24 Hoss Triton VS 24 Yamaha drag

Skydog

Would the Yamaha be that much better? I have a 24 Hoss that rocks, hate to buy a Yamaha and not be much better. I mean from a dead stop to 90+ MPH

Skydog

GPI Racing

Matt,

Just ask Lou (2fast4mom) about how they compare. He tested both. He raced the Triton at W A R. The results are posted on other threads on this site. :shock:

Randy

GPI Racing

Matt,

Go to all the WAR threads that just popped up.

Randy

PS for all the broken blades the Yamaha props give me I'm sticking with the Hoss

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
The Yamaha 24 Drag is a great prop. But in my testing, the 24P Hoss was better every time because the slip does not seem to increase proportionally with rpm like the Yammie does.

Same rpms (86-8900) in the quartermile the Hoss would topend at 102-103 and could only get 99-100 with the Yamaha. This was with a superstock 260 with A48 ecu.

ALLISONMAN

the slip with the yamaha is a quicker accelrating prop that allows the motor to spool up quicker and is a better prop for drag racing than anything like slip percentages!!!! in my personal testing between a 24 yamaha, 22 et (lou owns it now), and 24 et was the 24 yamaha and 22 et mph about the same but the et carried the boat quicker through the 1/4 mile!! now came the 24et it was 2-3mph faster than the 22et but its was 2 to 3 tenths slower in elapsed time!!! the yamaha will be quicker on a lighter boat but the et will carry the weight better. you need to take your application and what you are wanting to do when you consider prop styles, rake, and pitch selections. sometimes the most efficent prop wont be the fastest and sometime the least efficent might be the fastest!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
The Yamaha 24 and the Hoss both pull hard out of the hole. In my application it seemed that the Yamaha started to slip or run out of "juice" down the track at high rpm's, whereas the Hoss kept on pulling strong!

Just an anecdote from my VERY limited experience!

J

John Richied

Randy, you might want to wait until the pictures of the W.A.R. drag race are posted before you use that for an example…LOL
I think when you see where Bill and I were at the end of the

GPI Racing

John,

Most guys are hooked on the Yamaha drag prop thing. The ET comparison is not a good one. I have lots of props better than ETs. I guarantee you on your XB2002 that if you borrowed the prop Lou had you would be quicker and faster than you were. I owned a XB2002 up until Scott Gilmore picked it up last month. Had it for 7 years..I have run about every combo of motor and prop possible. The Yamaha props are cool..but.....there is a better way. I'm not telling you this to pick on you but to help you. Ask Bill Mason. I sent him a prop and I think he was a little surprized at how much he was leaving on the table. I would gladly let you try any of my props if you are interested.

For those of you coming to the Ally 50th...we have a surprize for you. Some of the developement props Dave Bostic and I have been working on will be avalible for you to try/touch/look at or whatever. We are at generation 3 on the developement now. There also will be a new prop (never before seen) that will be there. It is made just for Allisons (so far). There should be over 10 developement props there so come on down.

John, If you can't make it the offer still stands...I'll make a believer of you yet! :)

Randy

GPI Racing

Matt ....are you sitting there reading and typing at the same time I am???

It was kind of neat to see such a fast responce.

Randy

FLYING BUTCHER

prop

Can I get an AMEN?? That damn prop Randy sent me is a monster!! When he said it would really hook up in the middle I thought hey right. Most all the props run the same in the middle. Props are quicker out of the whole or on the top end. This thing he has developed is just plain kick ass all the way around. Can't wait to see the times this weekend. Hey just ask yourself this HOW MANY GUYS (LET ALONE A BUSINESS) WOULD SEND YOU A PROP TO TRY!!! Oh by the way Randy an alien came and took the prop, no problem I will just send you the money (YOU AIN'T GETTIN IT BACK) just joshin man Guys if Randy says the water isn't wet you might want to check it before you get in THIS GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF!!

