xs2003 setup ?

cdixon4950

Not new to the site but new to posting here. I have a 93 gse with a bone stock 98' 225 omc. As of now it has a bobs cone with pinned carrier, 10in hydrodynamics manual plate and a old 14x30 hoss. I'm getting alot of slip with this prop, 14 to 15 percent range. Tried going up and down on the plate with only a best of 82 @ 6200. I'm pretty new to this so any help to get these slip numbers down would be great

Thanks,
Chad

Lotus 50

A lot of records were set with Hoss props on Allys. Maybe you should talk to Hoss about that prop. Or send it to me as a paperweight.

bassracr

if it were me, i would box that prop up,and send it to dave bostic@ hoss props and make sure it s still in spec. if its not, he will bring it back the way it is supposed to be. that prop would be hard to beat "if" it is like it was when it was new. then you can concentrate on your setup and make sure your motor is running properly. in your communications with dave ,he can probably give you some pointers ,and a good baseline on your setup as well. he is very knowledgable and a great guy to deal with. good luck, have fun,be safe and enjoy your allison!

whipper

Make sure your at even with the pad with that prop. I wouldnt run that prop more than 1/4 below at the lowest. If your trim is just past nutral you should get better slip numbers at even. Whats the max rpm of your motor? Is the cone clean with no marks? Any little chips and a blunt bullet end will increase your slipage also. My guess is your to low still. To make this measurment you need a very leval boat trailer and ground. In the owners section there is a detailed instruction on how to messure your prop shaft hight.
I run lowest 1/4 below and highest even. You realy only need to be 1/4 below with trophy type props. Every other surface and semisurface will run best at even.

cdixon4950

I was thinking about what you said about the nicks on the cone and inspected my case. I found what maybe causing some turbulence. I pinned the carrier using coutersunk allen head bolts but they do not sit exactly flush. I will get some marine tex or something and get these smoothed out, sanded and painted. What do ya'll think?

TBuck2003

That will help no question but that is not where your problem lies 100% The GS or Xs is a different animal and reacts different to set up than other Allisons.You have a great propeller,just not suited perfectly for your hull weight and torque of your motor.You are going to need a min. of 14.5 in diameter if not more to peak out boats potential.Also you are going to need a prop with tail lift not bow lift considering the weight of the motor.At 14 inch diameter you will always have a high slip # and the chance of blow out due to lack of bite.And to start you may want to try an over/thru hub prop to help support the tail of the boat,if your sold on an over/hub prop must have alot of blade area and min. 14.5 diameter.Have spent quite a bit of time in a GSE if I can help let me know.Good luck and welcome!!!!

TBuck 330-425-3629

cdixon4950

Thanks for the replies, good info. What would be a specific prop I should try and do you have one?

Hydropromax

Thanks for the replies, good info. What would be a specific prop I should try and do you have one?
Call todd, he will have your boat running numbers like an allison should. No doubt. I've ran Hydromotive on my last 3 boats and they are the only way to go.

whipper

I agree also with Todd 100%.
Props like a Hydromotive Quad4 will run excellent on your combo at 1/4 below to even with the pad. I run a 26 Quad4 and she runs so smooth and fast its unreal! Best 4 blade stern lifting prop i have tried bar none.
Todd will hook you up.

cdixon4950

Got me a 28 quad 4 on the way hopefully before we leave for the altamaha memorial day weekend. So I should have some new numbers to post by next week sometime. Thanks for all the help.

Chad

RedAllison

Have spent quite a bit of time in a GSE if I can help let me know.
lol kinda like GW sayin he's spent "a lil time" inda Oval Office!!! :twisted evil

Glad you got hooked up with Todd, he can make a GS smoke like NO OTHER!!! :beer:

Just wait til you get tired of dat Slomc and buy a 2.5!!! :gasp :cool
RA

cdixon4950

Well i've ran 45 gallons of gas thru this allison this weekend and i've got to say this quad 4 is the best prop thats ever been on the boat. I don't have any accurate numbers because I left my gps at the house but the speedo showed 85 @ 6000. The speedo always seemed to be accurate with the gps but i've never checked the tach.

Setup seems to be where it needs to be so I guess its time to start building me a powerhead :big grin

whipper

:big grin Right on have fun and be safe!
Uhhh BTW you got some good slip numbers there ill bet!:big grin 80 at 6000 with a 28 is great. Ussualy 6,7,or 8 on the high side ive caculated. I dont think ive ever ran slip over 8 before. Post some pics of your Allison!
We all like pics and video,s.