Yamaha TRP setup any advice please

propdr

I just got a 1998 Yamaha Vmax TRP engine. About to hang it on my 1987 2002XB comp pro. Been working on this boat for 3 years and hope to run it this season. Any setup advice would be helpful. As far as I know there is only one guy that has this set up.
Thanks for any help

Darth VMAX

Nope, your not the only one...I have an XB2002 Comp Pro with a 200 VMAX with the TRP lower-unit.

I will be honest with you up front. You will never get the speed potential and the best possible handeling until you mod the lower-unit.

The stock water intakes even though they are low....are not low-enough. I had mine modded and had the intakes moved to the bottom of the bullet (like a Sport Master). I also had that enormous skeg cut down. You will find in stock form the boat will be more of handful to drive and you will be leaving speed on the table. The nice thing about the TRP's is they are super effecient (very low slip) and there is no torque from the props. They do NOT lose bite no matter the conditions. The TRP's are slower than a traditional lower-unit, but the handle so sweet when you get them set-up right.

some bad points. The gearcase diameter is pretty small and has a lot of workings packed into it. When you run them high they can heat up so I would not make super long runs with the motor jacked to the moon. You are also stuck with the TRP props and the highest pitch made are 27's (even though I was told by Yamaha they are closer to 29's...don't know if they are or not).

they are cool and I like having them. But there are trade-offs.

propdr

Nice! Thanks for the info. Im a prop guy and this is only the second TRP I have ever seen. I made some mods on the props (mainly adding a cup to both props to see what it would do) for the other guy and he picked up 8 MPH. We are taling about a run of the mill Skeeter though. I think he was doing around 68 ish. Not bad on a 18 ft heavy boat.
I got a set of 25s for it and going to give them a shot to start. I was also told you can put a regular Vmax lower unit on it, but not so sure thats true due to the shorter mid section the TRP has. Have you heard anthing about that?
Sadly I have had this boat for almost 3 years and this will be its first run for me, so more of a handfull won't be much fun. :(
Thanks for the info Ill try to get this set up soon . And go for a trial run.

Darth VMAX

Yes, you should be able to run a standard gearcase. I believe the 2.5" shorter length actually all comes from the L/U. I have thought about adding cup to mine but wasn't sure what it would do...these dang prop sets are friggin expensive and I didn't want to be the guinne pig.

here are some pics of my modded lower and a shot of it when it was stock (this shows how much of the skeg I cut down):

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=11263

Last edited: