225X Limiter

LakeAnna

Quick question here: How long can you run against the limiter before it will drop power or go into a reduced ignition state or whatever? Just asking because the GS ran a little faster yesterday when I let it pull against the limiter for a few seconds.
Don't want it to drop off hard at speed for sure!

GotMyAlly

My 225X never went into guardian mode due to running against the limiter. I ran it bumping the limiter for miles. Low water pressure or temp......that will do it though.

The 250XS is another story....you've got about 30 seconds on the limiter then guardian kicks in.

LakeAnna

Good so if I understand, I can make a pass and leave it against the limiter for 3-5 seconds or even more:big grin?

I guess I could always get the limiter picked up some... Been thinking about that anyway, I really miss the R's of the 260.

Steal sleave should turn low to mid 7's without issue right? I don't make a ton of top end runs anyway usually.:laughing

fnshrmaster

Good so if I understand, I can make a pass and leave it against the limiter for 3-5 seconds or even more:big grin?

I guess I could always get the limiter picked up some... Been thinking about that anyway, I really miss the R's of the 260.

Steal sleave should turn low to mid 7's without issue right? I don't make a ton of top end runs anyway usually.:laughing
Chris, If you are bumping the limiter at 6750 maybe your choice of engine is not correct? You should look at the 260 or 280 variety offered by mother merc. Kurt

Jimxb02

I have a 225 Promax with the rev limiter removed. I also have top pinned pistons and run 40:1 premix. Today in cool weather I turned the motor to 8100 RPM with a 26" Drag3 for a short burst. For long runs I keep it under 6500 RPM. The Promax is a well designed and built motor that will run for a long time between rebuilds if you run good oil and do the maintenance. If you think you want more RPM's then change the rev limiter to 7300 RPM and run premix at 40:1 and you will still have a reliable motor.

Just my opinion .

Jim

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've known a couple 225x motors with 7300 limiters any they run like a scalded dog up there. The oil injection is fine on that motor.

aaronmt

Mine had a 7500 limter from Simon..I may have bumped it one or twice :big grin..I ran it at anywhere from 7000-7500 for over 40 miles on early morning race around Vashon island.I was told these will actually live at 8k.I personaly wouldnt doubt that the 225x is a different motor when running over 7k.....Oh and I ran Pennzoil XLF/sythetic blend

whipper

Not X but pretty much the same. My 225Promax runs 7000 to 7500 all day long for years now with no issues at all. Usually prop or trim to 7300 but have been over 7500 quite a few times also. 40-1 merc Premium Pluss. if I could get Penziol I would run that to save money. Tons of guys say its great.

I do add a splash of unmeasured, just a gulp more oil if I know Ill be running for miles on a big lake on a calm day. More oil doesn't hurt nothing. BTW my pistons are stock side pinned still. That might change next rebuild that I'm planning before summer.

i would without hesitation get your limiter bumped to at least 7500 so ya can run at least 7300 and change with a 26.:big grin Its real sweet to run 25/26/27 pitched props to 7000. Makes all the difference in the world. Ya get great holeshot and 90+. Not possible with 6750 limiter. You have to run 28 and up pitch to get over 90 at 6750 and that kills your hole shot in comparison to a 26.

FlatOutAlly

Not X but pretty much the same.
Maybe performance wise, but they're not pretty much the same in a three dimensional world. 225X WAS an Opti design. Promax WAS old school EFI. :beer:

But, alas....neither will roll out of Fond du Lac again any time soon. That they for sure have in common. :sad

fnshrmaster

Had to give Chris some sh*t. I know he has got a 280 on his mind, eek every last MPH from that GS. I will say that 225x is a fuel miser, I think that's one of the best engines Mercury every sold.

LakeAnna

I've known a couple 225x motors with 7300 limiters any they run like a scalded dog up there. The oil injection is fine on that motor.
Mine had a 7500 limter from Simon..I may have bumped it one or twice :big grin..I ran it at anywhere from 7000-7500 for over 40 miles on early morning race around Vashon island.I was told these will actually live at 8k.I personaly wouldnt doubt that the 225x is a different motor when running over 7k.....Oh and I ran Pennzoil XLF/sythetic blend
My Enginge is at 193 hours now and had good leakdown numbers/compression so maybe over the winter I will have Simon do his magic on the ecm and flywheel. I talked to them the other day and beyond just moving the limiter the fuel and timing are altered some too from what I understand. I don't plan to try and spin it like a 260 anyway. I figure if I want to make some passes in the hot summer heat/humidity the extra r's and a smaller wheel will wake things up a bit. I'm loving the way the X runs at the moment.

Kurt, I may end up with a 280 or a frankinstein 260 one of these days.:big grin I kick myself all the time now for selling all my stuff before...

Last edited:

catfish123

Unless Simon changed what he does to the box, he hadn't been modifying the fuel curve or the timing when doing a 225X. I had asked him specifically about that and he had said it wasn't necessary. That was for a change to 7300 rpm's.

LakeAnna

I'm gonna have to call again and see then... I hate it when I don't know what I'm messing with if u know what I mean.

The boat is running really good for what it is now... just want to let the motor go ahead and spin some. It feels like its going to keep pulling and... BAM pu pu against the limiter. I spoke to Debbie I think it was the other day and he is calling me back.

I may have to let it go and just put the Drag on it for fun....:big grin
It's going to run one way or the other. The X is such a nice motor I hate to fool with it. My 4 year old can start it and go.... good motor.

suicidealli

I have a 225 Promax with the rev limiter removed. I also have top pinned pistons and run 40:1 premix. Today in cool weather I turned the motor to 8100 RPM with a 26" Drag3 for a short burst. For long runs I keep it under 6500 RPM. The Promax is a well designed and built motor that will run for a long time between rebuilds if you run good oil and do the maintenance. If you think you want more RPM's then change the rev limiter to 7300 RPM and run premix at 40:1 and you will still have a reliable motor.

Just my opinion .

Jim
Over 70 years young, and running over a 100 mph...
Your the man Jim!!!!!!!

I may have to let it go and just put the Drag on it for fun....:big grin

Now your speaking my language!!!!!!lol

Roy