XTB jackplate

motobuffy

getting ready to rerig my XTB. It will have a 2.6 yamaha (yes, I would like a merc, but no luck selling the hammer). After compiling a list from the XTB owners page, the most popular by far is a 10 inch setback. Of course, the motor of choice there is a 2.5 merc, a considerably lighter unit. I have at my disposal an 8" manual and a 12" hydraulic that I could drill and shorten to 10". would like to hear opinions and really be appreciative of those based on experience with XTBs and especially those who may have experience with heavier motors on XTBs. Thanks in advance.

jimmyb

i ran a 250xs (500#) and 200xs (440#) on an xtb at 10" of setback

citabriatom

I run 9.5" setback with my 2.6 on a GSE(sorry,I know you want responses from XTB owners,but I had to write since you have a Yammie).Which Yamaha do you have?

Darth VMAX

You would be suprised, a 2.6 Yammie isn't that much heavier than a 2.5 EFI Merc. Again, I am not running a XTB. I have a XB2002 Comp Pro which is quite a bit lighter than your XTB and I run a 10" CMC elc/hyd plate with my 2.6L 200 VMAX TRP.
Look at what Jimmy posted and figure your 2.6L is about 25lbs lighter than the 200xs.

motobuffy

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll start modifying my 12" to get it to around 10". we'll see how the old (1990) 200 yamy likes being further behind the boat.

Blue Gray in PA

I really like the hydraulic on my XTB which is why I use it but I'm thinking less setback might be something worth trying. Currently I'm around 11" with two combined plates and the back end sits very low at rest with a 400+# Merc 2.5 and a hydraulic JP hanging out there. Five inches less setback might make a big difference in how it sits and how it runs but the mounting bolts on my factory-installed fixed jack plate cannot be removed unless I pull the gas tank and get a wrench on the other side. Bill said he thought they were welded to a plate insde but they spin so I'm guessing that thought was added later. Let me know how yours works out but it sounds like you'll be the same as mine with the 10" setback.

BTX-21

Blue Gray, I have a 91 XTB and am currently running an ajustable 12-14in. Allison plate. At 14in. you could not cruise without the boat porpoising(excuse the spelling). Pushed it back in to 12in. Boat likes it, I can stay on plane with a smooth ride at 27mph. I'm running a 260 and a 27 pitch 4-blade Hoss Hyperdrive. About your gass tank, good luck trying to get it out. I had to take mine out not long after I bought the boat, the dealer drilled a hole in the bottom to run the speedo tube thru and of course it had a slow leak. When I took it out new it was a tight sqeese, I tried to take it out a few years ago an could not get it out without cutting it. Having gas in it all those years made the sides pooch out so it was fatter than when it was new. Hope the helps. BTX