250 Sport XS on the GrandSport

whipper

Whipper my 225 pm was doing the same thing as you spoke of earlier. over heating low rpm. I had my motor rebuilt this past winter. I asked the builder why it was doing that. He said it was a seal going bad in the motor. After rebuild it does not do it any more. It has not got over 140. Hope my remark does not ruin the possibilities of a new one with wife! ;)
I wont show her that.:twisted evil I figured as much because even though it was better for the first few years its just gotten worse over time. Still want the grunt of the BB im sure of that for what i want to do. Its just time to try somthing differant mostly. Also want the new boat when it comes out so Ill have the power for her when that is. Ill probably wait a couple years after the reliese for the 23 fter and enjoy the 300 on the GS for a while.

Last edited:

whipper

Hears a quote on that 300xs spec. "The other is 300xs power, Nass Cowl, factory skirt, Taylor 15" SS mid w/ 2.5 sporty. Weight est. 420 lb":beer:

The SS and cowl save alot as well as the lightened flywheel. 1300 for the mid,1000 cowl sell 3.2 SM and buy 2.5 SM. Lightened Flywheel cost not sure? so basicly for 2500 more ya got one sick setup SS-XS within the right weight for our hulls!!:beer:

Darth VMAX

I think the only real advantage a Shorty mid is lowering the center of gravity and looks. There really isn't any weight savings with the SS over a 20" mid. At least thats the way Mercury lists it for the 2.5L motors.

Bobalouie

I think the only real advantage a Shorty mid is lowering the center of gravity and looks. There really isn't any weight savings with the SS over a 20" mid. At least thats the way Mercury lists it for the 2.5L motors.
Actually its the other way around. A 20" mid is around 20lbs lighter than a 15". The lightest weight way to go 15" is to get a Chapman cut down 20".

Darth VMAX

I had "heard" (read) that the SS Mercs were 15ish lbs heavier, however I was just referring to my 1998 MErcury Racing catalog I have on my desk in front of me.There is no difference in weight between the 20" and 15" mids listed there. That was the only "proof" that I had to go off of LOL.

But yeah, that seems to be a consensus that the 15" mids are indeed heavier than the 20" mids.

whipper

The 15inch Taylor mid is lighter than the 3.2lts 20 inch mid. Maybe not the case with the 2.5ss over 2.5 20 because the Clamps beifier on the 15ss 2.5. Going 2.5 SM on a 3.2lt have many advantages on a lighter hull that has lift already. The 3.2lt SM is larger and has more lift that may or maynot be a good thing on a GS? I would think the 2.5 sm has more than enough surface area to carry a GS well pluss not sure but the 2.5 sm is probably lighter than the 3.2lt sm?. The 3.2 might get flighty at higher speeds in comparisen? Theres also the Ratcheting option with the 2.5 over the 3.2 witch i think is a good idea when running 30-32pitch wheels on a lighter hull.

Im not sure if you could but I dont see why not,you can do everything that 300xs has on the exteriour cowl,lower and 2.5 mid to the 250xs also. On the 21fters and the fishing loads you all carry the 3.2lt SM is probably best. As far as swamping a 15 goes in a XS time will tell. A little gas at the right time just before stopping makes a big differance. The pans seem higher on the newer motors over the older 2.5,s also?

xb03fs

What about cooling is the water pump the same?

GotMyAlly

Is the 3.2 SM different than the 3.0 SM?

I'd swear my 3.0 SM is the same size as my old 2.5 sporty, but I never put them side by side. Only visible difference I could see was the thickness of the leg, above the bullet, but that would be out of the water anyway at speed so it shouldn't matter.

whipper

Is the 3.2 SM different than the 3.0 SM?

I'd swear my 3.0 SM is the same size as my old 2.5 sporty, but I never put them side by side. Only visible difference I could see was the thickness of the leg, above the bullet, but that would be out of the water anyway at speed so it shouldn't matter.
Ya your probably right about the two being the same. I just read were the 2.5 case was smaller? Adam who runs the motor in the Clip said the two cases ran the same speed.

xb03fs

DBR can take 7-8 lbs off the flywheel a cowl 10 more I think a the pan a few more. And then the tuner can be change to save few more. I think a 2.5 mid could save a few more. Don't think the gearcase saves any. If you have the cash weight can be removed. Supposedly the light flywheel is the most noticeable gain.

whipper

DBR can take 7-8 lbs off the flywheel a cowl 10 more I think a the pan a few more. And then the tuner can be change to save few more. I think a 2.5 mid could save a few more. Don't think the gearcase saves any. If you have the cash weight can be removed. Supposedly the light flywheel is the most noticeable gain.
All this can be done to the 250XS also right?

xb03fs

I would assume yes but I have only been researching.

harrells

Did some prop testing yesterday. Still not in the rpm range of this motor but here are the #'s of the fastest prop of the day. It's a worked 28 to 27 Trophy+ with the Allison cut and some tip cup, spinning only 5900rpm @ 94.5mph 2 people in boat. Not the greatest holeshot but handled great on top. Gonna try a 27 pro max next week.

GotMyAlly

5900 is pretty close to where that motor makes it's peak power RPM wise. Even though the rev limiter is 6350, the power falls off sharply after 6k.

whipper

Did ya get out and try the Promax prop or any others Harrels? I would think a 30 Drag4 or 30 Hydromotive Quad ot would still rip ya out of the hole and handle well on the big end? I know when wildman was testing the 250 and 300xs on his Libs and Checkmates he used to say how he liked the Drag4 on these motors. The 300pm GS from some years ago also liked the Drag4 in a 32 on his setup. A larger dia prop like a 14 3/8 to 15 dia guys seem to like on other hulls with these motors I've been reading. I cant wait to start rigging my own BB on the GS. :beer:

Allyfishing

If you think a worked 28 to a 27 is bad *** then you should just get a 27 and have it cut and worked. Wish I had the allison cut 27P Trophy plus yet to send to ya but I sold it. That was a bad *** prop.