Cavitation Plate Adapter

Tunabote

On a XB2002 I have noticed some guys have installed these cavitation plate adapters that mostly widen the plate. Why is this and where could I get one?

Thanks,

Bote

Butch Leslie

This plate is called an Allison Foil. It helps in hole shot and keeps you on plane at a slower speed, and also helps with backwash over the transome when you come off of plane. Allison sells them, but you may be able to get a better price from someone on this board. Butch Leslie

lundy02

I have one on a XB2002 i only use it for drag racing and pulling up skiers it makes the boat handle funny . it goes side to side and will not pop over the waves when it is on . it does work good for drag racing it keeps the front down and you can out with a little more trim.

B

BP

Ran one on my xb-03 and xb-02 and as previously stated by others...It will allow you to stay on plane at lower speeds and enhance holeshot. I did notice a difference.The downside? Supposedly you lose a little top end with the plate (it was unverifiable to me, excepting my first experience, see post below) and it's addition adds to the overall removal time of the lower unit.
There are a few people making them, the Allison style plate can be found at Reynolds racing Marine w/ a photo. Reynolds calls it an E.T. tail.
http://www.reynoldsracingmarine.com/rrstoref2.htm

Whichever plate you run (or if you make your own), you want to be sure it doesn't extend beyond the gearcases original cav. plate when mounted.
I have an Ally/ET plate I am selling, if you are interested.
I now have Titus modified lower that incorporates the foil into it's design so I no longer need it.

Tunabote

Thanks Lundy02 & BP. I'm actually working with Glenn right now and just wanted some feedback.

Goin to pick up my XB02 next week and try to make it back in time for the West Coast War. :D :shock: :twisted:

jaybluez

BP, why do you not want the ally foil to extend beyond the original cavitation plate...if you don't mind me askin?

whipper

foil

The foil on the 225 4 stoke isnt an ally foil is it. It looks like a weld on sweet looking clean. If one went to a foil is smaller better for Allisons?

J

John Richied

I own and run a Mike Rays style foil… I have both his styles and they work great.

Here is a picture of his older style. I think what’s important to gain all around performance is to mount the foil far enough forward so the water off the prop is not hitting the foil when you are wide open.

Forkin' Crazy

I have an Allison plate on my XB2002 and haven't noticed any ill handling characteristics. Of course it won't run but a bit over 90.... :oops:

One of my mentors told me to make one that is bigger, and just for the quarter, to extend it past the cavitation plate. I asked him about topend decrease, and he said, "experiment, grass hoppa". 8)

So I got some .090 and have access to a break and a shear. We shall see. :D

BP, you got any pics of that Titus gear case that you are willing to share?

B

BP

Yep tunabote thats what I have. I did not deal direct w/Titus, but purchased from Randy @GPI.
To qualify what I said earlier about not having the plate rearward of the original cav. plate...I initially installed the Ally plate on a Tooter moddified 200 case. The Ally foil wouldn't mount all the way forward because of the external water pipe that was unique to that case. I just bolted it up as far forward as it would go and didn't think it would matter because it's out of the water @speed. I lost a few MPH off the top end on the same day.
I subsequently notched the plate so it would mount even w/the cav plate and all was well again in hydrodynamicland :roll: . So my experience w/that is first hand, but it's not to say having it further back may result in better holeshot, just maybe at the expense of top end. What the hell, I have a bassboat that does over hundred, it's splitting hairs at this point.
Other than that experience, the only other thing I know about hydro dynamics is...a wet t-shirt clings nicely to a womans chest :lol:
Here is a pic to help illustrate my point

B

BP

Forkin, this what I got.If you need a different view, let me know.

jaybluez

Thanks for the explanation BP. I had no idea that could affect top speed. The reason I asked is b/c when I bought my boat it had (still does) a homemade foil and its got a tail along w/ the wings. It does extend well past the original cavitation plate (approx 5"). Maybe datz why I can only get da speed I'm gettin right now. Time to chop chop sum metal!