2003 XB w/ Yamaha 150

badbait

George, what are you running for setback? You may find that you need to come in farther than you think. The 2003 doesn't work well with the heavy motors and a lot of setback. Sounds like your going to have a nice quite reliable ride.

LAAllison

Off Shore engines

Here we are about to celebrate Anerica's 230th birthday and the foreign engine guys are all over the place.
I'll spend this holiday with The American flag on the ski tower of my GS and be confident that my 9 year old ProMax will continue to be a great engine and I'll speak bad of every anti American boater I see.

Art

Roll Tide

J

John Richied

That’s one of many things that makes it so great to live in America… the freedom to choose.

If having parts on your boat that are not made and or assembled in America make you an “anti American boater” you might want to check some of the electrical parts and so forth on your Merc ProMax.

hack02

Lundys Yamaha 300 powered 03 was a sweet ride. Purred like a kitten and ran mid 90's during break-in with very little setup time.

dspencer

Bass and Walleye boats new issue had a comparison of a 250 Suzuki, Yamaha, and Mercury 4 stroke adding the Mercury 250xs. They didn't have the Yamaha 2 stroke because it wasn't available in 25 inch mid.

The Mercury led in each of the performance categories. The Suzuki and Yamaha did have better mpg in the mid range and the Yamaha was best at WOT. All the motors were within 1000 dollars of each other. It was worst in noise and pollution. It is not comparable to all 4 vs 2 strokes in every situation but has been the normal for what I have been reading. They also tested these motors on a 2100 lb Ranger 620 multispecies boat. In a lighter boat the 2 stroke would probably have won by more in the performance areas, at least I think it would have.

The 4 strokes are here to stay and they are somewhat new but I don't think they will ever perform up to the level of the best 2 strokes. In a few years we will know more about their longevity.

fastguy

Well alrighty then, Mercury went to the Germans to develop the Verado, and Evenrude-Johnson is owned by a Canadian company with French ties.
Go to your local Mercury dealer, walk the parts shelves and look at the little plastic bags, have some one read them for you and see where the contents were produced.
Sorry for the rant but don't wave my flag at me.
The last I looked it was a free country, and yes I know why it is free. I don't think it was the Porsche engineers or the French that made it that way either.

George

fastguy

Froggy thanks for the advice on the props, I only have 9 hours on it so it will be a while before I get after it too hard.
Darth I used to live in Wichita but now live in Gun Barrel City, Texas.
I use this engine and boat to fish, the best it ever ran with the Pro Max was 92.6 mph. I know that all of the Mercury motors are faster but that isn't my biggest concern, I am on the water daily and live about 8 miles from the prime hybrid fishing area, economy and reliabilty have a higher priority with me now.
If any one is interested in this combination I will keep posting. I'm not interested my Dad kicking your Dads assss or any of the other stuff.

George

froggy

FastGuy,

Keep on posting!

This made in America rhetoric needs to be well researched before it is fact. I pull my boats with a Honda Ridgeline--Although the truck is assembled in Canada, it has more US content than my Suburban. Soon the Honda will be assembled in America while the Suburban will be assembled elsewhere.

I've been a Merc person for the last 25 years, but I'm tired of being ripped off. Price sparkplugs at your Merc dealer, then price them at an auto parts store---my dealer has to pay more, through Mercury, than I can buy the plugs for at an auto parts store. Do the same for bearings and pistons and anything else that's available from suppliers, other than Merc. How greedy they are at Brunswick. They seem to need a 400% markup to be happy. Not that the other OEM's are any better, just that I have, personally, observed what Brunswick is doing, and it disturbs me.
Perhaps some real competition will bring Brunswick back to earth---I sure hope so!

Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

froggy

Darth VMAX

Hey Art....I will have you know I am an 18 year veteren and still serve AMERICA proudly.....have spent time fighting in Afghanistan defending our FREEDOM. Just because I choose to spend my hard earned $$$ on what is in my mind a VASTLY SUPERIOR product (Yamaha) to the American product (Mercury) does NOT make me any less AMERICAN than yourself!

