Xtb rigging

kcoke

Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I've had my xtb for almost 5 years now with a blown up omc. Just now able to put a merc on it. Bought a 99 225 promax with a torquemaster the other day. Just wanting to know what all i needed to rig it up. Mercury's website is terrible to find exact parts. My local dealer wasn't much help either. Need to know what flush mont control to use, any special connectors, shift/throttle cables(if I need 1 or 2, what length). Also, what are some of the prop suggestions. Thinking a 30 chopper ll. I have a 28 trophy for now. Sorry for the long question, any info would be great. I've been reading on here for a couple of years. You all a awesome. I've learned alot, but not much about switching from omc to merc. Thanks for the help

BTW, the motor hasn't arrived yet, and the boat is 150 miles away at the lake. Need to get everything now so that I can put it on when I go

F2008

Welcome.

Probably most important would be the need to find a Merc wiring harness.

Does the boat have a foot throttle? If not I'd install one. If it already has one all you really need is a simple shifter and then I'd give some thought to installing a simple aftermarket shifter and a universal teleflex 33c shift cable. Unless you can find a used one a brand specific throttle / shifter can get expensive. With a universal shifter and cable you need only change the cable end if you decide to change motor brand.

Bunch of guys here familiar with the XTB, they should be able to recommend some prop choices. I don't believe the 28 Trophy is going to be on the most desireable list.

The 225 ProMax should push it along at a pretty good clip so it's going to need to be coned with a low water pick up.

Last edited:

Tim Bostic

Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I've had my xtb for almost 5 years now with a blown up omc. Just now able to put a merc on it. Bought a 99 225 promax with a torquemaster the other day. Just wanting to know what all i needed to rig it up. Mercury's website is terrible to find exact parts. My local dealer wasn't much help either. Need to know what flush mont control to use, any special connectors, shift/throttle cables(if I need 1 or 2, what length). Also, what are some of the prop suggestions. Thinking a 30 chopper ll. I have a 28 trophy for now. Sorry for the long question, any info would be great. I've been reading on here for a couple of years. You all a awesome. I've learned alot, but not much about switching from omc to merc. Thanks for the help

BTW, the motor hasn't arrived yet, and the boat is 150 miles away at the lake. Need to get everything now so that I can put it on when I go
Hello kcoke,
Welcome to AllisonOwners forum.
Lots of good people here and very helpful indeed.
We put a '99 225 ProMax on our 1987 XTB21. It has the flush mount shifter.... I don't have a part number for you? Sorry. You'll need the main engine harness and a shift cable & I'd recommend a foot throttle with the correct length cable. The cables for your OMC will not work, but you can use them to get the right length.
I'd also recommend installing a low water pickup on your lower unit.... You'll need it to keep from having blow-out problems and handling issues. You should be running in the high 80's to low 90's loaded for fishing with the right setup & prop. Our 225PM seems to be a very strong engine, but everyone I've talked too that has one says the same thing!!!!
You'll also need to look at the steering kit and see if you can use some of the stuff from the OMC.... not sure???

Where are you located? Might get some "hands-on" help from someone close????

kcoke

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Louisville, KY. I am going to send the lower unit to bob's for a nose cone. It would like to have as many parts here as possible to get the motor going as soon as I get it, so if there is an issue with the motor I can have to guy I bought it from take care of it. He said the compression was 125-127 on all cylinders, but I'm going to do a leak down test on it as soon as it arrives. He is supplying the oil tank and mount, ignition, tach, and wiring harness. Thanks again

Last edited:

mtolley

does the boat currently have a flush mount control? or a control box bolted to the side? most any merc control box or flush mount will work. if you use a flush nount use one with a bent handle. personally,id ditch the oil injection, your wallet will thank you and your promax will live forever with basic maintenance.there is alot of setup info on this site for xtb's. listen to tim, and you cant go wrong!

kcoke

It does have a side mount control box, but it's an omc box. Not a flush mount. I've been thinking about premixing the oil anyway. I do it with the other boat, and don't have to worry about it.