Xr2002

XSive

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for information on setup on an XR2002. Center steer, 200 -225 HP. What gearcase, prop engine height. Placement of the battery, front or rear. What about the lip on the pad...anyone run one without the lip.

Not trying to be an A-hole, but unless you've actually run one, please don't clutter this up with comparisons to an XB or some other boat.

Thanks in advance.

Casey G

i work on my brother in law's that he races in the DSRA's Super Stock class @ 1425lbs. it's a 88 in-line seating comp (550lbs hull) with a 15" mid, 2 to 1 sportmaster with an Allison plate and a stock 2.5 200hp. it has a 16 gal cell, 2 Optima blue top's, trim pump and fuel pump all in front of the fuel cell and all of that is squeezed in the rear compartment area. the motor is about 5/16" above and it has a 8" Allison plate.

the bottom is missing the lip and needs some work. we hope to get it fixed over the winter.

XSive

i work on my brother in law's that he races in the DSRA's Super Stock class @ 1425lbs. it's a 88 in-line seating comp (550lbs hull) with a 15" mid, 2 to 1 sportmaster with an Allison plate and a stock 2.5 200hp. it has a 16 gal cell, 2 Optima blue top's, trim pump and fuel pump all in front of the fuel cell and all of that is squeezed in the rear compartment area. the motor is about 5/16" above and it has a 8" Allison plate.

the bottom is missing the lip and needs some work. we hope to get it fixed over the winter.

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I am curious when you say the lip is gone and the botom needs work...Have there been handling issues and are you putting the lip back on?

Casey G

I am curious when you say the lip is gone and the botom needs work...Have there been handling issues and are you putting the lip back on?
it drives ok with trim, but it takes a little more then we'd like to get it to run good. plus it's a roll of the dice if it's going to be a clean pass or start bouncing and once it starts the only way to stop it is more trim. the boat never really frees up and gets loose like it should. it drives and handles about the same with a 200 case or the sportmaster.

Larry D

I had a 1990 xr2002 with a 300 drag on it. it ran 116 with a 24 yamaha drag prop on it and it ran straight as a arrow. My buddy bought him one and put a 300 on it too. that thing would not go straight and you cold not stop it from bouncing. someone took the lip off his. we brought both boat to a glass shop and told the guy to put the same exact same pencil roll on his that was on mine. never should have done that my buddy would kick my *** everytime we ran after that. you wouldn't think it was the same boat. later Larry D

XSive

Thanks for all the interesting info. Does anyone have a template/drawing of what the lip is suppose to be like. I believe it is kind of wedge shaped and is deeper in the middle and essentially goes to zero at the edges.

actmobmar

good post, what about battery placement, center or off to one side?

bigtis

if the boat's center steer, put the batter in the center if you sit off to the right, put the battery in the left rear.

actmobmar

boat is center steer, was wondering about the engine torque. what about the whole lip thing, has anyone played w/ it?

Mr. Scary

I had a 1990 xr2002 with a 300 drag on it. it ran 116 with a 24 yamaha drag prop on it and it ran straight as a arrow. My buddy bought him one and put a 300 on it too. that thing would not go straight and you cold not stop it from bouncing. someone took the lip off his. we brought both boat to a glass shop and told the guy to put the same exact same pencil roll on his that was on mine. never should have done that my buddy would kick my *** everytime we ran after that. you wouldn't think it was the same boat. later Larry D
You can take at least some of the lip out, but you then need to make sure there's enough weight up front. We had one up here that wouldn't stop porpoising. I got in it and it drove like it was on rails....the owner weight 135 pounds and I was 195 pounds. That was all it took. It had a little bit of a lip but when the bottom was blueprinted, they took a little bit out to make it more like the drag boat.

Larry D

You can take at least some of the lip out, but you then need to make sure there's enough weight up front. We had one up here that wouldn't stop porpoising. I got in it and it drove like it was on rails....the owner weight 135 pounds and I was 195 pounds. That was all it took. It had a little bit of a lip but when the bottom was blueprinted, they took a little bit out to make it more like the drag boat.
Sam, for some reason that boat would never take a set. My buddy weighs 220 and that thing was uncontrolable. after putting the penceil roll back. you could drive the thing with one hand at 118 on a staker radar gun. i have been driving allisons since 1991. i own a merc dealership and rigged a few xb2002,xb2003,xr2002 and xr 2001's. no ss2000's. been over a hundred in all of them. have never hooked one (YET). Hope Rex is not around when i do. Glad to see removing it helps out some people, but i would never fool with one. so when are you going to make one of our DSRA races. later Larry D

Mr. Scary

When I get something competitive. I'm no dummy...you guys are FAST - AND you get year 'round testing. We only get to run 6-7 months out of the year so we're at a disadvantage. I guarantee I'll at least be down to watch one soon. I'll see if I can get Jimmy Johnston to let me rent his boat for a weekend and go racing! :)

Larry D

When I get something competitive. I'm no dummy...you guys are FAST - AND you get year 'round testing. We only get to run 6-7 months out of the year so we're at a disadvantage. I guarantee I'll at least be down to watch one soon. I'll see if I can get Jimmy Johnston to let me rent his boat for a weekend and go racing! :)
Sam. Jimmy and i are real good friends. He had talked about bringing the boat to Butte LaRose and i was going to drive it. he just wanted to sit on the bank and drink a few. I got real busy taking care of 3 prostock boats and my dealership and i guess he has a lot of work going on too. So that never happened. I'm sure if you talk to him you might get him to bring the boat to the Gulf Port race. that's only a couple of hrs. from his home. It would sure be nice to see him and Bobby again. later Larry D

actmobmar

i ran the xr yesterday for the first time, it porpoises like crazy!!! gonna put the lip back on this am, what has everyone done w/ the gas pedal when you make the boat center steer?? the mounting pad on the port side has the totally wrong placement for the pedal , my leg was getting cramped!

BGohr

Well I always run the pedal on the left. Anyone that circled raced drove with their left foot and braced with their right.
I run mine with the steering on the side and the trim pump and the battery are out in the left wing, and I run my motor lower than everyone else but it seems to have worked all these years.............

Attachments

GFinch

I have a center steer XB2003. The throttle was on the pearch made for it when I bought it. The toe of my shoe(#13) would catch on the bottom of the consoul, so.
I took a piece of 1/4" Aluminum, drilled and tapped it beveled the edges, slit the carpet and lifted it so I could glue it to the floor. Glued the carpet and installed the hot foot closer to center.
So now it's more centered and lower. More Better!
Also made a dead pedal out of Aluminum for the other foot. The one I have now doesn't have the trim buttons in it.

Attachments