24 Hoss Triton VS 24 Yamaha drag

GPI Racing

John,

Your mods to the prop are pretty good actually and in the correct direction. The only difference in what I do is that I add a little tip pitch rather than cup. I have found that running as little cup as I can get away with always works better and is faster. Cup is basicly drag to a point. Most prop shops don't think this way so they add some cup to get somewhat the same effect. Not bad just a different way but not quite as effective.

The motor mods are good also and I have done several like yours. The 225 promax has porting that is closer to a 260 than most would think. this is why it doesn't mind rev-ing up toward 8 grand. The tranfer ports need some direction but for the most part the 2 motors run almost the same layout. The SVS front really rocks on a lazer motor doesn't it! You have built basicly a '92 mod-vp motor right down to the heads, but with a better intake. The only thing I'd say to watch is possibly the plastic needle bearing cages, they are the first thing that will give you trouble. Since nobody makes a good affordable forged piston, go with a QUALITY piston and you'll never have issues. The old ART (Arias Racing Technology) pistons in the 2.4s were worth 2 horse a hole because the high silicon gave it a better fit when heated up. The same thing is avalible for your engine. The cost is quite economical. We regularly spin them above 9500 with out any issues and have for, going on, 4 years.

Anyway, we need to get you to try one of the new props side by side with the stuff you have and see if there is a gain. I think there might be...we have nothing to lose. Also, I ran 9 inches of set back on my XB2002 so your right on target there too. It'd be nice to get together and BS about stuff, hope you can make it to the 50th.

Randy

J

John Richied

If I do anything to my engine I’m going to wait until this winter… I don’t want to be down (fingers crossed) or without my boat if at all possible this summer.

I do like the idea of getting rid of the plastic bearing cages, even though they’re probably lighter… LOL
Some work on the transfer ports, Arias Racing Technology pistons and SPS rod bolts sound like the ticket. With the ART pistons and rings would I need to tear down and re ring every 50-100 hours? The reason I ask is I really don't have any Merc 2.5 high performance engine builders here in Washington I know of and trust.

The SVS really is worth the full price for sure! I got lucky and found one used a few years ago because a guy wanted to go fishing tournaments and his engine had to be factory stock. Like you said, ”it rocks!”

If I make the 50th I will definitely look you up. These Hoss drag props and the Titus Sportmaster gearcase modification look like they have a bright future with Allison owners.

Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge with us wanna be racers…
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: