

Silverfox - Ed is a friend of mine and I actually bought his old boat when he ordered his new XB21. I have driven and rode in his boat when it was still in break-in period. LOL not sure if it's even out of that yet - he just hasn't had it out much. Ed doesn't visit the site, but I will ask him about how he likes the 280. We are suppose to get together next week at Guntersville, so maybe I can get some seat time with that rig.
David

silverfox

David ,Thanks for the info.I'm considering a 21xb for my 280.I believe the balance should be good with that combination.If Ed would pm a phone number I coud give him a call.I hope your trip to Guntersville is a good one.I'll look forward to hearing fom you.I'm located on Lake Hartwell in NE GA. Thanks Lanny

spudman14

Silverfox,
I have a 2006 Bassport with a 280. I had the motor on a 21 xdc Bullet for years.
The Ally is about 6 mph faster than the Bullet with the same motor. The balance
and weight are great, the holeshot is great, but the Bassport is heavy and probably
likes the torque of the 300xs. I have a freind with a 300xs on an xb21 that is happy
with his setup. His boat is about 7 mph faster than mine. I'm waiting for the 350xs!

silverfox

Thanks for the info Spudman.I'm sure the 300xs would be awesome,but I'll just have to make do with this old 280.I have got sort of attached to it.If I got rid of it ,it probably would get mad and fly all apart.When your buddy with the 300xs is not looking,you can slip and put it in break in with shift lever and make it a little more interesting.Of course he's not going to think thats too funny.Thanks Lanny

spudman14

Silverfox,
The 280 is more than adequate. Mine has run 87gps at Amistad with a stock sm (needs
Todd's mods). That's with two people and equip. It's about 3 mph faster than my 21'
xdc with a 300x. I run 12" setback 1/4" below the pad. I'm running a 26" pro et but only
turn it 7000. Maybe a little too much prop for the elevation. Sounds better than a 300xs.

silverfox

Spudman,I hear you on the sounds better.Elevation does affect performance for sure.Down here in Ga we don't have too many issues with it.One thing you may want to check are your sensors. Two of my freinds both run 03 prosports with 280 power.Their motors would pull to 7000 or so and flatten out.Turns out they both had def air temp sensors.They were reading 32 degrees all time and keeping them really rich plus using lots of fuel.Just thougt I would pass that on to you.Thanks Lanny

props4u2

If you have an hyd. jack plate, once you get up on the pad you can raise the engine to 1/2 - 3/4" above the pad on the 21's. You will need to lower the trim as you raise the engine so the bow doesn't get kitey. You will see a big difference in speed. Before you get out of the throttle hard drop the engine down without touching the trim.

Lee

Silverfox,
The 280 is more than adequate. Mine has run 87gps at Amistad with a stock sm (needs
Todd's mods). That's with two people and equip. It's about 3 mph faster than my 21'
xdc with a 300x. I run 12" setback 1/4" below the pad. I'm running a 26" pro et but only
turn it 7000. Maybe a little too much prop for the elevation. Sounds better than a 300xs.