Xtb 21???

1badss

Banned
Why did Allison quit making this fine boat? Looks to me like a very effecient single console bass boat. If I were a fisherman (more than twice a summer I would seriously prefer it to any other model Allison. Just asking........

Darth VMAX

I have always been a big fan of them too although I wish Darris would have made a Dual console version.

The design is dated. Don't get me wrong, its still a great basser (especially if you fish for fun). But the "serious" fisherman like some things the XTB doesn't offer.

1. Better rod storage capable of holding many more rods
2. Much larger front deck (for a 21' boats its very small comparibly speaking)
3. Front deck raised higher. The large "lip" makes it difficult for pitching and flipping
4. Too many seats, space that could have been used for more deck/storage

I am not a "serious" fisherman, so none of these (except only available as a SC) bother me personally. That being said, there are tournament guys that fish out of and love their XTB's.

My .02

allisonjr

I love my xtb. Its my sleeper boat for everyone that doesnt know exactly what an allison is lol. Ride is great, holeshot is great, and fishes great!

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know why they didn't keep the XTB-21 hull and build the XB-2003 platforms from that. That was an awesome hull! Rode better than my 2003 and still ran low-mid 80's with a stock 150. Heck, I bet you can even hang a 3.0L on that boat and be fine. I just have no idea why that hull didn't stick around. The layout needed some adjusting, like you guys said, but from the rubrail down it would be hard to beat.

RedAllison

We've discussed this exact question many times over there years, but like many other "why/why nots" it all boils down to Darris and for whatever reason he just decided to replace the XTB with the XB2003. (And for the record, the XB2003 is Darris' greatest seller so I guess in actuality he got that one right.) However most of us fishermen agree, "modernize" the deck/topcap of the XTB and release it with options of single or dual console, and perhaps even make it a "value line" or price it more in the normal range of the average cookie cutters... Nitro, Stratos etc... But I kinda get the impression it boils down to Darris just not wanting to pursue that market. For SURE they would sell like hotcakes, get Allison quality, performance and ride and when packaged with a 150/175 and the options list kept reasonable a person would be crazy NOT to pick that over the next competitors.

Remember also the XTB was LIGHTYEARS ahead of the competition. In the late 80s a 21ft basser was basically unheard of and many felt probably un-needed. That was still back in the days of 17.5-18.5'ers with 150 still being the max on most trails. A 21ftr laidout like the XTB was maybe more than most bassers could comprehend back then.

Build it and they will come, :very happy
RA

Last edited:

jimbob88

according to bill, they quit producing the xb2003 as well. you can still order one but that's it. 'best seller' must not be what darris is worried about.?.

silverfox

Both are great boat's.The xtb was more fun to drive at 90 plus and seemed a bit quicker.If it had a larger deck and storage lids like the 2003 I would probably still have it.My .02 cents worth.Lanny

HO

Darris has told me and several others on different occasions that he wished he hadn't stopped producing the xtb hull as it was one of his better designs for carrying a load and handling rough water.

It's a really good boat even though layout demands have changed. I wish I had one to fish out of right now...

john