XTB-21 - Anywhere in the front to mount a transducer??

DaveW

Hi all :)

Just wondering if anyone has put a shoot through hull transducer in the FRONT of an XTB-21??

I could run it off the bottom of my troller, but I tend to damage them!

Suggestions?

Dave

Blue Gray in PA

There is a small depression in the front near where the seat post goes down to the keel but I don't use it. My TM has a Transducer built into it and it works for the front deck fishfinder. I use a thru-hull one in the back under the trash bucket for the main display but it gets out of the water pretty quick too. Mounting a unit up front for your main display wouldn't work too well since the nose will be out of the water very quickly and the depth feature will be lost. My $.02

DaveW

Thanks for that :smile

The front sounder is only for use at rest - I'll get under the deck and have a look for the depression.

My rear one has the transducer in the tray under the trash can - I lose picture around 50mph or so, I guess that's when it's out of the water :cool

I'm thinking of going to a 900 series Huminbird mounted off the jackplate, and having a flasher for running around depth, mounted as far back on the pad as I can, what do you think?

TN XB-21

Would it still work if you are shooting through the bottom of the boat and then have to go through the pad "box"? Is the pad solid, or cored? Does it shoot through the pad in the current location in the XTB-21?

In the XB-21 it is located under the trash can as well ,but I don't think the pad extends that far forward.

Are you looking to read the sounder at 50 plus to get just depth ?? I am trying to understand why you need it at speeds above 50. If it is to look out for shallow water at that speed it is going to be to late to stop if the water suddenly goes to 2 feet!:relax:

DaveW

I hear you :smile

More for peace of mind than anything else. The 'wetbox' is under the trash can as below, I believe it is still over the pad just towards the front of it. I only want the front sounder for fishing.

I could split the rear transducer and run it to the front as well but it wouldn't be realistic - the depth difference from the front to back of a 21ft boat can be pretty huge.

I think I'll just end up running it off the end of the electric outboard and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

ARLIN

I notice water often collects in the front depression or whatever is the proper term. Is this water of any concern? Assume hard running, bouncing over waves, evaporation, etc. eliminates the small amount of water soon.

P.s. Have a niece in Perth. Hey send us some summer--ice here in Knoxville, Tennessee this morning.

DaveW

I haven't had a look yet but will tomorrow. If it's anything like the transducer tray in the rear it just evaporates away.

Not a bad day here - fine and clear and 28 degrees celcius (82F) :cool

Dave