1990 bass racer redo

bassracr

thanks again for the compliments , i have alot of changes in mind and hope i can get it all together this year to have it looking and running better than it did when i first bought it many ,many years ago. I'm excited about it, but know i have ALOT of work to do to make it the way i want it. I hope to make it to the rally pretty much finished look'n old school cool with some new technology where needed and bad arse! this boat really has alot of sentimental value to me, and has some allison history behind it, as it was a test mule.. and Darris's personal boat used to test 90 hp. motors when the boat was new, reaching close to 65 mph. with a stock 90 h.p engine . I'm just trying to be a good steward for the old girl,and make it the best i can . at the rally last year Darris remembered the boat, and while floating close by in the river he was looking at it, and commented "man that thing still looks really slick looking down the sides of it" now THAT made me feel pretty good :)

Last edited:

rmills280

that was my first ride in an ally. rode along side of it many times before i bought one, so i guess thats where it all stated. :laughing

bassracr

that was my first ride in an ally. rode along side of it many times before i bought one, so i guess thats where it all stated. :laughing
ran alongside, and sometimes in front of...you must have logged about as many high speed passes in one of them "little" bullets as anyone on the planet. learning to drive an allison for you, was probably a piece of cake :big grin

v8astrovan

looks sweet hope mine comes out half as nice... hope you dont mine but im doing close to the same color combo just decided to go light gray instead of white also no carpet

Alli-drenaline Rush

Took a look at this boat and thought - man, is this guy a few fries short of a happy meal????? Selling that jewel? Where's the price? Where's the price...... then I realize that I'm the one who's a few fries short of a happy meal..... I had clicked on "new posts" and it took me to the "restoration" page, and not the "for sale" page...... I guess one can still dream!

bassracr

Re: 1990 bass racer redo....continued..

A few more changes i have made over the summer. i removed the pro max and replaced it with a 1996 2.5 virgin 260 that was 3 hrs. from new. i know it sounds crazy but thats what i have on the boat now. I have popped a few motors in the past so i wanted to do what i could to feel this motor wouldnt have any fuel issues, Marty really got me thinkin about all this when he cleaned his tank out. so i pulled my tank out and wanted to start there. the pick-up was i think 1/2 od. alum. tube that had a rubber hose on it and a screen filter jammed in the end of it with a brass fitting at the top with a hard 90 deg angle at the top.

I made a hard copper .625 o.d 1/2 i.d pick up tube and made a return tube with a slight bend that would spray the return fuel on the other side of the internal tank baffle to eliminate possible bubbles from the return spray right next to the fuel pickup.

u can see the difference in the diameters here..the stock pickup would slide inside the new one

at the top of the tank I used a soft 90 bend fittings and 1/2 in push loc fuel lines

I got a water seperating filter with the large 1/2 in. fittings from diamond marine replacing the merc filter with the small fittings

bassracr

here is a couple pictures of the motor..it like its been in a time capsule since 1996 ..its crazy

BigRedAlli

That boat just gets better with age. Nice work!!! :cool

I knew you would have a hi-po motor on their again...:big grin

bassracr

i bought a used jack plate and holeshot plate and modified it for my boat. had it all powdercoated and used all new hardware..i also used 4 soccer balls inside the plate to add flotation to the back ..it all works great

i had a metal fabrication shop bend up some aluminum and cap off the top of my jackplate

bassracr

couple more

Im not done yet...still much to do !!

I can say it is nicer than it was when i bought it about 15 yrs. ago but i have quite a few changes planned

alc

What does the H.P. rating tag on the starbord side by the hot foot say on this boat?

alc

Yea right. If it is a bass racer, it is a yellow tag that says that it is designed for raceing and should be driven by experanced drivers only just like the drag boats do. Darris was always very saftey concerned with the light weight boats he built. And also for insurance purposes. He did not put recomended manufactures H.P. ratings on the bass racers.

bassracr

Yea right. If it is a bass racer, it is a yellow tag that says that it is designed for raceing and should be driven by experanced drivers only just like the drag boats do. Darris was always very saftey concerned with the light weight boats he built. And also for insurance purposes. He did not put recomended manufactures H.P. ratings on the bass racers.
it never had a sticker there when i bought it over 15 yrs. ago. darris and nancy gave me some history on the boat as darris used it for some time to test 90 hp. engines and confirmed its a bass racer..thats good enuff for me

Bobalouie

Mines not a bass racer, but it is in the same weight class at 689#s as weighed by Allison, and it doesnt have a professional drivers only sticker. It has the dual "not rated by coast guard" and "mfg reccomended hp" sticker on it.

allison86

I know this thread is a little aged but so is the paint on my boat so it's worth a shot! I own a 2000 gse xs2003 & I was wondering if u would have the paint code for petty blue; the color on the sides of your boat is the dominant color on my boat! Thanks and have an emAculant rig too