Xb21 pad/lip

merc106

Has anyone modded the pad or lip on these. What is the deal on the pad wideing or flaring out the last inch or so on the SIDE of the pad ( not talking about the lip ). Don't really understand what this would do or how it would benefit anything. Looks to me like it would cause resistance.

GotMyAlly

I have not touched my pad, but here is my own personal opinion on the the pad. I believe that outter inch or so on each side that you asked about is there to make it bite in turns. Flat pads were used for decades on many different boats (and still in use on some) and in some ways are easier to drive, but don't turn like our boats. But that same design that makes them turn on a dime, also makes them bite when a little forgiveness would be preferable sometimes.

xb03fs

I believe that with the 21s the most dangerous area is between 40-60 it seems to be where they can least tolerate excessive motor and trim height.... Where the boat will run at wot will make the ass end slide out at 40/60 with any amount of trim.....easy enough to back it down before it goes around so it's never hooked technically.. Knock on wood I've caught it each time