XTB21 Seat Questions

Kmack

Was talking to Bill at Allison today about ordering new seats for my '88 XTB project boat.

Bill asked if I wanted the low bucket as was standard on that boat or the new style bucket for $20 more. Can someone explain the differences?

I am also planning to buy 3 of the fold down fishing seats but he suggested that I will probably have to build some kind of adapter to be able to use them as rear seats on the ledge in front of the live-well. Has anyone installed the newer seats in an older model XTB21 who has some insight as to what this adapter needs to be?

Thanks

Kevin

GotMyAlly

The low-back buckets are what some call fat boy seats. LOL.

JMHO.....if it was me, I'd call Fibertech in AL, or look up Nick Granger on Facebook. Either can mold you a nearly identical seat, even do Carbon Fiber if you wish. The Allison covers will fit them perfectly.

Kmack

The low-back buckets are what some call fat boy seats. LOL.

JMHO.....if it was me, I'd call Fibertech in AL, or look up Nick Granger on Facebook. Either can mold you a nearly identical seat, even do Carbon Fiber if you wish. The Allison covers will fit them perfectly.
Do you think these options are a better seat, less expensive, or both?

I have had good luck dealing with Allison and I appreciate the fact that they are still willing to provide parts for older configurations.

I would pay a little more to show my appreciation but there is a point where I would decide it's too much.

I have never felt like anything from Allison was lacking quality.

GotMyAlly

I think the quality is similar, but the price is cheaper if you go with a fiberglass seat. Obviously the cost will be higher with the carbon fiber is a higher quality raw material, so you might actually spend more if you went that route.....but I believe that is an option that Allison does not offer.

Mrbuck50

I went with the low backs. They are correct for that year. Not to say you couldn't do the taller ones, they will just look a little out of place I think. As for the folding seats, all you need are the offset pin bases. I am surprised Bill didnt try to sell them to you. Find them online or I have also seen them at BP Shops. I am going to use the new style folding seats with my offset pins. They are just a little nicer looking seat.

Kmack

K
I went with the low backs. They are correct for that year. Not to say you couldn't do the taller ones, they will just look a little out of place I think. As for the folding seats, all you need are the offset pin bases. I am surprised Bill didnt try to sell them to you. Find them online or I have also seen them at BP Shops. I am going to use the new style folding seats with my offset pins. They are just a little nicer looking seat.
I assume the new folders are deeper front to back so the pin sits farther back. I wonder how it balances for fishing.

Kmack

I went ahead and ordered a high back bucket and 3 folders. Also ordered all the decals. I'm thinking of pulling the plates out of the boat and either moving the bushings or fabricating new. I don't want to mess with each seat having to go to a certain location.

Kmack

I need a little clarification about the folding seats. Did you merely install an offset base/bushing in the recessed area with the bushing offset outboard? Bill was trying to convince me I need to move the pin both sideways and either forward or aft.

I'd like to go ahead and order the offset bases online and install them before replacing carpet. I'm not sure when I'll get the seats.

Mrbuck50

I have original XTB folders. I do know they are offset both ways. I also inquired about the new folders and Bill told me the same.....they must be offset both ways. Bill won't steer you wrong.

Kmack

Thanks... I ordered a pair of the stainless offset base mounts. With the bushing to one end, I figure I can move the bushing to the other side of center wherever it needs to be.