Before pointing out the splinter in someones eye make sure YOU pull out the 2X4 sticking out of your own. Look around your house and tell me how much is forgien made? :x Heck, I bet that little American flag you fly on your GS was made in CHINA!!!!

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY

Fastguy, I see. So was yours the red Xb03 I was talking about? sure was purty if it was 8)

LAAllison

American

There is no 2x4 sticking out of my eye. I work to be the best American I can. I choose to buy as much American as possible. If Mercury or GM or Ford out sources things I can't help that. I'm doing the best that I can. At least the policy and profits and how the money is returned to our economy is controlled by us, not someone in Asia or Europe that does not
have our best interest at heart. You hurt us when you CHOOSE to buy and promote an off shore product. I'm proud that you're serving this country and that makes it all the more difficult to understand. And yes I will continue to wave my flag from my Chevy and my Merc. And The Flag was made by an association of disabled people.

Art

Roll Tide

dspencer

This is going the wrong way but here's my 2 cents on where to buy. Wherever you want to. If its more important to you buy it. Its important to me to support the best product available.

Car example: Late 70's/early 80's. American cars were terrible quality wise. In 79 Ford recalled more cars than it produced. The offshore cars were of a better quality and at a better price. I bought. If I was the only one then America would have been stuck with lowsy cars but enough people caught on and the American car producers were forced to improve or go down the drain. They wisely chose to improve. For every decision I make the most important one to me is to support the one best for the buying public. Many times that is buying foreign built. Competition drives product quality.

George, keep posting. I am interested...and I won't be able to look out across the lake and hear your boat anymore.LOL

Darth VMAX

Good for you Art! :) And good for me :) Isn't it great to live in a country where we can excercise such freedom!!! 8)

If I see you on the water I will just plug my ears so I don't get my feelings hurt :lol: :lol: :lol:

fastguy

Well now, I certianly can understand anyone wanting to buy American and I feel the same way,however, I am not going to blindly spend my money on an inferior product.
It isn't the American worker that has caused the problem but the "Bottom Line,screw em there isn't anything else to buy" greedy bastards that run these corporations. Mercury and Evenrude-Johnson were the same as the Big Three,now there is a choice and all they can do is wave the flag and scream"Buy American" while they shop for the lowest cost supplier be it American or foriegn.
Hopefully Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki will have the same effect on the domestic assemblers as the Japanese and German car makers did.
Mercury alledgedly spent $100,000,000 for research and development for the Verado. I live on a large lake near DFW and have seen 2 of them in 3 years. Hell they might be a great product but, for the same money you can buy a Honda Civic w/ac,at, pw,pdl.

Enough

George

jaybluez

Well fastguy, if I'm not mistaken the rice burners were giving Mercury and Rudes a run for their money and worrying american marine industry. So guess wut they did, said 'Lets, uh....hmmm, well chit lets put a tax on them yammers to kinda keep the playing field even. ' I've read this somewhere but can't remember...if this is false info please correct me but as far as I know that's what has been done to keep rice burners from becoming a major pain in the butt to the american marine industry.

dspencer

Jay, it was true a few years ago. Yamaha was imposed with a 25 percent duty for dumping motors for less than they cost to produce. That has been lifted a couple years ago though.

fastguy

I'm not sure, I do remember something about dumping but not sure how far back.
I do remember every time some one would spend the time and money to develop a non-Mercury product for any racing event the rules would change. The weight would be added to the non-Mercury, of course that was in the days when Mercury sponsored some events or orginizations.
This thread would probably be kicked off of Scream and Fly.

I fished this morning, 4000 rpm=47mph 7.5 gph indicated. Cool air, flat water. I think it will help it to raise the engine an inch.

George

jaybluez

:lol: Probably would get booted.

Have you ever hooked it up and if so how fast?

Is that w/ the 25 pro series?

fastguy

66 but it was in my cove and I ran out of water, had more to go on the tach. The prop is definately too far below the pad,the 25" Pro series has a lot of stern lift,maybe too much.
I don't think there would be a hole shot with a 27",maybe have to move the battery to the bow. :roll: :roll:
I am going to make a skid plate as I think that would help.

George