XTB-21 to get a new heart...

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
My '97 225 Promax powerhead just got here this afternoon. Fresh rebuild, .015 Vertex pistons, otherwise stock. This thing even still has the warning modules and all that crap on it. Gonna send the injectors off to get flowed to make sure all is good there, throw a new set of reeds on it just because it's apart. Might as well do it all at once and hopefully not have to worry about it. Should have it on in a couple weeks. Gotta break it in, then learn to fly it! Should be a little different than the 150 :twisted evil I should have it all set by the time the WAR comes, then I'll need to try some bigger props, lol! Biggest I have is the 26 chopper. I know that prop will run 88.5gps on a GS with a 225 and stock rev limiter. Hopefully that won't be enough prop for the big numbers, but should be pretty peppy for the prop testing...I'll keep this updated as things go! Too excited!:big grin

Brian :very happy

John S

I had the same setup, and it was a lot of fun. The 225 promax is the best all around hiperf motor ever. Have fun.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just landed it on the boat tonight. Still gotta put new reeds on and hopefully injectors will be here tomorrow. After running close to 85 with the 150, not sure what to expect outta this motor. Hopefully more low/mid-range...I like flooring it at 30mph and letting her pull on up a little ways. Should be running Friday...will definitely keep y'all updated. I hope it doesn't rain too much next week...I hafta get some hours on her. May is coming up too quick! This stuff is an addiction, lol!

Brian

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
She's alive! Couple minor setbacks, but I'm gonna warm it up again on the hose in the morning, ensure everything is good to go, and go do some laps at the lake (weather permitting). Ran it for about 15 min on the hose tonight, had a couple minor water leaks, but they should be good now. It fired right up. Tomorrow's goal is to run the 6-gallon can out. It's mixed double oil. Then I'll do prolly ~32:1 for first tank in boat, and after that 40:1 and probably keep it there for a while. Not sure what I'll be eventually spinning it to, but I imagine that running >6500, 40:1 should be about right. My usual mix ends up ~45:1 because I like to add just a little extra. Somewhere in there should be good I'd imagine. Anyway, can't wait to get it wet! More to follow...

Brian

Fishforcash

Good luck, I'm very interested in how she does. I have the same combo.

What setback are you using?

aaronmt

Its looking a bit wet todayut todays supposed to be the best day for a while.He has 14" hydrodymics with skipplanner,I run a 12" version there great plates.Aaron

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, like aaron said, 14" hydrodynamics plate, I like it. Was rainy and 38* today...blah...supposed to be nice tomorrow (50 and dry), so hopefully I'll be out at the lake getting some laps in. I'd love to take it on the sound to put some real miles on it, but not the first time out ;)

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
First run was today! Ran great! Seems a little sluggish, but didn't run it hard and she's doped up on thick oil right now, so that's to be expected. Has a wierd resonance noise at ~3100-3200, but either side of that is smooth and quiet. Could that just be a transition range? I dunno. Either way I was pleased. Did about an hour of cruising between 2500-4000. This break-in stuff is boring, lol! Only found one wierd thing when I got home. All cylinders were at 135#'s, except #4 which was at 145#'s. The reason this motor was rebuilt was that #4 had gotten hot. I'm gonna get some more time on it and do another test to see where they're falling into, but I found that odd that 1 of 'em was 10#'s higher. I only cc'd on chamber on each head, and they were at 38cc's, but I didn't check the middle ones. If this stays as is, I'll take that head off and cc 'em all. Either way, she's alive and I'm happy. I'll keep it updated here.

Brian :beer: