11-25 Pickwick

Ocktane

Took Morgan to Pickwick so she could see the lake today. Caught my first biggun in the XB (4lbs, 1 oz)!

I love the pull of a pig smallie! Had quite the adventure out there. After we fished awhile I couldn't get the motor to fire. Found the port side temp sender hanging out of the head. Luckily the bolt and plate fell in the cowl pan and I had some tools in the boat.

I need to check EVERY bolt on the powerhead before I hit the water again. I did run the boat with the prop an inch below the pad and she cruised great! Night and Day from runnin' even. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Ocktane

I caught a few sunfish on a dropshot, and then a small white bass. Lost a good feelin' fish on the dropshot right before catching the pictured smallie with a Hot-Lips Xpress deep diver. Had a lot of bites that i missed on the dropshot that were also probably sunfish. Long story short that was the only smallmouth so either the cold front did shut them down, or I just don't know the lake yet (prolly the latter...definitely the latter!)

GotMyAlly

What area of the lake were you fishing? Yellow creek?

If you can catch 'em on the dropshot, you'll have to teach me that trick....I ain't figured that one out yet.

Ocktane

Yeah, Yellow Creek. I can definitely teach ya the dropshot. I dunno if its the best method on Pickwick but its a method I've grown real comfortable with over the past year and a half fishin' for smallies in deep cool water, especially in late fall - winter.

MWest77

I caught a largemouth on my A-rig. Then I lost my A-rig when I backlashed my reel all to heck! Caught the spotted and smallmouth on a dag burn minner!

suicidealli

The drop shot has been popular around here for years.. I havent figured that one out either. I have seen it rigged so many different ways. One sinker, 2 sinkers, with beads, rattles. 5" to 3' of line. Grubs, worms, tubes, etc.

Roy

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

I threw the drop shot some earlier in the year. Only caught a couple on it, but the A-Rig and deep cranks seemed to out-produce it for me. Impatience may have been part of the issue......

Ocktane

Yeah its ULTRA-finesse. It is definitely a method that takes a little getting used to, otherwise you'll never have confidence in it. Also getting use to the hookset is weird. You don't wanna "cross their eyes", just lift and reel, otherwise you'll rip that tiny hook right out. I found the key is light, stretch free line, enough weight to keep it planted on the bottom, small sharp hook, good bait, and above all PATIENCE. Once I got used to the dropshot it was hard to take it out of my hand, especially during the spawn!

suicidealli

I have the patience... If your on fish, or have confidence that they are there.... You not going to cover water like other lures, so you better be on fish. Lol

Nothing worse than fishing water with no fish around... If I can find them, I will catch them...... Fishing lakes are easier, than rivers where I'm at.. The river goes up, and down like crazy, and the current changes all day.... I have to drive 190 miles to my lake fishing...
I'm going to try The drop shop some more...

Roy

The Cashew Kid

My drop shot rig...... Braid for main line with 6 or 8 lb floro leader. I like the cylinder type weights, 3/16 is mostly what I use. #1 Gammy drop shot hook. just lift and reel like Nick said, don't try to cross their eyes on the hookset. I just nose hook a 6 inch Roboworm.

GotMyAlly

Are y'all fishing it vertically or casting it? I tried fishing it vertically....looked better that way to me, but caught the few fish that I caught on the rig when I casted it.

Ocktane

I mainly fish it vertical, you feel the bites better and have greater control and better chance of hooking up. But that being said I do cast it often, just not very far. A lot of the times when I cast it I'll slowly troll to it while its falling and then stop close to it. that way it has a little bit of soak time. It is a better rig fished vertical though. Jeff nailed it with setup. I use 10# powerpro mainline and tie a generous 6/8# flouro leader with a #1 gammy dropshot hook or octopus hook. The cylinder weights do hang up less but I'm used to using the ball style dropshot weights. Roy is right though, if you ain't on fish, you are gonna sit there and wave your "fairy wand" for hours with no results! lol

Ocktane

My favorite dropshot baits are Panic Minnows, Sniper Lures (snubs and bolts), and Gulp Alive minnows. I dunno if Panic Minnows and sniper lures are sold down here though, I think they were a Pac Northwest thing. You can still order em on tacklewarehouse.com though. I also have had success with Zoom trick worms for largemouth, caught my PB on a dropshotted trick worm in fact.