XR2001 Steering cables...

Ranger976

Can someone let me know if there is any rocket science in getting the steering cables hooked up to the wing plate pullies to the correct tension...how can I tell if they're the right tension or not..... never done it just wondering if there's any do's and dont's .....Thanks Jim

FlatOutAlly

Dayum, Jim....

First off, I have no experience with 'cable' steering. (Pinkie coined that phrase.) But weren't you riding around on a Ranger a year or two ago? Now you're looking for race cable steering setup tips? Must really suck to be you. :beer: Congrats and good luck. We will meet someday soon...

Cp

patches

thats a pretty tough one to answer on the computer. i can tell you they don't have to be very tight. thread the cables through the "deadhead clamp" and while the screws on the clamp are fairly loose pull the cable through the clamp till you get the desired tension. once you get it close 1/8" or 1/4" pulls make a difference. you should never hear any kind of creaking or straining from the hull at any contact point. if so you are way too tight. if there too loose the cables will have a very slight amount of slack around the pulleys and if you could watch them very close when you nudge the wheel you'll see the "slack" come out before the motor moves. tighten it up enough to make sure the cables aren't limp around the pulleys. sorry i couldn't be more helpful. like i said tough to answer on the computer. if it would be any help feel free to call me. erik kiser 318 560 7510

Swamp boy

Can somebody post a pic of where ya mounted the pulley to the wingplate? Just finished mine last night and wantin to double check it.

Hope ya get it figured out Ranger, I'll get ya some pics of mine once I double check this, if it'll help ya.

David

patches

here's the pics. let me know if either of ya'll need anything else

ranger, like i said i, feel free to call if you get in a spot and have a question. don't know if i can help but i have hooked up two or three of em. just got through switching my xr2002 over to cable pulley

patches

:blah blah blah:blah blah blah:blah blah blah.keep talking schitt. we'll see pretty soon if you would ever work on that boat.

Ranger976

Thanks to all for the responses....it's going to be a couple of weeks before I get my can back from paint but tryin' to get an Idea what it's going to take since I bought the rig without a motor will be intouch as I progress once again Thanks Jim

John S

Jim, it might be helpful to talk to Al at Supreme marine. Hes pretty close to you (94 and Dowling), and might be able to give a couple hints. Just beware of his dog/horse.

Casey G

with the motor at neutral trim and using your thumb and index finger you should just be able to squeeze them together halfway between the motor and anchor point. you want there to be some tension when your squeezing them together, but not so much that you can't touch the cables and not to little where they just slap together.

if they are to loose the boat will be hard to drive and if they are to tight the boat won't steer when you trim it under.

Ranger976

I know Allen at Supreme...they are actually modifiying a lower for me right as we speak...I'll mention it to him a week from this monday when I pick the lower up....Thanks Jim I'm out of town till the 5th....Jim

Ranger976

with the motor at neutral trim and using your thumb and index finger you should just be able to squeeze them together halfway between the motor and anchor point. you want there to be some tension when your squeezing them together, but not so much that you can't touch the cables and not to little where they just slap together.

if they are to loose the boat will be hard to drive and if they are to tight the boat won't steer when you trim it under.
Thanks Casey G... sounds logical to me just didn't know for sure....Jim

Ranger976

Typical Ranger guy, hears a good idea, and then he makes it his own idea, althewhile, talking in third person.....lol. Cant wait to see you on the water, Jim.
Well John, I can't wait myself....Scott knows allto well how I have been bustin' my backside to get this rig up and running for this upcoming racing season. Rick Conklin with Conklin racing has been trying to get me to commit to the race in Poplar Bluff, Mo, on the 15th of May, but I can't see I'm going to be ready due to the fact I'm going to need some serious testing time due to the fact that it's a whole new set-up....need to get the ice off the lakes first...I think we're going to have a fun year....I have high hopes as some of the best in the biz have been helping me keep this project moving....are you going to Fairibault and Omaha to compete this year....? Jim

John S

Not sure Im competitive now that I got the barge, but well see. It will mainly depend on my work schedule if Im out of town. But if you need a safety boat, or just an extra pair of hands when youre testing, call me anytime, Id love to help. Heck, Id just like to watch. Keep Scotty away from that thing, hes just snoopin to find some of Jay Smith's secrets.lol

Ranger976

will need an extra set of hands and a safety boat.....I'll definitly keep you advised....as for Scotty, he's already been to the shop a couple of times snoopin' around I think that he's going to get his rig running so well that he's afraid he's going to get bumped up a class.....LMAO....Jim

v8astrovan

wanting to do the same steering on my xr2002 but thinking about going to a 12" mid.. pitches that cowl sure does look like ive seen it b4 on another xr2002...

Mr. Scary

My brother (Jeff) works for Al at Supreme Marine. He used to make all of the Nydahl Steering systems at our shop before we sold it to Wintech. They can definitely help you.