ALLISONMAN

i have got to jump here on this one and ask if these props are so quick why is just about everyone in ODBA running the yamaha drag props????? i am sure that most of those guys test stuff on a regular basis and just about everyone of them use yamaha drag props, a few et's and every now and then a worked chopper!!! i know for a fact that odba superstock yamaha has been dominating this class!!!

the only other thing I am gonna say is if you follow what everyone else does you will always be behind and that is what sets randy apart from the others!!! i have the utmost respect for randy and his testing and achievements and cant wait to bs with him over a beer and just hear personal expriences of his!!!! but believe me i will follow no one cause I want to be in front!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GPI Racing

Allison man,

Like you said, most everybody runs a yam prop in ODBA. I do know why...the blade flex lets them spool up and getting one to accelerate is easy.

I raced F1 for over 10 years. After getting my a%$ handed to me for most of that I finally got a sponsor that would foot the bill. We thought the only way to beat the established teams was to do something radical. I put a mod S3000 on a 16ft F2 boat(Burgess from England) and spent the next 6 months learning how to drive the thing. During the summer of 2000 I won every race I entered except 2. (broken prop in one and an electrical failure in the other) The boat was crap in the rough, but I could put a 1/2 lap on the field before that happened. By mid year the big teams were showing up with "little" boats and big boats, basicly covering all the bases. So much for the advantage. It was fun while it lasted..(there is a video of this boat on our web site gpiracing.com)

Anyway, why the story.....the only way to be faster is not be the same, as you said. I have not run ODBA but I have one of the 4 Triad DRX boats being built right now. The engine powering this has over 450hp. If we can figure the thing out you will see it at the late ODBA races. I'm not saying we will go out and beat Wayne Tripp and the regulars. This will take time, but you have to start somewhere. In a couple years I expect to be there, but for now we will try a s*%t load of hp and some different propeller theories to make up for the lack of driver/experience.

I have over 50 race type propellers. Lots of yamaha drag props. I have several that are quicker and faster than the Yam wheels. It is from a huge effort on my part, Dave Bostic (who wanted to retire but I won't let him) that we are finally getting successfull. We are on the 3rd version of the Triton blade.(different than the ones you've seen or can buy out there) There is some new Ally props in developement. Neat stuff that all of us will benefit from.

I seem to have gone off on a long post here....you will find my way of thinking tends to stray from the norm. It is why I'm still doing this. I am always trying new things..trying to understand why one thing works and what would be the next step. Sometimes successful, sometimes not. For you guys reading my posts, keep an open mind and realize I would not post anything I have not tried. Justlike the lip on the Ally pad thing we all talked about a couple weeks ago. While I wouldn't recommend getting out the grinder to your pad, I have very successfully changed over a dozen of them. Point is there is always a better way if you take the effort to find it. You'll be faster or quicker if you put in the time.

Randy

Mike2002

I just noticed something...

From reading this post, do you all know who Randy sounds like?

A person who tries different things in an effort to get ahead, doesn't care about what worked in the past but is willing to try anything.... Does Allison Boats and Darris's past history ring a bell?

I am not saying they are the same but maybe some of their approaches are.

Mike2002

J

John Richied

I agree with you 100% Mike and I like Randy’s style…

Randy, how about the Hoss Wasp drag prop… is it much or is the Triton modified better in your testing?

Skydog

Randy

Well my info on Randy, boating was getting old fast! BLow motors and parts. All the time, i meet with Randy for dinner and he came up with a plan on what my needs are and what i wanted from my boat. After the dinner (that he paid for) I drove back home, 4 mounths later i pulled my boat to his shop. Where he had my motor and every thing ready to put on. He had a Hotel all set up for me (Paid for) The next day he put the motor all on my boat, took it out set it up. He over looks his work 2-3 times makes sure all good to go! The guy is unreal when it comes to set up and motors! When he talks i shut up! He has shown me so much stuff it is unreal! Some of the stuff i would have thought he was NUTS but i did what he said and it worked better than you would dream! Randy is the man and he will be building my motors until he is gone or i am!! :D

Thank you RANDY :D P.S. I now run a big family boat every weekend at 100++ MPH like she has training wheels!!

