2003 XB w/ Yamaha 150

jimmyb

the boost is variable... depends on atmospheric conditions and the rpm, throttle position and model... remember they have electronic blow off valves. It aint the old school turbo or supercharger that just increases boost semi-linearly until max RPMS! The verado supercharger is actually oversized to allow it to run high boost at low rpms (for acceleration) and then blows off excess boost at higher rpms where the boost isnt needed to make the rated power.

For example:
a 250 verado will run up to 14 psi in acceleration at peak torque, and taper down to 7-8 psi at WOT

now before you guys go applying the vast engine technology from the fast and furious crowd and disabling the blow off valve, remember that at high rpms making peak power, increasing boost will have consequences (higher intake temps, very high cylinder pressures, tons of knock, etc). The ricer crowd with blown car engines can get away with huge boost peaks because they dont continuously run their engines under high boost. I would love to see a riced out motor making 150+ HP/liter go on a dyno for 2-3 hours of WOT endurance. (hint, you might want to buy a couple of extra bags of kitty litter to absorb the oil in the dyno cell after the motor pops)

GPI Racing

But for short squirts with some 116 octane fuel it would be fun! I'm certain the boys in the back room have done it a few times on the Verado.

Randy

fastguy

Update

Just came back from the dock, tried to calibrate fuel usage function on the Command Link, it indicated 16.8 gallons used, it took 18 to fill it back up.
The 18 gallons covered 116 miles, that was 4 trips out, and a lot of chasing after surfacing fish.
I am really pleased with the results, I know that a Mercury would have been faster, maybe cheaper to buy, but I'm still happy with my choice.
Top speed full of fuel and 2 guys: 63.5,I have a Trophy that I'm going to try later.

George

dspencer

How does it compare to the merc on fuel? How much difference in fishing?

Have you tried to start it yet with it running? Never had that problem with your PM I'll bet.

fastguy

I tried to start it once while running,you really feel dumb when you do that.
The back of the boat does sit lower in the water so backwash is a problem,I need to move the motor closer to the transom, that will help hole-shot and backwash.
Ahhh the fuel, comparisons are difficult as I didn't have a way to check the Merc other than weekly fuel use, just a gut feeling is 40% less than in the past. Part of that is 225vs150,but another part is efficiency,while idling looking at humps and flats it uses .5 gph.
Like everyone else on this board I wish it ran faster,had a better hole-shot and looked better on the trailer.

George

dspencer

fastguy said:
I will try to get something in the next week or 2, if we don't get any rain here it will be on the trailer till we do.

George
Should have inserted month instead of week.

fastguy

Just to give you an idea of how quiet this thing is, I was returning to my dock this morning, 3,900 rpm 46mph, my phone rang and I heard it.
My middle name should be huh.
I will be on the trailer next week, a little bad bait magic is on the way.
:lol: :lol:

George