XS2003 hull question/progress

Baxter0808

Good day everyone,
I am restoring a Grand Sport I was given, its pretty rough and I am completely new to these boats. I have been doing a lot of sanding and grinding to do some glass work. There is a strange square pocket in the bilge that I am clueless to what it may be for. Can someone shed some light on it for me? It collects water so I want to either cut down and fill it to ensure all water runs towards the stern and to the bilge pump, or is this something of a specific purpose?
It is located just forward of the center14650 bench seat opening

Baxter0808

Not just yet. The boat sadly had the engine bolts ripped through the transom. Took on water and rolled, then was dragged onto a slip. Soooo.. windshield and deck damage, as well as transom needs to be redone. So my view was dive in deep and give her the love she deserves all over!
No clue on engine yet though.

xb03

Not just yet. The boat sadly had the engine bolts ripped through the transom. Took on water and rolled, then was dragged onto a slip. Soooo.. windshield and deck damage, as well as transom needs to be redone. So my view was dive in deep and give her the love she deserves all over!
No clue on engine yet though.
What year hull?

SLOmofo

This will give you an idea as to where and how much lip/pencil roll, called many different names,..... there is on a 1994 XB 2003. Yours will be similar. This removal was done because people prior to me owning this boat patched it. There are still a few thousandths remaining.

Attachments

Baxter0808

I havent done any sanding on the bottom yet. Getting the transom redone, then will flip the boat to patch some nicks and scratches in the bottom but no major repairs to be done. Just want to scuff and have the bottom painted.

Should I concern myself with sanding down that lip?

dubmoney

My memory tells me that the XB2003 came with two different lip dimensions. .090 and .065. Mine was more than .090 more like .115. I started removing about .005 at a time until I liked the way it ran. I am now at about .028. It may go faster if I took more off, but I am at 102mph so I kinda gave up on tuning set up any more than that, now I am focused on fishing.

xb03

My memory tells me that the XB2003 came with two different lip dimensions. .090 and .065. Mine was more than .090 more like .115. I started removing about .005 at a time until I liked the way it ran. I am now at about .028. It may go faster if I took more off, but I am at 102mph so I kinda gave up on tuning set up any more than that, now I am focused on fishing.
The Grand Sport, even though it shares the same bottom as the xb2003 runs totally different with the lip. The lighter bow in the Grand Sport lets you get away with running big numbers with the factory lip.

Baxter0808

Wont be doing any tubing or heavy loads within the boat. Weight factors will stay fairly consistent besides fuel usage. No fishing or shallow water running. Only changes will be in the water conditions. calm and a bit of chop is inevitable.