Skydog

GPI Racing

Wow guys, thanks...

Matt (skydog) has been moving up the ladder so fast pretty soon he won't need me! :shock: He even fixed a gearcase and shimmed it with instructions I was giving him over the phone. Pretty sharp guy and gaining knowledge all the time.

John, to answer your question on the Wasp, I have run these. They were originally designed to spool up or rev fast like the yamaha drag. They did this by design not by flex. When put on a low horsepower motor on a relatively heavy boat (not a real drag boat {300hp/500lb boat}but what most of us have) the low rpm and horses don't let the prop do what it so desperately want to do, that is spool up quickly. The Triton (T1 version) has more bite to it so moves the boat forward at lower propshaft speeds. This is what Lou and Bill Mason have "felt" when they ran the props I sent them. We are now playing with versions T3 (T2 was last fall) and they are even better in the respect of carrying the boat. This was something the Wasp needed the mega power for. Remember it was designed as a true race prop and not so much for us "regulars". Dave has been working on a 4 blade Wasp for the Allison and it shows great promise. A couple faster than the baseline Lightning ET that they have used. I sent 2 of them to a friend of mine in Dubai to run on his offshore boat and he has claimed a couple victories with them.

So, for the XB2002 that you have with the motor your using, the triton will run pretty hard. The Yamaha prop doesn't flex as much with limited horsepower so kind of "adjusts" itself and locks up more-so than if we had 100 more hp than you have now. But think of this...if we could USE this low end torque and transfer it to the water, still allowing the motor to rev up...you'd be quicker. That's what I've been working with Dave B. on. The T3 versions are better than my current Tritons..so we move the goal posts out and so on. Lou has a T3 24 Triton that is just about done....Dave wanted me to test the proto's before we sent any out, hence why Lou borrowed my T1 version. Can you imagine if we just sent the T3 out and it was a terd. :? I ran the first 2 proto's and they are 3-4% quicker and the handling is getting better. To the point where we make less trim adjustments. If I'm doing less with the buttons, I get to the other end quicker.

Hope these long posts don't bore you guys...

Keep in mind there is another prop that you haven't seen yet. Taylored for an Allison in a 3 blade. The guys at the 50th will see the first ones and get to try them. Project SPP is all I can say so far.

Randy

J

John Richied

Randy, I am running boats that are lighter then me, and have a lot more horsepower then I am running. My 1996 225 ProMax has never been torn down and the rotating assemble is stock (not ported and still has cast pistons). I did bolt on and modifications as listed.

 Oil injection removed
 7500 RPM rev limiter on my 824003 A 6 ECU (Rapair richened mid range too) with the 26 cc heads she turns to 7750 Rpm’s quick for some reason.
 26 cc Cylinder Heads (mix 102-103 octane / 43:1 Klotz Kl-333 oil mix)
 16 Amp stator / Lightweight Flywheel (260 JSRE lake cut lightened)
 Brucato SVS System
 Injector fuel screens removed
 Modified Sportmaster (1.87’s) with the welded on torque tab

When my XB-2002-CP leaves there is not one or two hop… it just leaves with my 24 Yamaha drag prop. What I did was move the setback to 10” (yeah that seems like a lot for drag racing) Then I had a brand new Yamaha 24 pitch drag prop modified as follows: I had cup added, not thinned as the drag racers do and a Merc hub installed. On the top I have about 10% slip.
The reason I went this way with the added cup is, and I may be wrong, I think I am making more horsepower/torque at the start of the race against the 280’s and bigger I have been racing. Plus this combination for me just lifts the whole hull… stern and bow, and I am gone. I think right now all I am lacking to run harder is horsepower on the topend and Rpm’s to finish the race.

I’m not sure at this point if I am going to do anything, but when I do I think forged pistons, and more Rpm’s is all I need to get more. Either that or keep my good ole 225 ProMax as is and buy a 260 modified drop on.