XR2001 as a lake pleasure boat?

whipper

What are the layups for the XR2001,s? Is there a really light race only type layup and is there a layup that can handle chop better than a really light one or does it matter? Ive always thought that a two seat XR2001 would be a great play boat. 80% of the time im by my self and feel an XR would be all i need for ripping around. Anyone ever put hydrolic steering on one? Are they very good in the chop? Just wondering.

nort

The 1990 I've got for sale weighs in at just over 600lbs and is a ModVp layup.
Originally owned by Owen Boris, it was campagained as a roundy round boat, then set up for drag racing, then converted to a pleasure boat with seating for 2, hydraulic steering and a full interior. It handles chop very well.
Since I purchased it I've switched it back to a drag boat but I've still got all the dress up parts to make it a pleasure cruiser again.

K.Kiser

River Racers were made for marathon runs up and down rivers that can have a healthy bit of windblown chop.. At 600+lbs you won't hurt one of those hulls unless that's your express intent to do so.. If you start crawling an wallowing around on the top cap then you'll spider crack it, but the hull is plenty solid enough.. Earlier XR01 (pre-05 ?) have a little steeper deadrise and little deeper molded depth and run across chop just as well as any other Allison.. Performance wise and driving fun it will ruin you as youre coming from a full size boat..

With that said, you won't hurt a 550lbs XR drag unless you wailing on it pretty hard but the RR was made for it

Last edited:

mxzx

What are the layups for the XR2001,s? Is there a really light race only type layup and is there a layup that can handle chop better than a really light one or does it matter? Ive always thought that a two seat XR2001 would be a great play boat. 80% of the time im by my self and feel an XR would be all i need for ripping around. Anyone ever put hydrolic steering on one? Are they very good in the chop? Just wondering.
I have also been toying with the idea of getting rid of my GS and getting a XR2001 to play around with. Would also get a regular family boat for cruising and watersports.

Jon

Supporting Member
I think we could start a club for this. There are 3 other guys locally I was discussing this with about 3 weeks ago. Most of the time a lot of us ride by ourselves, and just want to rip it for a while, then put the boat up.

Nort, where is your XR for sale? Have a listing handy?

michael j giesler

A Allison river racer rip around good for a lake boat but constantly walking around the deck will eventually stress crack the deck i love them don't get me wrong but i would rather have a xr 2002 instead i heard a rumor that Allison may be making one or two

Lotus 50

I've seen Nort's boat and the rest of his fleet. It's all good. He has it for sale on S&F and the two Canadian sites, Fastboats Canada and HPBC.

Most years my SS is mostly used solo. For some reason last year, most of my trips were 4 up. But I do have a 'family' boat, a 16' Baja with a 115 HO Etec. Sometimes we take both boats if we don't all fit in one. I endorse the two boat solution. Of course 2 boats is not enough for some of us.

gmorgan

Some of the biggest fun times I ever had was in a '91 XR2001 with a 15 inch motor and reasonably modified 2.5. Put an XR6 case on it and handling will improve big time. You can run 100 at 7,000 RPM with a 28P chopper. At that point, you have +/- 20 MPH left, and when you punch it, it will almost knock the air out of you. I never tried a bigger prop. This setup was good for 123 and at that speed it is really easy to outrun your eyesight.

Dave Hensley

They are fun boats for cruising. Just don't kid yourself into thinking they are practical. They provide difficult ingress/egress from trailer, docks, water etc. pain in the *** to work inside the boat. Two folks and a small cooler fill them up. Once your inside however they are a hoot to drive. The cockpit makes you feel bullet proof and provides a nice place to lean on when you hook it. XR2002 hands down better lake boat.

Jon

Supporting Member
I can't imagine you would ever want to dock one - what a hassle. A GS or SS is difficult enough in certain situations since you really can't walk on the bow - shame on you that do :). So Dave, in the instance that you leave your trailer in the water, make a few laps, then pull the boat back out, it could be an easier to run boat. As you said though, the XR02 is something else, and everyone I've seen the driver loves it. I would just rather have the cockpit of the 01 as personal preference.

K.Kiser

I'll second the recent comments.. The decks will not hold a grown man without gifting you those beautiful gel cracks, but some people are drawn to sitting on large decked shiny surfaces.. Make sure your trailer has the steps that go all the way to the front of the trailer...

Like Dave said, working inside them with seats and tank in place is an exercise in profane language.. Those things about the boats really suck, but the drive is the perfect opposite..

IMO the best all around Allison lake boat is an xb02.. Best all around lake racer is an xr02.. Most addictive driving boats are the xr02 and xr01

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
Currently listed on FBC, HPBC and S&F under the heading "1990 XR2001 ModVP"
I just checked, and that is a great looking boat. I am honestly only window shopping, but do you have any pictures with the different interior? I would be interested to see what it looks like set up that way. Thanks!

Dave Hensley

I can't imagine you would ever want to dock one - what a hassle. A GS or SS is difficult enough in certain situations since you really can't walk on the bow - shame on you that do :). So Dave, in the instance that you leave your trailer in the water, make a few laps, then pull the boat back out, it could be an easier to run boat. As you said though, the XR02 is something else, and everyone I've seen the driver loves it. I would just rather have the cockpit of the 01 as personal preference.
Not many places you can leave the trailer in the water at the ramp. If you can't walk all the way around the trailer you are going to get wet. Best thing is to have someone back you in which is not always convenient. Bottom line is they are race boats and if you use them for anything else they are a serious compromise.

Jon

Supporting Member
I can leave it on my ramp. That isn't the norm for sure, but I was asking specifically for myself. I actually get wet every time I put my GS into the water except, like you said, when someone backs me in, which is rare. I need a small catwalk right next to the ramp - maybe just a 2x12 on some posts. I think I will eventually get one as those who have seen me drive will not let me drive their boat...

propmanjay

Most fun I have had driving a boat was with my 2001. It was much more forgiving than my SS. But as stated above what a drag getting in and out. At 6'3" I couldn't run mine with the fairing due to no room and my shoulders had to curl to fit in the cockpit.

nort

I just checked, and that is a great looking boat. I am honestly only window shopping, but do you have any pictures with the different interior? I would be interested to see what it looks like set up that way. Thanks!
I don't think I do however the ad that Tim Hunter (THunter764) posted when I purchased it from him did have several pics of the interior. I believe the ad was posted on both S&F and Alli Owners forum.