What trolling motor on XB2002

Barefoot Bob

I would like to install a 12v trolling motor on my XB2002. Just wondering what one would be the best to put on that has a nice clean removal system and what length.

Thanks, Bob

Darth VMAX

I like the Minn Kota Edge 55 lb thrust. I don't have one yet but thats what I plan on getting for my XB02. I like the Edge due to 12v and it looks good. Lays nice and flat instead of cocked at an angel when stowed. 55 lb thrust should be PLENTY for an XB2002 (unless you are fightng a stiff wind/current). I like Minn Kota due to the flexible shaft. I HATE the steel Motor Guide shaft!

GotMyAlly

I like the MinnKota puck-style quick removal bracket. It will work with most any of the popular trolling motors.

mtolley

I like the Minn Kota Edge 55 lb thrust. I don't have one yet but thats what I plan on getting for my XB02. I like the Edge due to 12v and it looks good. Lays nice and flat instead of cocked at an angel when stowed. 55 lb thrust should be PLENTY for an XB2002 (unless you are fightng a stiff wind/current). I like Minn Kota due to the flexible shaft. I HATE the steel Motor Guide shaft!
thats the motor i run on mine. has plenty of power even with some current. and yes does lay nice and flat! anyone know which quick release mount i need? will be near basspro for the next week and would like to pick one up. thanks! mike t

mtolley

good luck finding a new omc troller,when ya do it will be pricey. sometimes you can find decent ones on ebay or on some of the sites, but still pricey. the mk edge 55 lays FLAT, and has plenty of nuts to pull a 002 around with. mt

ally2dextreme

i like my motor guide 54 lbs thrust with quick disconect..got both from bass pro..minn kotas are heavy had 1 didnt like it

Barefoot Bob

Thanks guys. I had an OMC 12/24v on my Baja Fish & Ski and loved how small it was. I accually had purchased a used 12v OMC for $85.00 from my local dealer when he sold out but the shaft was to long. He wouldnt take it back and told me to sell it on Ebay. I more than doubled my money.
One thing I like about Minkota is they are built 30 miles from my house in Mankato MN. Next question is what length do I need, I dont want one to long. I really like the remote control feature where you can mount it right on your fishing rod.

John......J dont fish...LOL. And I have to make good use of the new G Loomis rod I just purchased

RedAllison

I LOVE my Maxxum Pro (80#) but it's alot more than needed on a 02. The last 3 bassboats I had including my 03 had 24v OMCs and if theyda made a 80+#er 24V I'da found one for my 21 lastyear. I love them tough old motors and that bent shaft is da cats ace in grass.

Check with Brack he had a couple for sale recently. I bought a 24V from him for my deckboat. It's like new but still layin inda floor of my garage, gotta settle ona quick mount for it.

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=4883

:beer:
RA

John S

Bob, Ive got a 47lb 42" Minn Kota all terrain, which is the same as the edge I think. It works fine for what I do, lasts all day no problem as long as I dont run into the wind all day. As far as mounting, I like the way mine is, with the carriage bolts, some dont like that way, but I think its clean. Havent you seen mine? I guess I did a good job.lol

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Those old OMCs were tough but their electronics can't compete with todays MG's or MK's. The old OMCs were battery hogs in comparison.

I've got a MG on my boat, but only because it came with the boat and was pretty much brand new. The mount was on the boat, but the motor had never been put in the mount when i got it. If my boat hadn't came with an MG, I would have put an MK on it. I have an MK on my Xpress and it is hands down the better motor. I've had several of each and when comparing apples to apples the MKs are stronger and quieter. And they have better mounts. The MG mounts are cheap and every one i've had made noises. With that said, I've had a lot better luck with this MG than the last one I had. The one on my last boat ate about 1 steering gear per year. And I could always count on it munching on that gear on a tournament morning about 9AM with 4 nice fish in the livewell.

GotMyAlly

This is the MK removeable mount. It does raise the TM up a little though, the thickness of the plate (about 3/4").

Barefoot Bob

Thanks guys for all the help. Now lets see all of you here at the boating event in two weeks. We can have a special trolling motor race through an obstical course

Scott in MN

Bob, that little remote thing is not as handy as you think...
I learned to hate mine everytime I had to stop casting to adjust the trolling motor while the other guy pulled a nice bass out of where you would have casted....
I just use the foot control now....

Speedman

I just put a 36 volt 107 lb thrust on my 02! It puts the boat on plane! and if you start it while pointing left or right, it will throw you in the water!