1997 Bassracer XB2002

bassracer

1987 Bassracer XB2002

I am selling my 1987 - 750 lb bassracer with allison trailer and minnkota autopilot but without motor and guages. It's a beautiful black boat. Because it is a racer and was restored by Darius I would like to get 8K. You won't want the johnson motor anyway. You can see the boat on my website www.allisonbassboat.com . The boat had a new aluminum transom, and pad refurbished etc by Darius which cost 2k. Please contact me thru my website only as i am rarely on this site. The boat is located on east coast Canada about a 6hr drive from the US border Maine. THANKS

Last edited:

alc

Why would you have to put a new transon in a Allison 2002 ?On your web site you say it was a 750# when you bought it, how did you loose 50lb. on a bassracer ?

Tim Bostic

Why would you have to put a new transon in a Allison 2002 ?On your web site you say it was a 750# when you bought it, how did you loose 50lb. on a bassracer ?
Yeah, it seems a little odd to replace a transom that already had an aluminum transom?
This boat looks VERY similar to my 1987 XB2002..... the console has the flat sides to it... I think Darris changed the design to a rounded console in 1988????.... maybe he made some of the flat sided ones later???.... My boat weighed in at 805 lbs...... It has a wood transom....... I think he changed to aluminum transoms in 1989 or so?????
Some pics show the higher, competition rear fairing & some show the shorter, stock fairing?

It is a beautiful boat in the pictures!!!!

patches

I think only the first 5 boats had wood transoms. Pretty sure most got steel transoms. Bassracers got aluminum transoms

K.Kiser

The transition was 87-88... A few 87's had wood but most had metal, and all the 88's had metal... The Bassracers were aluminum I'm pretty sure, and the Comps had steel...
This one for sale may have originally been a wood'n...

bassracer

Sorry - typo - it is an 87 and the wood was replaced with an aluminum transon. Steve Heintz had it and said it was 750 lb

Tim Bostic

I think I have the 7th boat built & it has a wooden transom.....
It looks almost identical to this boat for sale.
That's why I say it's a beautiful boat !!!!

Tim Bostic

We also have a 1987 XTB21 that the guys at Allison just refurbished.....
It has a wooden transom.... did not have to do anything to the transom.
They did an EXCELLENT job bringing this boat back from the grave!!!!

Dave Hensley

If I am not mistaken the very first 2002 had a steel transom. Johnny Garner, who did all of the metal fab for Darris, had built a prototype and they put it in the first boat. The next few had wood an then they went steel inserts from then on. Except for the BR's and they were aluminum.

David Lanham

Re: 1987 Bassracer XB2002

I owned this boat for a few years back in the mid to late 1990

bigtis

I think this boat is a comp, and not a true bassracer. Every bassracer I've ever seen didn't have the grab handles in the rear corners but this bOat does.

alc

It would be interesting to know how many real Bass Racers were made total. I bought my 93 model in 95 from David Berry who @ the time owned a hi-per mod shop near Dallas. He had got it from Lynn Thorne who bought it new, for some engine building work. I checked w/ Nancy at the time and she confirmed it was a real bass racer and said they only built a few a year for three years as they were built to run in a bass boat class @ NOA drag boat orgnization that stipulitated it had to have a live weld to be considered a bass boat, which had dissbanded since then. She also said they had got a lot of flack from 2001 owners for having built a light bass boat.

Bobalouie

You cant tell by features anymore. Darris makes them any way you want them. My boat is a comp set up (grab handles, front cleats, bilge & areator pumps, full carpeting) but is bassracer weight at 690 lbs.

bigtis

You cant tell by features anymore. Darris makes them any way you want them. My boat is a comp set up (grab handles, front cleats, bilge & areator pumps, full carpeting) but is bassracer weight at 690 lbs.
You got a special one, because that boat was ordered by flying butcher, and he already had a comp boat to fish out of. Your boat was bought to drag race.

alc

They won't make them any way you want them now. The new one marketed as Fast Bass weighs around 750# with the vynal floor and deck instead of carpet. I bought one about 5 months ago no cleats, grab rails or anything extra to add any weight. boat with hyd. steering, 12" setback plate , 1 bucket seat old style tall faring new style small dash W/ no guages was right @750#. Has any one got one of the bass racers that had no live weld installed when new? Some of the old ones in the 80's were laid up light before Nancy and Darris became afraid of law suits from inexperanced operators. I see a lot of folks that say theirs is less than 700#, but if most of them brought them to a race and put them on thr scales they would be suprised.

Bobalouie

You got a special one, because that boat was ordered by flying butcher, and he already had a comp boat to fish out of. Your boat was bought to drag race.
Yea, I know mine was a special order for racing, but it has all the features of a comp and then some. With all the confirmed comps out there that have the interior lights, and cleats on the front, it kind of seems like they would put what ever you wanted on them. If Darris will build my hull, with all the stuff it has, but shouldnt, it stands to reason that he would put other things on other hulls if people wanted. According to the flying buthcher, mine is also the first center steer with a factory installed side slide seat. He said that Darris hadnt done it before, and he talked him into it so he could slide the seat to balance the boat rather than adding shot bags (and their associated weight) to balance the boat.

They won't make them any way you want them now. The new one marketed as Fast Bass weighs around 750# with the vynal floor and deck instead of carpet. I bought one about 5 months ago no cleats, grab rails or anything extra to add any weight. boat with hyd. steering, 12" setback plate , 1 bucket seat old style tall faring new style small dash W/ no guages was right @750#. Has any one got one of the bass racers that had no live weld installed when new? Some of the old ones in the 80's were laid up light before Nancy and Darris became afraid of law suits from inexperanced operators. I see a lot of folks that say theirs is less than 700#, but if most of them brought them to a race and put them on thr scales they would be suprised.
Mine is a special order light layup, like big tis said, specifically for racing. Allison told Flying Butcher that it weighed 689 lbs when they finished building it for him.

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

I've got a 1994 that I bought from Mr. Conklin. No live well, no carpet in rod lockers and very, very light lay up. Have not checked Bill on build sheet numbers yet but suspect well south 750#.