100 LL Av Gas

Blob-head

Anyone mixing or running straight Av Gas in their tank. I've tried it long
ago at 100%, seemed stronger with a more racier sound, but that's
subjective. Av Gas is more designed around 2700-3000 RPM flying at
8000-10000 feet, compared to Race Gas at 6000- 10,000 RPM on earth.
97 GS, 05 2.5 280HP all stock.

Dave Hensley

I am not an expert on av gas but have been told it is a "drier" type fuel, guessing that means additives to keep carbs from icing. I use it mixed with 93 pump gas 50-50 with 32:1 Klotz. I usually throw in a couple of ounces of Benoil too. Been wanting to try Aces but just haven't ordered any.

Rusrog

If you have the compression to NEED the extra octane then sure... It runs great and won't harm anything. Its not going to make the power that race gas will but it formulated for a different purpose. If you don't have the extra compression to need it though... It won't do you any good performance wise.

Dave Hensley

If you have the compression to NEED the extra octane then sure... It runs great and won't harm anything. Its not going to make the power that race gas will but it formulated for a different purpose. If you don't have the extra compression to need it though... It won't do you any good performance wise.
Any outboard I have that pumps over 150 psi gets it. If I can't get race fuel.

RBT

Av has a chemical additive to help it with oil control. The name escapes me, but no matter the quantity of oil it won't change the dry factor. It is designed for a low rpm air cooled four stroke that CANT have a fowled spark plug.
It is a very stable fuel, and before real race gas became readily available it was the go to for motors requiring just that little bit more.

RBT

Yes,
But ethanol free marina 87 up here is also fine assuming it is stock head. I put thousands of gallons of marina 87 through stock 260's and never had a problem. It wasn't just me, the usual suspects where I am all did the same. Only one motor was ever lost, it was to water.
If you do want to mix, 10% will be plenty.

Flame suit on.

Lotus 50

Its easy for me to run further than my fuel tank will take me, either on Lake Simcoe or north through the Trent. I thought the Promax needed 91 octane. Lake gas 87 is at least ethanol free.

Flame suit on? Wouldn't av gas be harder to ignite than regular gas?

RBT

I don't know for sure that they required 91, that is probable. If you had it on a 3000 pound boat I would be running 91, but your ss and your driving don't really strain the motor much. If you feel the need, take 5 gallons of av with you for those days that you are buying marina gas and cut it 10-20%.

TBuck2003

Just run Aces with 91 or 93 and you will have no worries... 1 oz/ 6 gallons and your fuel worries are over. Battles Ethanol also up to E-15. It is NOT an Octane booster and is not a drying agent, and will not effect lubricity. It helps with lubricity. Call me if you need more info.

michael j giesler

I think three years on av 100 i know when you clean a carburetor on the old sno-twisters if they only sat for a couple of years there was no varnish good stuff but like RBT said it is a dry fuel and some oil doesn't mix well with it

RBT

Av is guaranteed for 2 years, given proper storage...sealed, dark container.

The "dry" aspect of avgas is over-exaggerated in a 2 stroke engine.

I make fuel for a living. Avgas is the most spec-controlled fuel produced, including race gas.
It isn't over-exaggerated in a nic motor. Agreed on a steel motor. Merc used or spec it up till the 80's on race motors.

gmorgan

This is dated info coming from me, so please keep that in mind. I had a bass boat about 20 years ago that would show 102 MPH on a Medallion speedo on racing fuel. I made a pass at that speed, and all of a sudden I had company, and the guy wants to run. I tell him I'm low on fuel, can he wait until I put in five gallons. He says okay. All I had in the truck was five gallons of AV gas. I put it in, go race the guy top end, and he barely pulls away from me and all my speedo showed was 98 MPH. I blamed the fuel for slowing me down, and I believe it did. It was a carbureted OMC. Probably could have jetted it for that fuel and gotten the speed back up, but it must have fattened the air/fuel mixture up.